Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lightweight Steel Striker

Duane Thomas

I was surprised to see all the positive comments, in another thread, about skeletonized steel strikers improving ignition reliability with light striker springs. Logic would have told me that lighter mass would equal lighter impact, not greater. Of course, logic and reality are not always the same thing.

Which lightweight steel striker would you guys recommend as most desirable?

I was surprised to see all the positive comments, in another thread, about skeletonized steel strikers improving ignition reliability with light striker springs. Logic would have told me that lighter mass would equal lighter impact, not greater. Of course, logic and reality are not always the same thing.

Which lightweight steel striker would you guys recommend as most desirable?

Check your PM's

I have lightened a many factory strikers on the mill but can't get one to feel as good as the Lightning Strike Steel. The Lightning Strike Ti has the best feel of any striker out there. It really feels much different than the lightened steel that they sell.

But I also still run factory striker springs. I just no longer trust the reduced power springs.

Anyone out there had experience with the GlockWORX, Lightning Strike and Bar-Sto? Whatcha think?

I have Lightning Strike lightened steel strikers with a 4 lb striker spring in 5 different Glocks, ranging from open G17 and G34 to limited G35 to production G17 and G34. All are used in conjunction with a Vanek trigger and work great, with a slight difference in pull weight from gun to gun depending on frame to slide fit. Reliability has been not been an issue thus far.

i have a Lighting Strike Ti, Bar-Sto steel and the Glockworx steel.

in a Glock 35 I've found that

the Lighting Strike feels good . . but is starting to chip away on the lower edge of the tip after only 10k of factory rounds, every one i ever talked to has said that Ti does this so it's not a slam on Lightning Strike. . .I just wish it would have lasted a bit longer

the Bar-Sto felt a little too mushy and had the odd light strike.

the Glockworx Striker & Trigger combo took some experimenting with springs & connectors but i now have a (Just Under) Sub 3 lb trigger with a positive reset and all light strike issues have gone away.

I have heard rumors on the range that there might be a Ti Glockworx striker soon,

if true (Ray????) I'd think that with the right spring set up that it would be the ticket, light crisp with a positive reset, correctly sprung - no light strikes, short reset. . .and safe. . longevity will be the test.

I tried a Lightning Strike Ti striker years ago, and noticed some early (as compared to Glock) wear on the tip. I didn't see a noticeable difference in trigger pull or pull weight compared to stock.....

The Bar-Sto striker assembly that came in my 6" upper when mated to a 21 lower with a 3.5 lb. connector was very light, smooth, and crisp. That same striker assembly swapped into the stock upper produced an identical feeling trigger pull.....

I haven't had any experience with the aftermarket ones. I ordered a factory striker thinking I would be able to beg someone with a drill press to let me use it. I didn't want to pay $75 for a striker with holes in it when I could get a complete striker for $30 from glock and make my own holes(I have this problem with having more time than money at this point in my life). I got impatient and used a dremel tool to cut it exactly like the pictures in this thread.

As soon as I did it, I was impressed with how it affected the trigger pull. It was lighter and crisper immediately. That alone was cool, but I haven't had a light strike since I did it either. Before, I was getting them pretty often with CCI primers and was having to load with Federal Primers for bigger matches. I took right at 25 grains out of it. I've heard they may weaken and break eventually, so I check mine for stress marks every time I clean the gun.

Edited by Rob D

i have a Lighting Strike Ti, Bar-Sto steel and the Glockworx steel.

in a Glock 35 I've found that

the Lighting Strike feels good . . but is starting to chip away on the lower edge of the tip after only 10k of factory rounds, every one i ever talked to has said that Ti does this so it's not a slam on Lightning Strike. . .I just wish it would have lasted a bit longer

the Bar-Sto felt a little too mushy and had the odd light strike.

the Glockworx Striker & Trigger combo took some experimenting with springs & connectors but i now have a (Just Under) Sub 3 lb trigger with a positive reset and all light strike issues have gone away.

I have heard rumors on the range that there might be a Ti Glockworx striker soon,

if true (Ray????) I'd think that with the right spring set up that it would be the ticket, light crisp with a positive reset, correctly sprung - no light strikes, short reset. . .and safe. . longevity will be the test.

We looked into doing a lightened ti striker because we have a really good source for ti. Unfortunately some other vendor somehow got a patent on a skeletonized ti striker. We are scratching our heads on how they were able to patent something so broad as that. When we ran our stainless steel skeletonized 3rd gen strikers we ran some solid ones in Ti. They are not skeletonized but have the extended tip and post just like the 3rd gen. We are going to skeletonize some in shop for our own guns but probably would not sell them because of the patent issues. We may sell the solid ti strikers as is though. These are Certified 6AL4V TITANIUM

We have found that there is a certain weight range that is ideal for glock strikers. When you go under that you have to make up with it in more spring or an extended tip.

Edited by Yar1180

So has anyone "heard of lightened steel strikers breaking" as in "I talked to someone it happened to" or as in "I heard an urban legend that it could happen"?

Had a Lightning Strike lightened steel striker break off the tip about 4 years ago. Was

doing a bit of dry fire, and it just snapped off. Lightning Strike replaced it, been running

fine ever since.

So has anyone "heard of lightened steel strikers breaking" as in "I talked to someone it happened to" or as in "I heard an urban legend that it could happen"?

Had a Lightning Strike lightened steel striker break off the tip about 4 years ago. Was

doing a bit of dry fire, and it just snapped off. Lightning Strike replaced it, been running

fine ever since.

I also had the tip of one break off, but it was during a match, not dry fire. It was several years ago and before LS started coating the strikers with the gold color. LS replaced the broken striker no charge when I sent it back to them. I have had no issues since or with any of the five I am currently running. Since I appear to be the reigning champ at breaking gun parts, I take that as a good sign.

So it's kind of like a 1911 on which, every time you clean the gun, you pull the extractor out of the gun, clean the extractor, clean the tunnel through the slide. Every time you clean a Glock, pull the firing pin out of the gun, clean its tunnel, check the firing pin tip is not chipping.

The only striker that has broken has been a factory piece that I lightened myself. The tip broke off. This was back when I dryfired alot. Since then I have not had one break per se but I have worn out a few Lightning Strike units. Both steel and Ti.

Lightning Strike advertises the lifespan to be about 15k rounds. The two that wore out both went over 40k rounds. One just very recently as in a few weeks ago. The TiN finish on the Ti strikers is there to protect the striker and the foot area is where the wear occurs. Once that finish wears away.....the striker life goes down hill fast. Factory strikers do not wear like the Ti piece in the foot area near as bad. It gets sort of rounded and starts to slip off the cruciform. You will start to get a dead trigger on occasion and then it will double some. But up until those problems surfaced....I never had any issues and the trigger always felt great.

Just for comparison sake. I'll list the weights of the strikers.

Factory striker- 124 grains

Lightened Factory(milled by me) - 82 grains

Lightning Strike steel- 70 grains

Lightning Strike Ti- 52 grains

Glockworks/ZevTec also has a new lightened steel but I am unsure of the weight as I have not used one. I believe its just a factory piece that has been lightened.

In my findings.....the factory strikers are the most durable and long lasting. The ZevTec may be a good durable piece if it is a factory modified piece.

Since one of the GlockWORX lightened steel striker's features is that its tip is longer than stock, pretty sure this isn't a modified stock part. ;)

You are correct....their website states it is milled from a billet of stainless steel.

Since one of the GlockWORX lightened steel striker's features is that its tip is longer than stock, pretty sure this isn't a modified stock part. ;)

A bit off topic...but, I can think of two ways to get a longer tip out of a stock striker. (In theory...as I have never needed to try either method.)

A bit off topic...but, I can think of two ways to get a longer tip out of a stock striker. (In theory...as I have never needed to try either method.)

and they are?