Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dawson Ice Magwell for 1911

BN91205

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went too Dawson Precision and purchased 1911 Ice Magwell yesterday and it is absolutely perfect! I easily installed and looks great! I use Tripp Cobra mags and it looks like they were made for the magwell. I feel like this is one of the best ideas Mr. Dawson has had so far and is a "must have" for any 1911 single stack shooter. They fit in IDPA box and weigh hardly anything, this magwell will improve your ability to speed reload!

ShootemGood

I went too Dawson Precision and purchased 1911 Ice Magwell yesterday and it is absolutely perfect! I easily installed and looks great! I use Tripp Cobra mags and it looks like they were made for the magwell. I feel like this is one of the best ideas Mr. Dawson has had so far and is a "must have" for any 1911 single stack shooter. They fit in IDPA box and weigh hardly anything, this magwell will improve your ability to speed reload!

ShootemGood

How does it install? attach?

I saw one in person today. Not a fan. Apart from simply not liking the way oversized magwells look, magwells with closed fronts are a problem looking for a place to happen. Plus, despite their exterior dimensions you don't gain anything in the actual interior opening, especially if it cannot be blended to the frame, and I don't believe this one can be.

Edited by Steve J

I saw one in person today. Not a fan. Apart from simply not liking the way oversized magwells look, magwells with closed fronts are a problem looking for a place to happen. Plus, despite their exterior dimensions you don't gain anything in the actual interior opening, especially if it cannot be blended to the frame, and I don't believe this one can be.

This is one issue where me and Steve will have to agree to disagree on one part. I do like the way a blended SA magwell looks better than a SVI or Techwell magwell. As for as a magwell needing a front opening, I think if your equipment is running correctly you don't need a front gap. When I've had a mag get stuck, and its been VERY few, I can just pull it out the bottom. My gun fits the box with my mags and I still have enough mag at the bottom to remove them. If something worse happens I just don't see how a open front is going to be any better than a closed front.

As far as the hole getting bigger part, magwells are for missed reloads not to help you reload faster. If your hitting the magwell while reloading your slowing the reload down. To reload faster you need to practice that action. The bigger ones also help you, or at least me, get a better grip. Sure the top GMs don't need one but I know TGO uses a Techwell trimmed down so there has to be something to it.

With that being said I should have mine the first of the week and I'll see if I like it then.

I have a LONG thread on 1911 magwells, so my thoughts are well documented, but here is a synopsis.

A 1911 reload is not to be slopped, as Steel1212 said, practice. In my opinion the oversized 1911 magwells are not going to help you reload better or faster, as the non-tapered magazines are not well suited to slopping them as you can with the wide-body magazines.

Large 1911 magwells DO help for a consistent grip index, both on the draw and the reloads. S&A is not going to help with grip index's, NUF SAID on that issue.

Do the S&A's look better, they do to me, but I am not out there to be looking good, and neither is anyone else for that matter, otherwise no one would be shooting open guns with optics attached to the top like an after thought.

IF we were in it for looks, everyone would be shooting iron sights out of a leather holster, much cooler look. (my opinion of course)

Yeah, I bought one of the new Dawson 1911 magwells, I am not a big fan of the gap in the front, but when I get it on Tuesday, I will give an honest review.

From what Steel1212 has told me, it is a really nice magwell.

just got my Dawson Ice today..easy install..switch over the internals..and installed..

my tripp mags are flush with the bottom of the magwell..but still seem to seat fully in the 15 minutes of dryfire I did with them.

MSH installs..then magwell fit on and held in place with a screw. then insert covers all.

IMG_1050.jpg

IMG_1051.jpg

IMG_1054.jpg

IMG_1055.jpg

I don't like the looks of the gap..but it seems to work well. looking forward to giving it a try.

Edited by eerw

You must have ordered while I was still trying to decide. I'm still waiting, maybe I'll see it today.

I'm thinking the McCormick base pads are a little longer, I know they are longer than Wilson so maybe they'll stick below the magwell.

Guys if you want a base pad that sticks below the magwell use the wilson extended ones and take them down a bit and round the front pretty good. See the link I added above and it will show you what I mean. Plus as long as you seat you mag well a flush mag will seat fine. I played with this magwell and ETM mags for quite a while and didn't have any issues with them not seating.

Also if you like Tripp mags, call him up and tell him you want System length mags. he will take a 10 round mag, cut it down and grind a little off the front of the base pad and it will fit the box and still be extended.

Also if you like Tripp mags, call him up and tell him you want System length mags. he will take a 10 round mag, cut it down and grind a little off the front of the base pad and it will fit the box and still be extended.

Thanks...how much more do these cost?? do you have any ( photo ) ?

Thanks...how much more do these cost?? do you have any ( photo ) ?

Just what does the System include or refer to ?

Got mine in today. Threw it on the gun and snapped some pictures as promised. Installed in minutes and feels great on the gun. Will shoot my next match with it and see how it runs.

Notes:

- Wilson 47D mags fit flush with the bottom of the magwell. I think they will work fine enough and seat properly, but there is no argument that longer base pads, say 47DE's, would make it easier.

- My Alumagrip flat bottoms fit perfectly with this magwell (see bottom picture.

Enjoy...

ICE2.jpg

ICE4.jpg

ICE3.jpg

ICE5.jpg

ICE6.jpg

Got mine, put it on yesterday and just like the Tripp mags, the Wilson's are flush but the hole is big enough that seating the mag is not a problem.

The longer CMC base pads stick out about 1/4 inch. I prefer them over Wilsons anyway. (sorry no pics)

I can't say I like the looks of it over the S &A it replaced but it might prove to be easier to hit.