Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 gun carbine front post or not?

jmurch

I'm setting up a carbine for 3 gun. I plan to use a millet or nikon 1-4x. Since I am building it now I have the choice of a pic front gas block or a post. I'm wondering how useful a BUIS would be even if the rear was flip up since won't the scope be in the way anyway?

TIA, Jeff

Edited by jmurch

I'm setting up a carbine for 3 gun. I plan to use a millet or nikon 1-4x. Since I am building it now I have the choice of a pic front gas block or a post. I'm wondering how useful a BUIS would be even if the rear was flip up since won't the scope be in the way anyway?

TIA, Jeff

If you are falling back on a BUIS in a 3 gun match, it is over. I have somehow done pretty well in many a 3 gun match with no BUIS whatsoever. This is not to say that BUIS don't have application on tactical carbines but even there I think their importance is overrated.

Theoretically it would give you the flexability, if you used a mount like a LaRue SPR that will come off and re-attach w/o losing zero, to have a limited and tac optic gun in one platform. Having shot a match or two now :rolleyes: I've never felt the least bit of worry using my non-quick detach scope mount and having no back up irons.

The one time I saw a scope (mount) fail in a match was a close range stage and the shooter looked down the barrel and blazed away, finishing the stage. No names mentioned (mike) :ph34r:

With the carbine, I'd go with a low profile gas block so you can use a rifle length handguard. After shooting a few rifles w/ the rifle HG, it's hard to go back to even a midlength handguard, and you can forget about me using carbine length handguards ever again- stretch that support arm on out there. If you use a standard front sight base, you're stuck w/ whatever length handguards your gas system is set up for.

Edited by Bryan 45

I have never seen a "mount fail" and neather has the flaming chichen boy....Now I did see a competitor fail to mount the mount right once :roflol:

As for the front sight, you WILL see it on 1X if you need back up sights and just can't live without them, get a fold down front also. KurtM

I have never seen a "mount fail" and neather has the flaming chichen boy....Now I did see a competitor fail to mount the mount right once :roflol:

As for the front sight, you WILL see it on 1X if you need back up sights and just can't live without them, get a fold down front also. KurtM

Come now, Kurt; Hes not Flaming, hes just enthusiastic!

:roflol:

• 1 month later...

TIA, Jeff

If you are falling back on a BUIS in a 3 gun match, it is over. I have somehow done pretty well in many a 3 gun match with no BUIS whatsoever. This is not to say that BUIS don't have application on tactical carbines but even there I think their importance is overrated.

For a three gun rifle you really don't need a BUIS unless your optic goes down and you want to finish the match. For the real world however they are a must have. Everything fails even the best optics. Unlike in a match in real life targets shoot back and the only prize is not dying. A back up iron sight system is a must. That said I prefer front and rear folding sights.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

With the carbine, I'd go with a low profile gas block so you can use a rifle length handguard. After shooting a few rifles w/ the rifle HG, it's hard to go back to even a midlength handguard, and you can forget about me using carbine length handguards ever again- stretch that support arm on out there. If you use a standard front sight base, you're stuck w/ whatever length handguards your gas system is set up for.

+1 to all that. I just turned down the JP gas block on my carbine and replaced the carbine length float tube

with a rifle length. In addition to the above reasons, the darned gas block and barrel get HOT, and it's way

too easy with a carbine length tube to get your hand a little bit too far forward.