Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XDM tight chamber?

jasmap

Anybody else have a tight chamber in their XDM 9mm? I have never had to case gauge so much in my life. I use the EGW Lee "U" Die and I still have to cull rounds when I case gauge because the chamber is so tight. I have switched to once fired (from my gun) Speer nickel and have had no problems since.

Jason,

I only have a .40 XDM and it is one of the first 5000 and it has a chamber roughly the size of my M&P ie no problem's and doesn't seem undersized, but it is a 40 and not a 9. Maybe it is a sign that you should switch to Polymer Perfection (S&W M&P) :-)

Not an XDM but an XD with an undersized chamber. Gunsmith had to run a 9mm reamer to bring it up to what it should be.

Solution - bring to gunsmitth, check chamber, run the reamer in, and that's about it.

I'd call Springfield and make them fix their problem before I'd pay a 3rd party gunsmith. sometimes just polishing the chamber can help,

I'm with Joe here! You might try putting a mic to the once fired cases and comparing that figure to the "book" for a 9mm round. Then you would have something to talk about should you call Springfield. I know this... if they think it should be adjusted they will do it without charge.

• 2 months later...

I posted about a short chamber on my XDm 9mm. I ran all my rounds through a Dillon case gauge and they all went, but wouldn't function in my gun. I admit I load on the long side, but they work flawlessly in my STI and I don't want to have to load 2 different lengths and keep them seperate, PITA.

Well I figured out my problem was a loose nut holding the Lee "U" Die on the press.

I load my 9mm to 1.135 to be on the safe side. It runs like a top in my XDM now.

A loose die will bite you every time! I had a classifier that went down the tubes fast because of a loose seating die that put the OAL all over the place... I now check them every time I reload. I was helping a friend out and was tearing down the 550 to change it over to another caliber and that habit paid off. I reflexively cheked his 45 dies and his seating die and crimp die were loose. He spot checked the 300 rounds he had loaded and the last 100 has some minor variation that he corrected.

I have gone to the rings with the allen locking screws in them to hold the dies in place... me ...paranoid...NEVER! :roflol:

Edited by Classic_jon

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...