Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can you shoot lead bullets thru a M&P Pro?

Greg Thomas

Shoot 150 rounds through M&P Pro and had a ton of lead left in barrel, load was 115 grain lead rn, 3.6 grains of tite group. This produced 1085 fps

through my chrony. Gun also got very hot. Took almost 45 min to clean the barrel. Anyone know if it is not recommended to shoot lead through

factory barrel. Thanks for your help.

Shoot 150 rounds through M&P Pro and had a ton of lead left in barrel, load was 115 grain lead rn, 3.6 grains of tite group. This produced 1085 fps

through my chrony. Gun also got very hot. Took almost 45 min to clean the barrel. Anyone know if it is not recommended to shoot lead through

factory barrel. Thanks for your help.

Yes you can shoot lead through it.

Lead is ok in the M&P's. There are alot of factors that cause leading. Powder, lead composition, lube, and bullet diameter are the main ones.

I've had good luck with Solo 1000 for the powder, water dropped 92-6-2 lead, and lee tumble lube. This combination resulted in very minimal leading.

If you are buying your lead bullets, you might want to try 147 grain bullets. The 147's don't have to go as fast to meet power factor and can result in less leading. The other option is to try .357 sized bullets, but you will need to make sure they feed and chamber.

Lead works fine for me in a standard M&P. Plated or jacketed has a little better accuracy but, heavier lead is almost as good.

For 9x19 I use WSF behind all lead loads and Titegroup for plated or jacketed. Titegroup is smokey and messy with lead.

Agree with the 147 grain suggestion, soft shooting with very good accuracy and my favorite lead load in the M&P.

147 gr LFP

3.8 gr WSF

WSP

1.162 OAL

127PF

I actually prefer lead through my M&P, very accurate with very little leading. Like others mentioned, Titegroup is too fast and hot burning for lead. I run 4.7 gr. WSF, 125 gr. RN 9mm lead loaded to 1.130" and it functions perfectly in my Pro with a 13 lb. recoil spring and is very accurate. Using mixed brass from the range. I have thousands of this load through my M&P, very clean.

All I shoot through my M&P pro is lead. Load of choice is 3.7 gr of WSF under a 125 lead round nose. Haven't chrono'd it and pretty sure its not making minor but it reminds me of shooting my old Sig Saur Mosquito. (.22)

Have you chrono'd that load with 4.7 gr?

ganderman

thanks for the all the help guys,i tried some universal clays today 4gr with the same 115gr lrn bullets. They shot alot better gun didnt get hot and the leading was not as bad, my chrony had them at 1060 average not enough to make minor but close,

On a side not i talked to the guy who made the bullets beacuse there supposed to be 125gr he said he used more antimony this was to make the bullets harder i think he said it was 22 on the briliance scale or something like that. does this matter? all of the bullets weigh between 115 and 118, he using an lee mould and he tumble lube the bullets

Again thanks for the reply with help!Greg

All I shoot through my M&P pro is lead. Load of choice is 3.7 gr of WSF under a 125 lead round nose. Haven't chrono'd it and pretty sure its not making minor but it reminds me of shooting my old Sig Saur Mosquito. (.22)

Have you chrono'd that load with 4.7 gr?

ganderman

Yes, I've chrono'ed it a few times, always ran 130 to 131 power factor. I've shot several thousands of them through my 9 Pro.

As a general rule hard leads worse than softer bullets. As do bullets that are undesize. Ideal is the bullet expanding slightly to fill the groves. Too hard or too small they can let gas escape past the base causing cutting and leading.

Try some store bought cast from a name supplier, No coatings just lubed lead bullets, use powder proven to work OK in 9's with cast bullets. I use W 231 hold over from 45 Acp experence but may switch to Clays for the 9mm. Target loads at modest velocity Lead is the way to go.

Boats

• 2 months later...
Agree with the 147 grain suggestion, soft shooting with very good accuracy and my favorite lead load in the M&P.

147 gr LFP

3.8 gr WSF

WSP

1.162 OAL

127PF

I'm shooting pretty much the exact same load out of my 9L and I really like it. It almost has a ".45" feel to it.

• 2 weeks later...