Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which gun to start with, and eyes

Ohioguy

Couple of questions for the experienced shooters.

99% of my shooting has been plinking. I am always trying to improve, but quite honestly, I have never really read about, or watched videos on how to shoot right. I am to the point now though that I want to practice right, and do right. My question is which gun to start with.

I purchased a new S&W 625-8. I bought it for two reasons. One is to compete with a revo, and the other is simply I wanted one. I have a Glock 17 that I have been using in IDPA, box stock. I truly like both guns, and enjoy shooting both. Being two different styles of handguns, I and am wondering if I should start with a specific one. Ultimately, I would like to see me shooting the revo in competition.AS of now though, I am more comfortable with the Glock, since I have been shooting it longer, and more familiar. Would starting with the Glock and relearning how to shoot carry over to the revo down the line? Or should I simply concentrate on the revo out of the box? I am sure there are several of you who went from autos to revo's, so I would like to hear your experiences.

The next question refers to eyesight. I have been wearing glassed for the last several years. I wore contacts for a time, but was tired of the issues I had with them. I am now back to contacts as of today. I discussed my shooting with the doctor, and I believe he understands what improvements I am looking for. WIth the glassed I was wearing, I simply could not see the front sight clearly on any of the guns I have been shooting. With the new contacts I have in now, there needs to be some tweaking (which the dr. said we may need to do), as things aren't as clear as I think they should be. Maybe my eyes are tired-we'll see if things improve tomorrow.

Currently I shoot with the left eye closed. I am right handed and right eye dominant. My understanding is I need to shoot with both eyes open. I have an astigmatism in my left eye that does affect my vision that has been very difficult to fix apparently, as I still see the affects of it in my everyday vision. Can anyone give me input with vision problems? Any suggestions that I can discuss with my doc?

I solved a similar eyesight problem by doing the following: I had a pair of glasses made that has the right lens set up for reading a computer monitor (arms length away, not reading a book distance which is closer). My left lens is set up for distance. I put the glasses on a half hour before I shoot and my brain adapts to them. Now when I look through them the front sight is clear and I can still see the target in the distance. Hope this helps.

Misread your original post... You were not referring to cross eye dominance issue and as already suggested....Rx solutions mentioned may be what you need... (deleted the irrelevant section)

As to shooting that round gun, just start and ignore comments about sundials from your squad.

Revos are incredibly well suited for dry fire and you can get quality practice time that way.

Also moonclip some dummies loads and run some quality reload practices at home as well.

Edited by Wideload

Ohioguy,

Maybe someone can direct you to shooting videos which will help you decide what you want to practice and then look for them in the "Classifieds". Go to the Revo thread and they will tell you "SHOOT THE REVO!"...Go to the Glock thread and they will tell you "SHOOT THE GLOCK!" Transitioning shouldn't be difficult grip/presentation wise because of the grip angle. Trying to figure out your reloads can be a B...h with the revo but a lot of fun. It might take a full season shooting only the Glock/revo to decide which you like best. Both have their places and both are fun. Sounds like dapribek has a good idea for him which I might try. I would discuss similar contacts with your Dr.

JMHO

Richard

I solved a similar eyesight problem by doing the following: I had a pair of glasses made that has the right lens set up for reading a computer monitor (arms length away, not reading a book distance which is closer). My left lens is set up for distance. I put the glasses on a half hour before I shoot and my brain adapts to them. Now when I look through them the front sight is clear and I can still see the target in the distance. Hope this helps.

+1! They call it "monovision". I'm cross-dominant, so my left eye is front sight focus and the right is distance. Takes

me about 20 minutes to adapt. Pushing 60 years old, and without the new glasses I probably wouldn't shoot iron sights much. Mine are Rx inserts in a pair of Bolle' Vigilantes.

What to shoot? I started with a 1911 in L10, went to Glocks in Production, Limited and Open, run a 625 in Revo.

Lately I've been spending most of my time back where I started--a 1911 in Single Stack.

IT'S ALL GOOD. Pick one and go for it. Get a few matches behind you, don't go buying a bunch of gear until you

figure out what you really need, ask a lot of questions, be safe and have FUN. :cheers:

I am going to give my eyes a chance to adjust to the new contacts for a couple days, and see if anything changes.

I was sent a pm about 'taping' that I might try first. Its definitely a cheap fix, but something I think I should try before investing more money into specific shooting glasses.

The monovision suggestion makes sense though. If the taping doesn't seem to improve things, then I will look into that option.

As far as the revo/glock, I have everything I need for competing with the glock currently, so I am going to start out with that. I am going to make a few inquiries as to revo equipment, collect those items over the winter, and start next season fresh.

Thanks for the tips- I greatly appreciate it.

I tried the " mono vision " a couple of times. Once with contacts, which I could not wear. I went nuts trying to drive, read signs, etc. Then I had a set of shooting glasses made with the right lens set for the front sight. Worked really great for indoor close targets, but past 15 yards the target was really blurry. I have been using a red fiber optic front sight which helps. I hope you find something and I will monitor the thread and see if I can pick up some ideas for me also.

thanks and good luck,

George

Edited by gfmun

Back to guns, I don't find it particularly restrictive to shoot either, as far as ability goes. There is a difference in approach in the divisions, as Revolver division requires quite a bit more caution, but the vast majority of skills (reload excepted) translate.

For what it's worth, Revolver is more fun for me.

H.