Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Moon Clips For A .357

Lubecktech

Lubecktech, I have seen it done. One issue I have noticed is that it makes it brass sensitive so yu will have to watch the brass you use. Winchester brass in some clips will not fit perfectly in the cylinder. Upside: you get all your barass back, if cut correctly you can use speedloaders whenever the desire strikes you, a gentler learning curve for most people learnig the aspects of speed loading. Whichever route you take, good luck. Later rdd

But they make you use speed loaders in IDPA except when 45ACP is used.

That is incorrect. You can use any moonclip gun in ESR. You just have to meet the 165 PF. You can use an L-frame cut for moonclips but it's going to be hard on the gun and hard on your hands shooting those loads on a continual basis. I've tried that with a .40 646 @ 165PF and it's not much fun even though I like the way the L-frame handles better than the N-frame.

Jerry

Edited by COF

It can be done. I have a 586 and a 686SSR cut for moonclips (Thanks TK). It's a challenge no matter what the bullet weight. You won't be shooting 500 rd/week in practice very long.

I used my 686SSR with moonclips as my second gun at the IRC this year (in the "IDPA" and "6-shooter" categories). I managed to beat an odd-looking fellow with a 4" 625 who claimed he was the IDPA Outdoor National Champion. It was a lot of fun.

If it is done right, it really adds to the guns versatility.

As Bubba noted, you'll have to be particular about your brass, but the good news is you get it all back. It's not too hard to keep it separate, but you'll have to pay attention. I use Starline Ni-plated brass in Hearthco moonclips because it's easy to keep it separate by headstamp and finish.

Craig

Edited by Bones

Pinnacle-guns.com

I had my 686+ converted to moon clips by Mark Hartshorne of Pinnacle Guns. He did a great job. I mailed my cylinder to him, he cut it and mailed it back. I'd shoot him an e-mail to find out when he plans to do the next batch first though.

Edited by pstew

I have not had a revolver cut for moon clips yet, first I wanted to find a major load that was pleasant to shoot.

With a 200 grain bullet one only has to get 825 FPS to make major. A 200 grain bullet at that velocity is not at all unpleasant to shoot. I was getting an average of 875 fps with both 6.9 grains of HS-6 and 9.5 grains of 2400 in .38 Special cases out of my 4" 681. The only disadvantage of the 200 grain bullets is that they are expensive and hard to locate. The solution is to cast one's own, which is the route I went, with a Lyman 358430 mold.

I have not had a revolver cut for moon clips yet, first I wanted to find a major load that was pleasant to shoot.

With a 200 grain bullet one only has to get 825 FPS to make major. A 200 grain bullet at that velocity is not at all unpleasant to shoot. I was getting an average of 875 fps with both 6.9 grains of HS-6 and 9.5 grains of 2400 in .38 Special cases out of my 4" 681. The only disadvantage of the 200 grain bullets is that they are expensive and hard to locate. The solution is to cast one's own, which is the route I went, with a Lyman 358430 mold.

Check out Bear Creek Supply in Waterford, CA tel# 209-874-4322. They are not on the web anymore so a phone call is the only way to contact them. I have been using their moly coated bullets since before they closed their web-site and they are very good. They ship using the USPS bulk box and if your order totals $95 or more the shipping is included in the total price. They show a 180gr FP for .38 sized 358 and the next size up is a 230gr bowling pin bullet. I just received 4000 158gr RN this week. I have been using them in a heavy barrel 686 and they will group 2 inches or less at 50 yards shooting prone from a mat. Their prices are not bad at all for today's world. 180's go for $36.50 per 500 and the 230's go for $42.50 per 500.