Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Another Newbie.

CZshooter

Hello all! I've been shooting IDPA about 4 months. Love it. Found this site a couple weeks ago and it's great. I have Brian's book on the way, should be here this week.

I'm not new to shooting, just actual competition. Been a gun nut a while.

I shot 2 matches then shot the classifier. Made SS in ESP. Been to 3 matches since then. I can't believe I waited so long to do this.

My goal is to shoot expert by spring. Told the wife what I need for Christmas is a shot timer! :D and lots of ammo.

Just want to say thanks for having this site with so much good info.

Shoot straight, John.

Welcome to the forums. Always nice to welcome new members. If you aren't reloading yet that I would suggest starting there.

As for timers... I had the debate a few months ago and bought mine from this site. It's the Pact Timer. What a great tool and it even comes with a built in Chrono.

I have a CZ too. :rolleyes: It's funny cause I bought it a few years ago and absolutely hated it. I put it away about a year ago and haven't touched it until about a month ago. I took it out to see if it still worked and I actually now like the gun. Similiar ergonomics to a 1911. The trigger isn't the best but for a $400 gun you just can't go wrong.

Pete

Cz Welcomes you all

I think my collection of CZ's is up to about 12 now, not including the rifles and the .17HMR I have is the sweetest shooting rifle I have found in a long time.

I know the trigger from the factory are not that great but you can do a whole lot with them, my production gun an 85 has a 1.2lb single and about 4.5lbs on the double.

The SA's and the 40S&W standard gun are pretty damn good triggers.

I just recived a PO1, all I can say is NICE.

Anyone have any good production 9mm loads? i am sure that is a topic for elsewhere.

I have been playing with the 147 Zero JHP and N310?

Angus,

That's my favorite load for the nine ever...it would need a comp to get any better.

Back on topic: I had a CZ champion in .40 that was a great limited (local rules) bowling pin gun. They outlawed comps in limited after me and that champion got done with 'em...

SA

I had a CZ75 for a long time and it was a great gun. The problem was that my fingers were too short to reach the trigger and the thumb safety, so eventually I had to face facts and let someone else enjoy it for a low, low, price. ;)

I've handled and dry fired the CZ75 IPSC Standard gun some and it's a great gun! The single action trigger is a lot better than stock 1911 from a factory that I've felt, but then who leaves their 1911 trigger pull factory stock?

I think the CZ75 IPSC Standard would make a great Limited-10 gun if your hands/fingers are big enough. It would make a great Limited gun if by some miracle you could get 140mm magazines or standard capacity mags and long base pads for it.

For those who may not have heard of Angus, he is the top CZ guy right now having placed 5th in Production at the Nationals shooting (I think) the CZ-85 Combat - a fantastic gun that is much like the 75B but without the "Series 80" style firing pin safety to heavy up the trigger & without the Euro-inspired "mag break" that stops the 75B from dropping mags all the way out (easily dis-abled if you buy a 75B). This thing also comes with a 6 groove barrel (very accurate), a non-reflective parkerized slide (in the dual tone gun anyway) trigger adjustable for overtravel, adjustable sights & about the most comfortable grip on the planet! All this for about $500. For those considering joining the ranks of Production Division shooters, the CZ-85 Combat would be an excellent gun to start with & it has the potential to take you to the top levels of USPSA competition.

Angus wrote: "Anyone have any good production 9mm loads? i am sure that is a topic for elsewhere. I have been playing with the 147 Zero JHP and N310?"

Yep - about 3.2 grns of the stuff & I load it out WAY long for 9x19 at about 1.155". At the Sectional this load chronoed just over 900 FPS out of some of the 9mm military cases (lower case volume) with Star brand FMJ RNs. I have also used the Zero 147 JHP (slightly shorter) Master Match 147 FMJs in RN & TC, and even West Coast Plated 147 RN. The CZ gobled up everything without a hitch! The primers do flatten a little but nothing to worry about and, the recoil? What recoil?

Angus: what weight recoil spring are you using in your 85? I shot most of '03 with a borrowed 75B & just bought the 85 Combat for next year but the recoil spring seems a bit heavy. Any suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for the welcome! :)

I got my timer Saturday! Early Christmas present. My brother and dad went in together on it. Got it early cause the family was together this past weekend and won't be on Christmas.

Anyway it's a PACT club timer II. Tried it out at the range yesterday. Works great, after I adjusted the sensitivity setting for shooting indoors. It was recording 2 shots for every trigger pull at first.

Timed 7 Mozambiques. Best= 1.96, worst= 2.23, average= 2.10, Average 1.45 to the first shot. These are only counting the ones with no points down.

Timed 9 Bill Drills. Best= 2.51, worst=3.15, avg.=2.76. Time to first shot avg 1.42, splits avg .26 to .28. Couple runs I had a point down and didn't record time.

This was all at 7 yards with a CZ-75 in a Safariland 560. (IDPA rig)

I have a long way to go I know. :D Not too bad on the mozambiques I think, but I've been practicing them. Bill drill times don't sound so great compared to what I've read you guys doing in another thread, but I never really practiced them before. Sort of slow draw times too I guess. It seems to me I do the actual draw really smooth and quick, but getting that first sight picture takes too long? Same with reloads, I can get the mag in OK, but actually getting the gun back on target and getting an aimed shot off feels like it takes as long as switching mags. Speed reloads ranged from 1.84 to 2.20 between shots.

Oh yeah, I got "The Book" a couple of weeks ago, but I haven't had time to read much of it.

I do come to this site in the evenings and gather knowlege from all of you more enlightened ones. :)

Thanks, John.

I'm still not sure about the bullet weight, i like the feel of it but the muzzele rise is excessive the light bullets 115 etc seem to snap back into pace a lot quicker, more felt recoil but less percivable muzzel rise, i am going to play with some slower powder this week, i will egt back when i have

Gun smiths for CZ, well I do all my own work so me me me.

Actually any reputable gunsmith that used to work on P9's would be a good start, the CZ sytem is the same as the P9. With the CZ if you watch carefully the hammer goes back before it is release this is a combat style trigger and designed to have very few problems.

I get into the gun, lighten the reurn spring first then the sear spring, then i take meat off the top of the hammer hooks, only problem then is that during a slow let off the hammer can hit the doube action paul on the way down this is a little more complicated to deal with. I personally do not touch the sear.

Sometime a little polishing between the trigger bow and the frame is usefull.

Also the lack of a trigger block in the 85 is helpfull, I take the safety block out of the 75's but that is ME and I don't recomend that for anyting but a "RACE ONLY CZ"

I was concerned about wear to the hammer hooks after stoning down, but my current 85 has about 10k on the trigger job and has no problems.

I have about 1.2lb on the single and about 4.5lb on the double

• 4 weeks later...
For those who may not have heard of Angus, he is the top CZ guy right now having placed 5th in Production at the Nationals shooting (I think) the CZ-85 Combat

Angus is also a gentleman and an excellent Ambassador for IPSC, and I was extremely proud of him for his performances in various matches over the years, not least of which was WSXII in Cebu in 1999, however ....... if Angus ever offers to drive you anywhere, particularly in a rental car down a very narrow and twisty Greek mountain road ............

DON'T GO WITH HIM.

I still have nightmares from the European Championships in Greece in 1998 - in fact, that reminds me - I should go back and retrive the intestines I left there :wacko: