Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What case cleaner media is best get resizing lube off of cases ?

apdsgt806

I have a large number of 40 S&W brass that came from my old PD range. It was all fired in Glock 22s , so it all has the Glock bulge. I just ordered a Redding GRX Push Through Die to remove the bulge. The cases must be lubed and I will most likely use Dillon spray lube, as that is what I have. I was wondering what would be the best media to use in my case cleaner to remove the lube from the cases.

I have a large number of 40 S&W brass that came from my old PD range. It was all fired in Glock 22s , so it all has the Glock bulge. I just ordered a Redding GRX Push Through Die to remove the bulge. The cases must be lubed and I will most likely use Dillon spray lube, as that is what I have. I was wondering what would be the best media to use in my case cleaner to remove the lube from the cases.

I just dump it in my vibrator cleaner with the crushed walnut for about 30 minutes.

Mark K.

I just dump it in my vibrator cleaner with the crushed walnut for about 30 minutes.

Mark K.

Same here except I use corn cob. I wipe them with a towel when I take them out. Works great.

Art

• 4 weeks later...

I use a single station press for the GRX die and the Dillion 650 to load the brass after that. I also have two tumblers. the Dillon I use for normal case cleaning with walnut media. The second, a Frankfort Arsenal, I use with corncob media for precisely the same operation you are describing, except I wait until the "de-glocked" brass is loaded to clean the lube off, since it eases the loading process even with the carbide dies. I also use the de-lubing process for loaded 223 which would have lube on them as necessary for the die passes as well. I get the corncob and walnut media from Pet Smart which they use for "reptile bedding" I think. It is cheaper there but pretty much the same stuff sold by reloading supply houses. I just like corncob for the final polishing thing a bit better than walnut. I think it removes the lube better (more porous maybe?), and makes 'em shinier than walnut, but is not as aggressive and therefore not as effective for initial cleaning as walnut.

Also, keeping the "lube soiled media" separately from the polishing media assures I won't get any lube inside my cases which might contaminate something.

Edited by Justsomeguy

Why is this step necessary?

Cosmetic reasons?

I've never done it with 40 or 9mm minor loads.

Just wondering....

BB

'Cause... my thumb slips off the lubed rounds when I load 'em in magazines and I might break a nail! Hehe... I just hadda put that in! I dunno... I just don't wanna put lubed ammo in my gun I guess.

Mark K.

Same here except I use corn cob. I wipe them with a towel when I take them out. Works great.

Art

Having to wipe them with a towel sorta defeats the purpose of tumbling them clean, doesn't it?

Hello: I use the EGW "U" die and don't have to lube them :cheers: I do use lube on the 223 I'm loading now. I have noticed the Corn cob seems to work better. I guess it is softer than the walnut so it soaks up the lube better. It also gives the brass that super shinny look. Thanks, Eric

Thanks for all the info. I ran a bunch of brass through the RXG die and it works great. Decided to get some new walnut media to clean the brass first and I am using the old walnut media to clean the lube off the finished cases.

Cosmetic reasons?

Just wondering....

BB

For me, it is all about brass recovery. I need to get back as much of my 38TJ brass as possible. I like to stripe my brass around the body (not the head), so it can be more easily seen and picked up. With the lube, I can still strip them, but it seems to 'burn off' or wear off during loading and firing. If I clean the lube from the loaded ammo, then stripe, it stays on much better.

Cosmetic reasons?

Just wondering....

BB

I am wondering too. I do have fellow shooter that cleans the brass after loading to remove the lube, just because the lube bottle says so. I have started lubing my cases only last year after getting a batch of tougher than usual 40 cal brass, and so far I have reloaded something about 10K to 15K between 40 cal and 45 ACP without cleaning a single case after reloading. I do not know why this step is ever needed for pistol cases. I think the directions to remove the lube comes from old time oil base lube for rifle cases where the oil lube would cause an increase of chamber pressure, but not sure if it is the case. Regardless, I do not clean the lube from the brass.