Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why Can't People Make Tough Decisions?

uscbigdawg

So I've informed my employer that I am going to be going to school full time and that if they would like, I will go to a part time schedule w/ no benefits. That was 3 weeks ago and I start in 2. My supervisor as well as our HR director, has asked the 2 prinicipals in my studio what's up and nothing definative. My supervisor's pretty passive, and maybe I'm too aggressive, but this crap is old.

When you're someone that signs a paycheck, your job is to make the tough and sometimes unpopular decision. I should preface that I do not need this job. The GI Bill is paying most every expense and at the end of the month, I have to "find" about $600. Pretty easy all things considered.

Stefanie is more pissed than I am. We've agreed though to give the firm 'til the end of this week, before resigning. I understand that I am one of their best employees and it's why I've "survived" the house cleaning and 2 layoffs (their words) and don't want to lose me...but dang it...not making a decision (in my eyes) is worse than making a 'tough' decision.

Rich

Tell me about it. I got a 'talking to' once for questioning why we have so many meetings. When asked what I think would be a better use of our time (attorneys and anyone that understands billable hours will get this), my response was, "I don't know...doing billable work that allows to keep the lights on, computers running and our co-workers paid would be a good start!".

Yes I sometimes lack the 'tact' button, but let's be honest that if you're going to layoff a butt load of people and then a week later burn up every manager's Monday morning with back to back to back meetings, what's the real problem?

When I had to sit in front of the man, I reminded him that I'm one of the few managers that actually made money during 2008 for the firm. That seemed to make the pill go down easier, but I was still told to tone it down. Again...got it. I'm aggressive.

Anywho...just frustrating. I really should go back to owning my own place. ;)

Rich

I could go on for days on this one... :lol:

Just keep in mind that there may be stuff going on behind the scenes that they can't disclose to you at the moment - possibly some way to make sure they keep you and have the option to somehow get you back full time later. Its not likely, based on my experience, but if you tell them to take a hike without probing them to see if a decision is forthcoming again, there's a small but potential chance you could lose out on something good.

Just sayin'... :lol:

But... getting "talked to" for "speaking plainly"? Yeah... BTDT... Told to "tone it down"? Yep... :lol: Told I'm "calling people out" when I'm asking simple, honest, but pointed questions? Oh yeah.... ;) I know what you're being told... :lol: Usually it means "shut up, cause we're not interested in changing anything, for better or for worse"... ;)

Told I'm "calling people out" when I'm asking simple, honest, but pointed questions? Oh yeah.... ;) I know what you're being told... :lol: Usually it means "shut up, cause we're not interested in changing anything, for better or for worse"... ;)

Hey, I am getting ready to have one of those discussions next month!!!!!

I would just ride it out then a day or two ahead of time you give them your schedule that you are available to work. I am so close to right behind you with the new GI bill, thinking of becoming a professional student. I currently have no debt and an Army retirement, so am only shooting expenses away from even needing a job.

Several years ago when I was a teenager I worked at a sub shop owned by a guy who used to work for a company that bought failing businesses. He and his partner would go in and clean house to turn the business around. They had a simple strategy for turning around a failing business:

Step 1: Shit-can half the upper management. Doesn't usually matter which half.

Step 2: See step 1.

addendum: If any of them have Harvard MBAs, audit their personal files, then shit-can them, and kick 'em in the ass on the way out.

Almost ten years later, I use lessons learned from him in my current management position almost every day.

Yes I sometimes lack the 'tact' button

When I had to sit in front of the man, I reminded him that I'm one of the few managers that actually made money during 2008 for the firm. That seemed to make the pill go down easier, but I was still told to tone it down. Again...got it. I'm aggressive.

Anywho...just frustrating. I really should go back to owning my own place. ;)

Rich

Nothing better than getting to the "nuts-and-bolts" any way you see fit....................To dam many layers in every aspect of what we do today. As far as toning it down, if your on track with something, o'l Front man needs to sit down and listen.....Tone or no tone. Thats a personality thing. Aggressive behavior can be a good thing when handled right. Thats a money make'n set-up..............Anyone should see that...!!!! Being passive at the top (on the job anyway) aint good....

I've worked for alot of Builders and Owner-builders that couldn't make decissions. Critical and non-critical. Frustrating either way.

Time......Is........Money...........!!!

BTW, Rich...........I have some entry level work/tools you can use as a part time'r if needed.....LOL...!!!!

Don't ask a "question". Lay out the situation with the time sensitive nature of the issue stated at the front and conclusion of the conversation - Explain the pluses and possible downsides if any. Make your proposals with the verbiage leading/directing the person you are speaking to in the direction you need/want. Perhaps something in the conversation with "Unless directed otherwise I am proceeding with this per this discussion..."

IMO...Aggression is good if your verbiage leaves room for the "boss" to wiggle and feel/show he has made the decision...

Just my .02... :)

In general people don't make tough decisions... because they are... well tough decisions. Some managers are better than others... and some are just horrible without getting a concensus! Good managers need to make most decisions decisively and/or do a better job communicating.

Merlin - I agree 1000%. Turned that letter in on Monday with a very clear understanding that if a decision is not clearly defined by Friday, that I will forced to pursue opportunities elsewhere.

Thanks everyone for putting up with my minny rant.

Rich