Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for 160g 9mm minor loads

Rick James

Interesting.

I cast a 160 tapered point, sized .356 I used to shoot them in a revolver with speed loaders,

I never have tried them in 9mm, I was thinking they would be too long.

I know people like the 147's,,,,

Hmmmmmm now I have 160's on my mind.

Jim M ammo

Thanks for the help guys. I was researching 135g bullets and the guy I am buying from said he had some 160g in .356 diameter as well he would let me try. I like the idea but I have no loading experience with a bullet that heavy. He recommended WSF powder but I have Solo 1000 as well.

3.8 grains WSF (winchester super field) with overall lenght of 1.85 gives me a power factor of 143 out of a 5 inch colt barrel. You could go lower but this charge has been accurate in my stock and nowlin barrels.

rabe

Edited by Rabe

• 2 weeks later...

Attended a Steel Match last month where a number of master shooters were using 9mm ,

3.6gr Solo 1250 with 160 gr RN Molly bullets, OAL 1.70(on Lands) and making

power factor with mild or no recoil.

I was impressed with knockdown preformace from these 9mm 160 gr molly bullets

on steel popers that had to be knocked down to trigger other targets to be presented.

I tried same and found that tight(shinny ring) crimps were important in order for consistant PF?

I tried same and found that tight(shinny ring) crimps were important in order for consistant PF?

Nope. In bottomfeeder loads, the crimp doesn't influence consistency, unless you over-crimp...then it goes out the window. ;) As long as you have adequate tension on the bullet from the resizing and expanding, you're good to go. If your loads are consistent with the standard weight bullets you're using now, there's no need to change the crimp. If the heavy bullet loads turn inconsistent, there's another problem involved.

Nope. In bottomfeeder loads, the crimp doesn't influence consistency, unless you over-crimp...then it goes out the window. ;) As long as you have adequate tension on the bullet from the resizing and expanding, you're good to go. If your loads are consistent with the standard weight bullets you're using now, there's no need to change the crimp. If the heavy bullet loads turn inconsistent, there's another problem involved.

Thanks Chuck for your input,and yes I found that the mixed brass needed to be trimmed,some much longer than others making the crimps to deep on some.

will report back later.

Gary

• 4 years later...

I mostly shoot lead bullets. On occasion I will shoot some old Bear Creek moly 160s. 2.8 gr of Solo 1000 goes 824 fps out of a G34 with a moly bullet. I load 9mm bullets long in my Range Officer - 1.200". 2.4 gr of Promo goes 805fps. 2.8 gr of Solo should go about the same fps. 2.6 grains of Solo only went 765 fps in the RO. 3.0 gr of Solo went 797fps out of a G17.

I just looked at the cost of Bayou Bullets 160 gr 9mm. Guess that's why I shoot lead. I pay less per 1,000 than what they charge for 500.

Edited by Joe D

Solo also has significant variation from lot to lot. One person's 2.8 could be another's 3.2. Not a big thing if you buy 8lb jugs. Or should I say used to buy?

I always buy 8 lb jugs. I bought two 8 lb jugs of Solo about a year ago. Guess I got lucky as they both shoot the same fps.

• 2 weeks later...

I mostly shoot lead bullets. On occasion I will shoot some old Bear Creek moly 160s. 2.8 gr of Solo 1000 goes 824 fps out of a G34 with a moly bullet. I load 9mm bullets long in my Range Officer - 1.200". 2.4 gr of Promo goes 805fps. 2.8 gr of Solo should go about the same fps. 2.6 grains of Solo only went 765 fps in the RO. 3.0 gr of Solo went 797fps out of a G17.

I just looked at the cost of Bayou Bullets 160 gr 9mm. Guess that's why I shoot lead. I pay less per 1,000 than what they charge for 500.

What's your OAL for the 160g moly with 2.8g of solo1000 out of your 34?