Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Psv5 Winning Idpa Techniques Reviews!

MattBurkett

Hi Everyone! Hope the spam isn't minded too much. :-)

Sorry I have been slacking on the tips lately, but we have been working on

Volume 5 and Volume 6 of the Practical Shooting series. V 5 is now an IDPA

DVD since Kevin Elpers (the student) was available on short notice. Volume 6

will be a practice and preparing for a major match DVD that should hopefully

be available in December. We have some incredible footage for V6 as I shot

the entire Desert Classic (Area 2) championship with a helmet camera! It

looks almost like a video game! :-)

I will try and get some video clips up from V5 in the next week as time

permits.

You can pre-order Volume 5 Winning IDPA Techniques at:

Pre-order link.

Ron,

:lol:

I understand!

Thanks to everyone for the support!

BTW there are over 900+ IDPA stages on the DVD that you can print out and practice!

Now I just have the fun of making it work on everyones computer! It will play normally in a DVD player and when you place it in a computer, you can access web links, pdf's, and the stages. Pretty darn cool. B)

Take care,

Matt

smoney,

It is great to help out others and be able to do what you love! Gotta get Dillon a print of the cover for the Feb. issue of Blue Press.

It is going to be interesting getting the feedback off of V5 as I am wondering how people will like it. Some of the content is just ok- like when we are discussing the division stuff, then there are some great nuggets of info here and there - like which knee to use around which side of cover. The stage designs are awesome and final count is 939.. Only found one minor oops so far on the DVD during the classifier. On one string I start with my hands up instead of at sides. Oh well, we had to reshoot the classifier anyways since Kevin's glasses were protecting his hat and not his eyes. Didn't catch it until we were on stage 3. Bummer but we shoot a hard schedule and mistakes get made. You may like some of the new editing stuff I did. Had some audio issues towards the end of filming. Hopefully it doesn't affect the production value too much. Frustrating to have that with 5K worth of mikes on the set! Will have a full audio guy there next time. The graphics on the video and the dvd are a ton better. (I think so anyway) The menus are improved and have motion and sound. I can't wait to do V6 and make it even cooler!

I am actually going to take tomorrow off. I can't wait. Going :wacko:right now.

Take care and Happy Thanksgiving!

Matt

since Kevin Elpers (the student) was available on short notice

You know Matt, I was thinking, maybe Mr. Elpers should have an understudy.............. fairly competent with a pistol.... down home "Tom Bodet-type" presence on camera......ruggedly handsome........uh...did I mention ruggedly handsome?? :rolleyes: AND AVAILABLE ON VERY SHORT NOTICE!!! (unless I'm working as stunt double for Tom Selleck) :lol:

Just kidding. But, I am going out to buy a DVD player today so I can start aquiring the MB library. I already own #4, but my dang 'puter dosn't have the driver to watch DVD movies.

sleep fast, will ya?

V6 is about a month or so away. Hopefully sooner. Will be filming again after the Sniper National Championships in Texas on the 12th. Looking at a January ship date for V6. Crossing my fingers at least.

Trying to figure out how to incorporate a lot of information from different areas of competition shooting and have it make logical sense. Preparing for a major match, moving targets, practice, etc... Still have to figure out a name for it. :-) Maybe I should have a naming contest!

It is going to be interesting getting the feedback off of V5 as I am wondering how people will like it.

Well, send me a copy and I'll review it for you! B)

Hey, when you coming to Dallas next? Brad and I will take you out!

Scott

First review is in:

Since there still isn't a forum for reviewing PSV #5, I though I would post my short review here.

As I understand it, PSV #5 will be shipping this week.  Luckily, I have a friend who was down in Arizona training with Matt last week. And one of the things he brought back was a preview copy PSV #5.

The DVD started with Matt and Kevin covering the safety aspect of shooting.  Then Matt and Kurt Von Rice covered the rules and basics of IDPA.  A discussion on gears follows, which also includes an interview with Matt Kartozian of CustomGlock.com on "illegal" equipment for IDPA.

Matt worked on Draws, Reload, clearing Malfunction, Priority vs Sequence and Movement with Kevin.

Matt then shot all the stages of the Classifier.

As you guys know, Matt always try and bring something new to his videos.  In this DVD, it was the bonus stages.  Watching a morph image of Matt and another shooter shooting the same stage really showed where time is lost on a stage.

And besides the video there's also a section on the DVD for the computer.  This includes the IDPA application and printable IDPA stages.

The production value was excellent as always.

This is another "Must Buy" from Matt.

Nick

*ps* A teaser... my buddy told me he saw parts of PSV #6 and it was the best one yet.

Orders will start shipping in the morning. May take two days to handle all of them. People should start seeing them in their mail box starting on Saturday depending on what part of the country they live in. Could arrive as late as Wed - Friday in some areas with the Christmas season on us.

Hope you guys enjoy them. Please post what you think here and on my forums if you get a chance.

Thanks and happy holidays to everyone!

Just got volume 5 today i totally reccomend buying it to ANYONE even experienced IDPA shooters.

In all honesty i knew about 95% of what was covered on the video. but it's taken me YEARS to find all that stuff out, or figure it out for my self.

much good info and a lot of cool shooting added in, will have to see about the DVD-Rom features i don't ahve a DVD player on my PC but do of course have a CD rom.

Happy shooting to all. (better review later)

Steve

Matt,

I just ordered 4 & 5 off your web site and put in a request to Santa for a DVD player for Christmas. Looking forward to hearing more about 6.

I am thinking about ordering Ron's video's also, no such thing as too much information. I have your 1,2&3 on VHS. And Rob's and Tod's and a bunch from Arkansas.

Got it & it's very good. Almost enough to make me buy a Fobus holster & try one match. Maaaaaayyybe. I've pre-ordered every volume, waiting on V6.

Great to see that Matt can provide products that are a BARGAIN for us and also put a few nickels in his piggy bank too. DVD's put him over the top I think.

He's the only shooter who brought a real business plan to go with a desire to shoot for a living & he's made it work year after year. Makes me smile. :)

Just finished watching volume 5, twice all the way through, slow-moed the stages a lot. Good stuff. I thought the best parts were where Matt was analyzing the other shooter's performance, and demonstrating where the time was lost.

Two things bugged me. First, Matt and Kevin's faces were heavily shadowed by the brims of their hats. Minor point, but once I noticed it, I kept noticing it and found it distracting. But then, I probably have adult ADD or something.

Second, the use of the phrase, "take and.....fill in the blank". I had a Sergeant at Fort Sam during AIT who never ordered us to do anything, he always ordered us to "take and clean the barracks," etc. During the video I was having flashbacks (I am NOT a combat vet), as Matt used this phrase repeatedly. Don't take and do something, just do it!

As a side note, IDPA needs another class to recognize the performance level of folks like Matt. Wow.

I also cracked up when Elpers says in the out takes that an IDPA shooter isn't going to know what a F'ing A-zone is. For some reason, that one was a killer.

Thanks for all the hard work Matt.

John and Caspian, thanks so much for the comments!

The shadows were a nightmare. I scheduled the vid shoot for Oct hoping we would get an overcast day. Of course not, Mr. Murphy visited us and gave us a bright and sunny 104 degree day. The 12 hour shoot was a bit of hell, but, we got it done.

Sorry about the take and blahh stuff. Will work on that. Also need to work on the usage of the word "alright" which drove me nutz in editing. Think I said it about 40 times in the video. At least that is what it felt like.

Trying to make better products which also includes fixing some of my speech impediments. :blink:

Sorry about the sound during the classifier. Kevin's mike had dropped and we didn't catch it until too late.

Anyother suggestions or comments on how I can do the next one better?

Merry Christmas!

I enjoyed and recommend the video. The title "Winning IDPA Techniques" led me to believe there would be more emphasis on improving my scores and not so much on fundamentals (rules, gear, etc.) An example of what I could use more of is the instruction on doing "military turns" on the classifier strings that start with the shooter's back to the target; that will take off some time. (Maybe those sorts of things are covered in earlier videos - which I haven't seen.)

However, the video is a great reference on how to shoot the qualifier. I took Matt's scores string by string and scaled them down to Expert SSP goals to work toward. I then compared those goals to my last qualifer scores and discovered that I shot fast enough to make Expert, but I missed too much. So my plan is to reduce my misses while maintaining my speed and move up at our next club qualifier in the spring; of course practice is the only way to get there.

The Excel spreadsheet is available via e-mail for those of you who are as pedantic as I am.

Matt,

I really enjoyed the video and thanks again for using the DVD format.

So many thing were done right I'll just focus on a few minor comments to make future DVD's even better. The helmet cam was awesome as is the use of fades/transitions.

1. I find the background shooting distracting when you are talking to us on camera. Not all the time but in certain sections of the video. Noticed the same in V5. I would think much of your instruction could be done indoors (read cooler & quieter). Maybe going to the cameraman’s location could save some coin. I'm sure it's someone local. Recommended indoor sections could be the Intro, Scoring Targets, Gear Section & Illegal Equipment. Your lighting/sound would be consistent and the camera gear would stay cleaner.

2. In the Gear Section you failed to discuss the timer or gear bag on the table. That timer looked BIG. No dimensions on the IDPA box were given (guess they're at IDPA.com). Boots don't have SPIKES (well most don't) they have LUGS, (ALLRIGHT?) LOL! Then you described the second pair of boots smoother sole, were they the same manufacturer? What were the boots you were wearing in the video? The soles looked really flexible.

3. Malfunction Section the tac priority started out of focus.

As mentioned above a reflector to fill in shadows on your face would be nice. Same on V4. Kevin’s holster looked like it was in the IPSC position by the end of the day. If I recall his glasses were on his hat when scoring the targets. Looked like he was MIFFED (that's the step before pissed-off) when you got him good in the circle movement drill. That section cracked me up (been there done that and felt the same way, LOL). His out-takes were good. I noticed a lot of improvement in Kevin between V4 & V5, guess hang'n out with you is paying off! I'd recommend another trouser color than black because on camera all the gear blends together and is difficult to see.

I've watched V5 2 times on TV and once on the computer. I had a lot of trouble getting it to work on the computer for some reason. I'll try it again today because I think you said there was some extras that could be accessed on the computer vs the DVD player.

None of the above is meant to be critical just my opinion where some improvements could be made. Bottom line AWESOME job looking forward to V6.