Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Front Sight Height

Chuck Anderson

So I thought switching to a .300 front sight would get me sighted in with my LPA rear. Unfortunately I'm bottomed out and still about 2 inched high at 25. Does anyone make front sight for a 625 (pinned) taller than .300? Also when the new sight was drilled it the bit got a bit off centerd and drilled part of the base away. Anyone good to fix that particular oops?

Chuck, I can't think of anybody who makes a front revo sight taller than . 300", maybe it would be easier to go with a shorter rear blade?

Also, as an FYI to others who may be tuned in here, the damage sustained to Chuck's sight base was caused by attempting to drill the sight through the holes in the sight base with the sight installed in the gun. This should never be attempted, as it will nearly always cause damage to the gun--at the very least, the holes in the base will be enlarged, causing the pin to fit sloppily. After fitting the sight to the notch, the hole location should be marked and the sight removed before drilling the hole. It's much more difficult and time-consuming, but it's the right way to do it.

Also, as an FYI to others who may be tuned in here, the damage sustained to Chuck's sight base was caused by attempting to drill the sight through the holes in the sight base with the sight installed in the gun. This should never be attempted, as it will nearly always cause damage to the gun--at the very least, the holes in the base will be enlarged, causing the pin to fit sloppily. After fitting the sight to the notch, the hole location should be marked and the sight removed before drilling the hole. It's much more difficult and time-consuming, but it's the right way to do it.

If you have, and have the skills to use, a drill press, drilling them in the sight base works just fine. If you're using a hand drill, marking the blade then taking it out and drilling it is much safer.

With the sight blade installed, I just drill halfway through from both sides and have the hole meet in the middle. You can do that with a hand drill or drill press.

The original hole takes a #54 drill which is .055 diam. If the hole has been wobbled out, you can use a 1/16, .062 diam. drill and a 1/16 x 1/4 roll pin.

I just bought a LPA matched set and can't get the rear low enough. I shoot 6" high at 30'. :angry2:

Something about that doesn't sound right. What is the distance in inches between your front and rear sight?

I talked to a Tech at S&W as I had the same concern with my 617 and he recommended I increase the rear blade height. They list the parts to make it happen on their website, but I'm sure others sell the rears too.

I just bought a LPA matched set and can't get the rear low enough. I shoot 6" high at 30'. :angry2:

The LPA sight set works on some revolvers. My 2 PC's were fine. The regular 625's were the same as yours. The front sight with LPA is .280.

I used a .300 front and also filed some of the bottom of the rear sight to make it sit lower and it is good now.

So I thought switching to a .300 front sight would get me sighted in with my LPA rear. Unfortunately I'm bottomed out and still about 2 inched high at 25. Does anyone make front sight for a 625 (pinned) taller than .300? Also when the new sight was drilled it the bit got a bit off centerd and drilled part of the base away. Anyone good to fix that particular oops?

A few years ago I purchase a dozen S&W pinned partridge sights from Numerich Gun parts, they were .335 high and blued. they worked great on my 4" and 6" guns, unfortunately I do not have any left. You might want to give them a call, although they are not in their catalog they may still have some in stock.

226 Williams Lane, W. Hurley, NY 12491

Orders: (845) 679-2417 or (866)Numrich

Customer Service: (845) 679-4867

Edited by 357454

Any ideas on where to pick up a taller LPA rear blade? Or someone that can fix the wallowed out hole in the front sight base? I figured out the marking it, removing it, then drilling it after it was screwed up. (BTW, I didn't do it, I didn't have the right size bit)

You would need a lower rear blade, not taller. For the front, you can go to a 1/16 hole and pin if it's not already bigger than that. If the whole thing is messed up,

you could have a Weigand base put on and use clip on sights.

• 2 weeks later...

The front sight roll pin... What do you use to drive it out? A buddy came to borrow some tools for the job. I don't know that I have anything that small.

I do have...somewhere...a punch that drives out the pin that holds the forward post of a 1911 ejector in place. Will that work? Small enough? (If so, I'll start digging around to see if I can find it.)

The front sight roll pin... What do you use to drive it out? A buddy came to borrow some tools for the job. I don't know that I have anything that small.

I do have...somewhere...a punch that drives out the pin that holds the forward post of a 1911 ejector in place. Will that work? Small enough? (If so, I'll start digging around to see if I can find it.)

Kyle, it's hard to find a punch small enough to knock out the front sight pin (some are roll pins, some are solid) off the rack. The punch you were using on the 1911 ejector pin is probably a 1/16" punch, that's usually the smallest one in most of the gunsmithing pin punch sets that are sold.

Because I mess with revolver sights every week, I took a 1/16" punch and thinned it down by chucking it in a drill and working it with sandpaper. An easier option is to buy a cheapie Chinese set of those little eyeglass screwdrivers and grind the tip off one of the smaller ones, and make yourself a little punch that way.

Edited by Carmoney