Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9 major poppleholes

thomas223

Don't have a 9mm but I have them on my 38SC open guns. When I get a new gun, I won't have those poppleholes.

Makes the lens dirty and sometimes kinda distracting when I feel some of the gas coming out of them. Had to load almost .2gr more to make a comfortable major pf.

Dan Bedell doesn't like poppel holes. I have to agree with his thinking. The little bit more gas that escapes from the holes that reduces recoil is not worth bleeding off the precious gas needed to achieve muzzle velocity. By the time you add more powder to get PF, you kind of defeated the poppel holes. They do throw nice flames though. :devil:

Dan Bedell doesn't like poppel holes. I have to agree with his thinking. The little bit more gas that escapes from the holes that reduces recoil is not worth bleeding off the precious gas needed to achieve muzzle velocity. By the time you add more powder to get PF, you kind of defeated the poppel holes. They do throw nice flames though. :devil:

Dan talked me out of 9mm major in 2004 when he built my "shorty" in .38 supercomp, which he put poppleholes in it.

With all the crap it throws up at the scope, I'd insist on NOT having poppleholes on another.

poppleholes is a term used by Bob from Brazos. If you shoot a slow powder "n105" or 3N38 with lots a gas volume having the "right combination" of holes helps. If you consider who is finishing at the top in open almost all of them are using holes, but I think they are also shooting 38 supercomp (more case volume). I think the only guy shooting a gun with no holes is Jo Jo but then again he’s shooting 9mm major.

Ignore what the other guys are doing and try some guns with and without before deciding. I have owned both and I found very minimal improvement with the holes. For me they are NOT worth the extra blast. Try to lead instead of following......Good strategy for everything in life :)

poppleholes is a term used by Bob from Brazos. If you shoot a slow powder "n105" or 3N38 with lots a gas volume having the "right combination" of holes helps. If you consider who is finishing at the top in open almost all of them are using holes, but I think they are also shooting 38 supercomp (more case volume). I think the only guy shooting a gun with no holes is Jo Jo but then again he’s shooting 9mm major.

The "Popple" comes from Adam Popplewell; he suggested the idea to Bob and Bob made it work.

http://www.brazoscustom.com/magart/short_and_sweet.htm

Edited by JThompson

Ignore what the other guys are doing and try some guns with and without before deciding. I have owned both and I found very minimal improvement with the holes. For me they are NOT worth the extra blast. Try to lead instead of following......Good strategy for everything in life :)

I agree, but data is data. You can spend more time and money trying to reinvent the wheel or you can improve what is already available. My point was you can use the equipment available and learn from these shooters who are also R&D for a few years and keep your mind open…

Going back to the topic, I shot about 20,000 with 38 supercomp and maybe 150 matches. The holes are good for 3 to 10 y targets, having a flat gun is good, having a violent gun is bad. I think you can tune the gun with holes to work really good, if you can find a load that takes advantage of it. Shooters who tend to flinch don’t like the holes because it makes them flinch even more. Having said that, I would get a gun without holes first, develop a load for it which includes also a recoil spring that works best for your gun.

When you have master shooting the gun and eventually you notice you could improve your hits at comfortable distances, (3 -10 Y), then maybe it is time to evaluate drilling holes…

Trigger control!!!Track the dot!!!

DVC,

Sandro

Edited by Sandro

Like Sandro said.

I like a few small barrel holes for a Super or Supercomp but I think you're asking for pressure problems putting them on a 9x19. Better to have a long barrel, long comp [4 chambers minimum, my opinion], and then add sideports a pair at a time to soften the back-kick.

If your open gun isn't tuned as far as slide weight, hammer spring weight, slide spring weight, FP stop roundness etc - all the holes you can drill in the top won't help that much.

Wanted to know if people are useing poppleholes on 5'' 9 major guns. If so how many and what size holes. What load works best with them?

As you can see my 9mm Major Razorcat has 6 and it's the flattest shooting thing I've shot to date. I love it..8.0 Silhouette to make Major. Johnny Lim told me he can make Major same gun 7.8 Silhouette different altitude...

I'm shooting a shorty in 9mm with 4 small poppleholes. I talked with the smith about this and he said that he's tried it with and without and he suggests having them. I'm loading up 9.1 gr of SP2, which is on the slower side and it works the comp very well.

Wanted to know if people are useing poppleholes on 5'' 9 major guns. If so how many and what size holes. What load works best with them?

As you can see my 9mm Major Razorcat has 6 and it's the flattest shooting thing I've shot to date. I love it..8.0 Silhouette to make Major. Johnny Lim told me he can make Major same gun 7.8 Silhouette different altitude...

You do realise that to make that a valid association you would have to compare this to the same design without the holes drilled? I have shot many open guns with and without barrel holes that shot VERY flat. I have a shorty that was built with 2 barrels, one with holes and one without and have done this experiment myself. The holes added mostly blast and noise. Very minimal improvement due to the addition of the holes.

Edited by larry cazes

You do realise that to make that a valid association you would have to compare this to the same design without the holes drilled? I have shot many open guns with and without barrel holes that shot VERY flat. I have a shorty that was built with 2 barrels, one with holes and one without and have done this experiment myself. The holes added mostly blast and noise. Very minimal improvement due to the addition of the holes.

Yes, I realize you would.. I'm only comparing my 3 other open guns without holes and the dot just moves less with the Razorcat

I have tried many different configurations and don't like them. They do flatten the gun out, but at the expense of major noise and crud on the scope. I'd rather have a gun that tracks well than a flat shooting gun.....