Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Sig 1911...

SiG Lady

Features and Specs from SigARMS:

Here are the published features and specs for the Granite Series Rail (GSR)... As for price, we are going into NASGW with our distributor price 99.9% set but before I give you an MSRP number I want to make sure I get it right. We should have that by the end of the week, Monday at the latest.

Feature & Benefits:

• Machined and hand-fitted for maximum precision and tightest possible tolerances.

• Hand-lapped for outstanding frame-to-slide fit.

• Stainless steel construction and components ensure durability and flawless function.

• Crisp single-action trigger with firing pin safety.

• Picatinny rail accommodates a wide variety of accessories.

• 20-line per inch grooves on front strap and mainspring housing maximize control.

• Match-grade barrel.

• Uniquely designed recessed plunger tube provides rigidity and stability.

• External extractor provides greater longevity and consistency than standard GI extractors.

• Novak® sights.

GSR Specifications:

Operation: Mechanically locked, recoil-operated, semi-automatic pistol

Trigger: Single-Action

Safety Features:

• Extended thumb safety

• Beavertail grip safety w/ speed bump

• Firing pin safety

• Hammer intercept notch

Caliber 45 AUTO

Length, overall 8.65”

Height, overall 5.50”

Width, overall 1.37”

Barrel length 5.00”

Rifling twist 1 in 15.75

Rifling grooves 6

Sight radius 6.50”

Weight, w/o magazine 39.2 oz.

Weight, empty magazine 2.4 oz.

Magazine capacity 8 rounds

All weights and dimensions are approximate. Specifications are subject to change without notice.

--------------------------

The type of firing pin block isn't spelled out, but the gun isn't a Series 70 style. Interesting to note that they addressed the three most commonly perceived problems with the 1911:

- Traditional internal 1911 extractors require skilled installation and very good materials to function properly. Replaced with proprietary external design.

- Standard 1911 plunger tubes known to come loose from the factory and need to be re-staked. New plunger tube design incorporated.

- Factory 1911 magazines on production guns often crummy. Delivered with premium Novak magazines.

SiG1911.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whatever it is, it's a pretty damning indictment of what the majority of the market desires - and it's NOT a DA/SA autopistol.

I'm happy that at least two manufacturers have seen fit to go with external extractors. Who's going to have the cajones to ditch the barrel link?

Now, about the absence of the Dawson .090 FO front and the Wilson adjustables and the Ed Brown grip safety....and where the hell are the SA magwell and the Swenson paddle safeties? :P

Titghloop, probably not. I'm sure it would be either "that's the only way it should be, everything else is sacrilege" or and agonizing rambling about the superiority of the 45ACP, blah, blah....

When are they going to import the Tanfoglio 1911?? Its been around for a while. And how about re-introducing the Norinco - that stupid Clinton-regulatory ban could go away w/o congressional approval if Bush wanted it to. I hear CZ is also working on a 1911. W/ the Sig's 6 grove barrel, the thing should be a tack driver & they finally got the extractor right. We need more 1911 designs - esp. in .45.

sorry but i read in the tangfoglio brochure that their 1911 is for the Italian market only, i think its something to do with design rights/patents but i'm probably wrong.

as for the Sig mmm have to shoot it before commenting but it looks well different.

I may be obliged to join the Sigforum and start bribing people for that information..... :ph34r: 

Doubt if it'll be cheap. :huh:

I'm a member there...ask away, and I believe it's a series 80.

Hmm, ramped barrel, rails are there because the Special Forces folks are considering a move to something different and maybe they've been discussing things with otehrs, who knows! :)

MSRP...have heard 800-1200 range, and likely to come in other flavors. SIGLady posted the shiny one, also comes in black.

The SIG-ish cut on the slide is very cool, and definitely gives it a SIG identity.

However...... I've very disappointed. If what I read is true and it's put up from Caspian frame and slide and standard aftermarket parts, it's not a SIG. Same with the new Unertl-- and this is no slam on Caspian or the makers of the components-- but dang, if they're going to make a 1911, let it be something besides parts that anybody can get outta Brownells. That they put it together well is not in question, hopefully, but then the only dif between the SIG, the Unertl, and the gun by your pal who puts together a decent 1911 is the engraving on the outside. If I were to buy a SIG 1911 I'd want to know it was made from SIG parts in a SIG factory, otherwise the draw for me would not be there. Yes, I know there's a lot of this going around in the industry-- everybody uses some of everybody else's parts. I would not expect them to completely re-invent the wheel I guess (although I would hope for it), but there's just too much me-too-ism in the last couple years. Am I way out of line here?

Know who really ought to making a 1911? How about..... Browning? A 1911 actually made by Browning in a Browning (or subsidiary, OK) factory with Browning tooling with Browning on the side..... yeah, that'd get my interest.

Well living in MA we can only buy two 1911's. One is the Smith and Wesson SW1911 and the other is the SVI Infinity. I have the S&W and Infinity is building an SVI for me now. The good thing is Sigs are one of the brands we can buy here so that will be available for our limited market. Only problem I see with it is the Novac sights. I have them on my SW1911 and I don't like them at all. I want to change them to BoMars but the slide need a lot of work to have it fitted. I have a few Sigs now and they are great pistols. I can only assume this will be just as great.

Looks like my safe mind find yet another new gun. :D