Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fire in the hills over JPL

ChuckS

Thats my old hood .. Almost every weekend was spent in Angeles Crest growing

up in the Glendale area. Hiking, biking, fishing, etc.. :angry2:

Although it will be a very cool place again in 2-3 years when all of the fire activated

seeds take hold ...

Edited by P.Pres

You would think, given California's habit of burning for 6 months out of the year, that they would cut some serious firebreaks into those forests. Sell all the cut wood as firewood to those in Washington state to help pay for it. We had hoped Hurricane Jimene would come roaring up the California coast and dump some much needed rain on those hills.

Regardless, my prayers go out to the men and women risking their lives to fight this and to the families forced to flee and those who have lost everything.

Cool photo

Hope it doesn't burn down into the city.

The last status that I saw was 56% containment and it is heading in the Northeast direction away from populated areas. No big winds for this one. The guy in charge said that if we had Santa Ana winds during this there would of been no stopping it.

The last status that I saw was 56% containment and it is heading in the Northeast direction away from populated areas. No big winds for this one. The guy in charge said that if we had Santa Ana winds during this there would of been no stopping it.

With a fire that size most of that statement at best is wishful thinking, there is really no stopping it now. There are only three ways to put fire out, take away its fuel, take away its oxygen, or cool it below the point of ingnition. On fires that size we (the little arrogant humans who think we are oh so important) aren't doing a damn thing to change its course. That is mother nature at work and she will do whatever she damn well pleases when she pleases for as long as she pleases. Then when she decides to stop, we can continue step forward and take credit for it. :)

edited to point out I was just using the information in Chuck's post not directing my comments towards him personally :D

Edited by smokshwn

Wow Chuck,

I was driving out of town on the 10 from Venice, two weeks ago, and sneeking peeks at the flames over the city. (It was 10 PM) I'm really shocked that fire is still going. I hope they catch the person who started this. Still though, it will have to be proved arson, and not accident. Often the evidence of who gets obliterated while trying to extinguish the fire itself.

We will see.

JimmyZip

Although it will be a very cool place again in 2-3 years when all of the fire activated

seeds take hold ...

This isn't a comment toward anyone that lives in the area. but men have been slowly encroaching on forested areas for decades. Nature has a cleansing method in the forest called fires. Usually started by lightning in ages gone by, they always result in a healthier forest as indicated in P.Pres's quote above. Men have tried with controlled burns and firebreaks to govern the direction and intensity of forest fires, but as smokshwn said, they pretty much go where they want to. All the fire-fighters can do is try to protect life and property.

My hat is off to any firefighter that braves the forest fires in this country.

fwiw

dj