Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rohrbaugh 9mm

-JQ-

I did a quick search on here and only found a couple of comments re: the rohrbaugh. The only negatives found were price and no +p...

Does anyone have any experience with these? They are very pricey but I handled one last night at a local fun store and found the little bugger to have a really nice trigger and over all looked superb. The clerk didn't know anything except to say "they sure are expensive for a little gun" - OK - thanks for the insight Mr. Salesman. Oh - the other clerk came up and mentioned that the recoil spring has to be changed every 400 rounds...actually kept repeating it... <_< OK <_<

Thanks for any insight!

I did a quick search on here and only found a couple of comments re: the rohrbaugh. The only negatives found were price and no +p...

Does anyone have any experience with these? They are very pricey but I handled one last night at a local fun store and found the little bugger to have a really nice trigger and over all looked superb. The clerk didn't know anything except to say "they sure are expensive for a little gun" - OK - thanks for the insight Mr. Salesman. Oh - the other clerk came up and mentioned that the recoil spring has to be changed every 400 rounds...actually kept repeating it... <_< OK <_<

Thanks for any insight!

I looked into them when we were looking for a very compact 9 for my wife. It was hard to actually find one and the price is a bit on the high side. I thought the sights left a little to be desired so we went with a Kahr PM9. Very close in size, has nice night sights and a really nice trigger. It totally disappears in my pocket and is so accurate people don't believe the group sizes I've gotten. It also has a pretty frequent recoil spring change schedule...think it's every 1K. It's still pricey, but not quite as bad as the Rohrbaugh...but it does lack some of the cool factor. R,

Joel, I have fired them. I like the size, and the way they shoot. I think it is horribly expensive and has very little track record for my taste. It really doesn't seem to make a difference sights vs. no sights either. I second the PM9 recommendation, but prefer a J-frame or G26. Quit going out on the town in your short-shorts and conceal a bigger gun :lol:

Edited by fomeister

Another vote for the Kahr Pm9. I have one, and so does BSeevers.

Anytime you want to shoot mine Joel, just say the word and I'll bring it to the next club match for you to borrow. You can bring it back next week or when ever I see you again. You supply the ammo, of course! ;)

Joel you need to stay outta TW. They scare me there. :)

True that! They had VV320 back in stock for $39/lb - talk about scary!

They had two. One around $1100 the other was $1800 :surprise: The cheaper actually felt better to me, and wasn't NP3 coated which made it too slick IMHO.

I don't have a Rohrbaugh or anything, but I will say that the way we attach value to size is kind of odd.

I can see not wanting to spend 1K on a pocket gun because you won't use it for much vs. the USPSA gun you will shoot 5-30K a year through.

But why should a small gun cost less? It isn't really the cost of materials that we pay for when we buy a gun. To me this is the same argument as "why pay 2K for brazos when you can get a G35 for 500 bucks".

I can never seem to be able to shoot the half grip guns worth a damn so I've given up on the mouse guns.

If I used/liked one though, I'd buy it. That forum had one for sale for $850, I've seen Kahr's go for $650.

Thanks for the offers Chris and Micah!

The "need" for pocket size has been driven from my crazy back recently. For the past two weeks my back has gone haywire and thus I can't even consider carrying my usual piece - HK P7. Just getting in and out of the car right now is tricky and the thought of sitting on it (~4:00 position) doesn't compute with my brain...

As for the price - I guess my justification is that, while my gamer gun should go bang everytime - my carry piece MUST go bang everytime...so there is a perceived value in that. I don't want to turn this into a price/value thread - too many arguments either way. So the cost becomes a wash to some extent.

I have one, the trigger pull is superb, the materials and craftmanship are second to none. The price is a little steep, but for me it was excatly what I wanted in a pocket gun. Recoil is a little brisk but manageable. Sights are okay they are for reference only this is a down and dirty last chance gun. It is not a 25 yard shooter. Weight is about 15 ounces loaded so you can carry all day. Believe me this is a big deal. I have tried to carry just about everything glocks, revolvers, 3inch 1911"s, they are all boat anchors compared to the R9. After only a few hours I couldn"t wait to get them off. The Kahr is fine but to me it has a blocky feel like the glock, and when you compare to the R9 it is a little larger, but it will take +p ammo. I do not thik this is a deal breaker as there is really good standard 9mm ammo out there. I carry 124 gr. gold dots and do not feel undergunned. You will likely use this at 7yds or less and getting shot hurts whether by +p or other. Go to the Rohrbaugh forums they have a ton of info there. One other thing there customer service is fantastic. I had a holster on order that got messed up because they were moving into another factory and Carl called me at home on Chritmas eve to tell me it was shipped. I spoke with him for about 30 minutes or so about his new ventue into the firearms business. I have called the factory several times and he has answered the phone. When was the last time you called a company and the president answered the phone.

Joel,

I have a Glock G27 (.40 cal) you can try same weight as the 26, but more bang! It's a Glock and it always goes bang and it's very controllable. You can get the Airweight S&W +P's for a reasonable price and they are really light weight.

Your back must be really hurting if you're not packing that sweet Les Baer commander with the nice grips.

Get well soon!

Edited by Pezco

Was able to put a few rounds through one a friend had a while back. The trigger, fit, and finish were great, and it shot well. I didn't like the fact that it is basically a pocket gun that's too heavy to drop in your pocket. Just not a good compromise between footprint of the gun and weight compared to some of the other options out there.

Thanks for the offers Chris and Micah!

The "need" for pocket size has been driven from my crazy back recently. For the past two weeks my back has gone haywire and thus I can't even consider carrying my usual piece - HK P7. Just getting in and out of the car right now is tricky and the thought of sitting on it (~4:00 position) doesn't compute with my brain...

As for the price - I guess my justification is that, while my gamer gun should go bang everytime - my carry piece MUST go bang everytime...so there is a perceived value in that. I don't want to turn this into a price/value thread - too many arguments either way. So the cost becomes a wash to some extent.

Yikes, with the back issue that makes total sense. Since we've been on the road I've been carrying the PM9 in my font pocket (in a pocket holster) and my G23 on my hip. I often forget the Kahr is there and it stays in my pocket until I go to bed. I wish my scales and stuff were here so I could weigh it loaded...I have in the past, but can't remember. I want to say it was similar to the Rohrbaugh at about 15oz.

Since several folks have mentioned the PM9 I'll add that mine had one failure to feed on the first or second magazine...tapped the back of the slide was all it took to remedy. In something between 600 and 800 rounds since then it's been 100% with everything I've put through it. It will keep every shot inside the upper A-box at 25yds if you do your part. I wouldn't say they're particularly Glock/blocky feeling, but there isn't all that much to hang on to so I don't expect it to be too comfortable. I actually think it's pretty fun to shoot...I've let guys from the office shoot it and they all seem to get a kick out of it as well. If I get down that way or you get up to MI you can give mine a try as well. R,

Initial range report:

The factory line is "carried a lot - shot a little" - I would agree. It isn't anything you'll want to spend much time shooting. It does have a good deal of snap and sweaty hands don't help. I can pretty much get two fingers on the grip, and with two fingers you'd best hold on tight.

For those who are recoil sensitive this may not be your choice of guns...I'd try before I buy if that is your situation. Today I was using a two hand thumbs forward grip...as much as could be gripped. I will try single handed and point shooting another day.

4q2986.jpg

I shot it at 7 yds and could easily keep all shots within the A/B although it shot high. It actually would group well with a better shooter <_< and if I took my time.

I also ran it out to 25 yrds just for kicks. It will keep them all in the points, but spread like a D-class shooter cranked up on Red Bull. And of course this isn't the intent of the little bugger.

The next time I'll try to get some better groups but I was in a hurry. Maybe Pharaoh Bender will be able to punch one hole when he takes it for a spin.

I ran 30 rounds through it and had zero failures of any kind. Rack the slide and bang away. Speer 115 golds dots are suggested and that is what I used and use for carry.

Overall, I am still quite pleased. The downside...It was expensive and isn't an all day range gun. But, for a tiny full powered pistol I can shove in a pocket, I give it two thumbs up. For what its worth, I spent all day today with it in the front pocket of my jeans (using a nemesis holster) and was perfectly content even while driving.

One more follow-up on the Rohrbaugh R9s.

I know a week isn't a long term test but...over the last week I've carried the R9s in pretty much any type of pants (dress slacks/jeans/shorts)...gym shorts is the one exception I guess - no trip to the gym this week...but this is proving to be a great carry option. Maybe a bit too personal here - but if I had pants on, I had it on my person, with only one exception and that was at a "posted" client facility... <_< In my past carry experience, my daily carry was more sporadic depending on attire.

I hear what you're saying Chris, as it isn't THE lightest option but close enough for me. And I hate having things in my pockets (change, keys etc) so it is taking a little time, but I frequently forget it is there even with jeans.

It is very easy to keep with you - and I like that.

Just my $0.02 - ymmv.

Edited by hk_mtbr

Initial range report:

The factory line is "carried a lot - shot a little" - I would agree. It isn't anything you'll want to spend much time shooting. It does have a good deal of snap and sweaty hands don't help. I can pretty much get two fingers on the grip, and with two fingers you'd best hold on tight.

For those who are recoil sensitive this may not be your choice of guns...I'd try before I buy if that is your situation. Today I was using a two hand thumbs forward grip...as much as could be gripped. I will try single handed and point shooting another day.

I shot it at 7 yds and could easily keep all shots within the A/B although it shot high. It actually would group well with a better shooter <_< and if I took my time.

I also ran it out to 25 yrds just for kicks. It will keep them all in the points, but spread like a D-class shooter cranked up on Red Bull. And of course this isn't the intent of the little bugger.

I was wondering about the slick grips and how they would work. The PM9 definitely has a fair amount of flip/snap to it, but I never felt it was squirming in my hands...maybe the texture and checkering at work there. The upside to the smooth grips on the Rohrbaugh is they won't drag on cloth when you draw it from a pocket. I haven't had that issue with the PM9, but it's always in a Nemesis in my pocket. I do wish the Nemesis was closed at the front as I find plenty of dusty bunnies forming around the muzzle...lol

If anything the sights are probably the difference in 25yd accuracy results as the ones on the Rohrbaugh are a tad on the small side for accuracy work, but like you said, that's not it's mission.

I think any of the ultra compact guns are the kind of things you should put 50 rounds or so through once a month, or something similar....just stay familiar with it and work on real skills with your normal guns. Honestly, I can't imagine going back to not having something this size to keep in my pocket while I'm around the house and it was a handy backup as we travelled. That is actually a great example....think about walking to the vending area in a hotel. Most people aren't going to strap on their big gun to walk down the hall, but if you've got a baby 9 in your pocket you're still able to defend yourself if need be. R,

• 3 months later...

Another person w. a bad back and a Rohrbaugh -- I'm very fond of mine, as my father is of his. Skateboard tape on the front and rear strap helps w. keeping a grip on it. The gun itself is fairly accurate, IMO, but it's just difficult to control that well -- still accurate enough for "social" purposes.

It's noticeably smaller than a PF9, and thinner than a J Frame -- quite a bit smaller than a Kahr as well.

Always cool to hear other cool-aid drinkers. :cheers: Welcome to the board, too.

I just got a set of carbon fiber grips for mine...I need to get them on and pics taken. I've read the warnings about removing grips - but haven't had time to mess with them yet.