Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I want a new carry gun. I currently have a Baretta 9000S which is too big and too heavy to carry year round. I would like to get a small 1911 but living in MA we can only buy the SW1911's so that is out of the question. I was thinking of a Glock 26 but again we can only buy these used and can't touch them for less than $700. Plus, I'm not a big fan of a Glock and that is just too much money for a used one. I can buy a Seacamp .32 but I think that is too small and would be nervous about the tini caliber esp. in winter months.

I'm heavily thinking of buying a Smith and Wesson 638 or something similiar. These tini revolvers seem perfect for carry. I'm a semi-auto guy but would give that up for something that is lightweight and easily concealable and that I know will function 100% of the time. Plus I can get a new one for less than $400.

Got a North American Arms Guardian in my pocket. I know its small but my working attire is Dockers and a knit golf shirt. Sure gives me a feeling of security. I don't think its misplaced either.... When I took my CHL update I used it to requalify and it worked just fine. B)

The best carry gun is one that you will carry. It is better to have a .22 Beretta in your pocket than just pocket lint. The .50 AE sitting at home in the safe will just be something to fight over in probate if you have a problem and come out on the losing end.

My personal main carry gun is a Kimber Compact CDP II in a Milt Sparks Versa Max. I can't carry at work but it goes with me just about everywhere else. Most comfortable carry rig I have ever owned. An if 8 rounds of .45 Hydrashoks aren't enough then I was probably in the wrong dang place at the wrong dang time. I got the idea for the pairing from a fellow club member and it has turned out to be a good one.

I am however pondering something in the small .380 or .32 category for pants pocket carry during the warm months when I am in shorts and a t-shirt most of the time. Gun show tomorrow so who know what will happen in that arena. :)

This is one of those that everyone will have a different opinion, so I will toss in my $0.02 worth. I carry a Glock 36. Small enough to carry easily, big enough to fit my hand pretty well. Also, I wanted something in a MAJOR caliber, and I already had several .45acp guns.

I agree with the previous posts. If you aren't comfortable, and confident enough to carry it all of the time it is a waste of money.

I have been seriously considering a Kel-Tec in .380 the new one that is .32 sized they just came out with. Couldn't bring myselfto buy a .32, but maybe .380 in a decent load..... <_<

I normally carry a LW Commander (my favorite) or a Glock 19 (probably best all around size/weight/rounds concealed combo out there IMHO), but as the above posts suggest don't ALWAYS carry one in fact probably 50 % time don't.

Something like the new .380 Kel-Tec intrigues me, any one have good/bad experiences with the .32 versions?

I've talked with a few guys I shoot with and they all carry the S&W AirLite revolvers. I looked at one today. What a great carry gun. it only weighs 12 oz. and has a 5 shot capacity. It is small enough to fit in your pants pocket and light enough that you won't mind taking it with you. I somewhat like the idea of the internal hammer because it won't snag on anything but wish you could still shoot it single action. Not that big a deal though. So I went to my gunshop today to look at it but the place was way too busy. I'll go back during the week and prob. pick one up. I can get the model 342 for only $349 brand new. Can't beat that price.

Pete

PPete

The only downside to those revo's is that with full power stuff in them, they are fierce to shoot. If I was carrying a pistol that I may have to bet my life on, you can darn well bet I am going to practice LOTS with it. Lots with a 12 oz gun with full power stuff = PAIN.

I looked at a 4" 44Mag that weighed 27 oz. Bet that was a handful...

Just a thought.

I've talked with a few guys I shoot with and they all carry the S&W AirLite revolvers. I looked at one today. What a great carry gun. it only weighs 12 oz. and has a 5 shot capacity. It is small enough to fit in your pants pocket and light enough that you won't mind taking it with you. I somewhat like the idea of the internal hammer because it won't snag on anything but wish you could still shoot it single action. Not that big a deal though. So I went to my gunshop today to look at it but the place was way too busy. I'll go back during the week and prob. pick one up. I can get the model 342 for only $349 brand new. Can't beat that price.

Pete

TL's right on this one. Airlight is cool, but consider stoking it with 38 specials instead of Corbon super-blammo .357's. Unfortunately, Federal doesn't make their Nyclads anymore. It was a bitchin' load. 38 cal soft lead hollowpoint encapsulated with nylon so it doesn't lead up your gun (and your pockets). I think you can buy some surplus stock, but it now costs 3-4X of what it used to retail for.

Avoid the temptation to be a magnum head and you'll have a much better time.

Forget about single action revo's for defense. Get a good trigger job and double action will do you just fine.

I've drifted through a lot of carry guns over the years...1911, P14, Colt Magnum Carry (their Detective Special as a stainless .357), back to a 1911, Glock 22, Glock 27, back to a 1911...you get the idea.

My current carry gun...and I can't imagine changing since this one has it all...reasonably compact, 18 shot, decent factory loads available...is my STI Commander in 9 by 23. Milt Sparks SSII IWB, Bladetech belt holster, or a Bagmaster vertical carry case...except for the trimmed levers and lack of a mag well, it feels just like all my competition pistols :)

Alex

I wouldn't even think of running a .357 magnum round thru and Airlite. I would only use .38. I'll def. practice with the gun whenever I got to the range even if I only put 50 rounds down range. The whole idea about what "WILL" you carry is a great point. I hate carrying the Baretta because it is too big/bulky and heavy for concealed carry. It isn't bad in the winter time but any other time it isn't very good. Plus, I'm a salesrep and I want something my customers won't have any clue that I'm carrying when visiting them. Thus the reason for the AirLite. The Seacamp would be better concealed but i don't like the idea of a .32 to protect my life. I guess it is still better than nothing though.

Pete

Pete,

.32 vs. .38 will come down to which gun will let you place hits where they need to go faster. Unless you're planning on enduring the serious pain of shooting an AirLite a LOT in practice, pick something else ---- or realize that it will only defend your life if your opponent is close enough to throw it at him....

I'll second Bucky's recommendation of the S&W Chief's Special Autos, the ones I shot in 9mm and .45 were nice. I personally own (and would carry in the summertime if that was permitted) a Kahr K9 --- it's small and slim and holds 8 rounds of 9mm Corbon and shoots as well as I can. Want a .45? Look hard at the Sig P245, a cutdown 6 or 7 round (don't remember which right now) P220. Shooting that gun I can regularly hit poppers out at 40 yards, and I put five rounds into one ragged hole at 10 yards once. It's the gun I most regret not buying --- though since CCW is out in NJ, it would most likely be a safe queen...

Wintertime would find me carrying a Glock 19....

I have been in search for the "perfect" carry pistol for about 2 shelves in the gun safe full...I've tried most any new whiz bang on the market, but settled on 3.... I carry the G23 in a shoulder bag for the car.... the SW442 in a fanny pack for rides on the bike (I stashed a couple of boxes of NyClads away) .... and the KelTec 380 for pocket...to limit to one pistol for under $400 I would go with a SW 640 (.357mag) but load it with .38Nyclads. I think it is one of the best of the pocket revolvers....and if limited to only one pistol would be my choice.... however weight was a greater consideration so I kept the 442....regards

Shooter40,

I've front pocket carried the KT .32 for a couple of years now, it's with me literally all the time(I put in the glove box while I shoot IPSC) because it is so light and slim. Mine has been very reliable and suprisingly accurate. The sights suck. I don't shoot it alot, to me it is a last chance, oh crap I can't get away, shove this up your nose gun. The small caliber eradicates any thoughts of heroisms (I try to keep a G35 near, but I must have complete concealment for everyday).

I will upgrade to the .380 KT when opportunity arises.

An aside to PP, for front pocket carry I found the small revolvers too bulky and the grips tended to stick out the top of my pleated front docker style pants. How are you planning to carry this piece? Means everything.

I have a Colt Cobra, which is very close to the Smith Airweights. Very rarely do I carry it anymore. Why? My G26 is the same size, conceals easier, holds double the ammo, is more accurate, reloads faster, and is impervious to water, gook, and about everything else.

All in all, a better mousetrap.

FWIW...

I'm carrying a KelTec P40 with skateboard tape replacing the logo and "checkering" on the grip. The factory logo and checkering ate my palm when I shot it. The P40 is light, compact and easy to carry. It does, however, tend to ouch! a bit when I shoot it. The recoil vibrates the grip a lot.

My next carry gun????

When Hubby builds another 9x23, I'm going to "borrow" the current one. ^_^ It's a little snappy, but it feels good. Did I mention it's pretty, too?

L

Don't know about the polymer and steel kahrs, but some of the other ones had real problems with the barrels, etc. Don't know that I would bet my life on one.

I had an early stainless in .40 and it shot great. Too heavy for a hide out gun. Nearly pulled your pants off. No improvement in that dept over my Commander, so I sold it.

I still don't understand why noone prefers the S&W revolvers!!! I don't even own a revolver only semi-autos but something this small that has been tried and tested for numerous years seems perfect. Most of the guys at my range carry these guns because of the small lightweight size and ease of concealment. Plus, being a revolver it will always work when you pull the trigger. For $350 I just don't think I can go wrong. Having this gun on me all the time is better than having a bigger gun on my 10% of the time.

Pete

The last time I heard it said, Clint Smith said it...so he gets the attribution. "Pistols are suposed to be comforting, not comfortable."

Of course, The Colonel (not Colonel Bill, the other one ;) ) said that "...pistols are only good for fighting your way back to where you left your real weapon."

With as many decent fairly small autoloaders out there, there just doesn't seem to be much reason to tote around a five-shooter when a guy (or girl) can have more bb's in the same size envelope. Compare, say, a S&W 342PD to a Kel-Tec P11...a very flat 20-ounce (loaded) 11-shot 9mm against a round 18-ounce (loaded) 5-shot .38. Both go in a pocket, sure, but one is nice and flat and the other...isn't. One has 11 shots of 9mm, the other has 5 shots of .38.

Personally, though, were I to carry a revolver I'd be tempted to carry a 329PD just for the entertainment factor :)

Alex

When people start talking about carry guns, they get all excited about carrying this or that, mainly cause it has a big hole in the barrel. It was stated in this thread that anything you have with you is better than the big hole gun which is at home. I carry a N. American .22 mag derringer in my suit pocket when I cannot tote my Commander. No, I am not going to try to stop the LA bank shoot out with it, but at arms distance it is better than a knife or nothing at all. It will also probably allow me to get to my car for a rapid departure.