Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Internet Accelerator

Guest qstick

I hate having a dial-up conection, but it is the only choice out here in the boonies. I keep seeing ads (especially on Yahoo) about accelerator's that will make a dial-up connection 4x faster....do these things really work as advertised? How noticeable is the difference? If anyone is using one of these accelerators, is there a specific brand (site?) that you would reccomend?

Thanks,

Zach

If AOL 9.0 has it(?) I can't tell. It works from what I have heard by using some type of memory to download webpages faster. It does not increase your download or uplaod speeds. It just accelorates web surfing. Guess that is better than nothing. Would be able to surf BE.com faster. :D TXAG

The ones I’ve seen work by “pre-fetching” (God only knows if I’ve remembered the right phrase). When you’re viewing a web page (like this one) it will start downloading all of the links available to you. When/if you choose a link and click on it your machine already has a head start and the page will appear much quicker.

Does it work? Sure with my wife’s surfing style she noticed quite a difference. Me? I tend to rush things, impatient to get to where I want to go and I didn’t allow enough time on each page for the program to get much of a head start so all I noticed was how BIG the “Temporary Internet Files” folder was getting.

I feel your pain! I too sang the “in the country dialup blues” for what seemed like an eternity. Not to rub salt in your wounds but I just downloaded a 9.5 MB file in 6 seconds (yeah baby!). B)

Good luck,

Ed

TANSTAAFL

Only less wire between you and the remote modem location will speed up data transfer rate on a Telco dialup line. Only a real high speed connection technology like ADSL will actually give you a connection speed faster than 56Kbs over the Telco wiring system.

Most of these snake oil applications for surfing faster just keep track of places you go and after you have been there once (at normal speed) they use locally cached versions of the images and other fixed page content so the page loads faster on subsequent visits than if all of the content was being downloaded each time. This is slight of hand to make it look look like it's faster, but it ain't!

I am personally not aware of any technology which will move data bits faster than the speed at which they are already traveling.

Regards,

There are also a couple systems that compress the heck out of whatever images (and other stuff) you're fetching.. it'll be faster, but it'll look like Monet was painting where the pictures should be.

There i$ al$o broadband $satellite acce$$ available today. For upload$ you $till need a dialup connection and will be limited by the 56k limit, but dowload$ are much fa$ter.

But a$ you can $ee from my little hint$,,,,it i$n't cheap. :-)

H4444

Yeah I wish. Unfortulantly, the only things available where I live are dial-up (the FASTEST I've hooked up here was around 20k) and satellite.

The houses NEXT to me have cable...yet for some reason the company will not run a 100 ft. line to my house so I can get it...EVEN if I pay for it.

Should be a vent...

The houses NEXT to me have cable...yet for some reason the company will not run a 100 ft. line to my house so I can get it...EVEN if I pay for it.

Should be a vent...

If you get along with your neighbors and they already have broadband, you could easily put in a WiFi repeater to cross the 100 feet and bring broadband into your house. Then you could split the cost of their service with them.

Before I moved, my neighbors and I were seriously thinking about this.