Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Extractor rod woes, Locktite or not?

glockwerkes

Of course this happened at a match, as is Murphy's Law. I noticed the cylinder was getting progressively harder to open. At first I thought the fouling was really building up, and then correctly diagnosed the problem as the rod backing out. Had to finger tighten it every stage to complete the match. Now then, what's the proper fix, circa 2009?

I did a search and found several relevant posts, but they were several years old. I understand to use an extractor rod tool or a padded vise to tighten, along with spent casings to support the extractor. The real question is to Locktite or not to Locktite. I'm wondering if several more years of experience has changed the collective opinions on the proper course of action. And back then, the responses seemed evenly divided on both sides of the fence.

I vote no. If you snug it up tight enough then you don't need the loctite. It will only make things harder when you do need to unscrew the rod, most likely leading to damaging it to loosen it.

Good luck, this thread should become pretty lively.... :lol:

DougC

I'm a big believer in using blue loctite on the threads of the screws, particularly the strain/yoke/thumb latch screws, but I don't use loctite on extractor rods. However, there is a pretty fine line between getting them good and tight, and overtightening them. If overtightened, extractors will crack down the side. And as Craig correctly points out, they're easy to bend.

THIS IS WHY YOU SHOULD LEAVE YOUR EXTRACTOR RODS ALONE!!!

Unless something gets broken or bent (which does not normally happen if the gun is not treated abusively), or you develop too much endshake (which might happen once or twice in the gun's usable lifetime), there is absolutely no reason to take the extractor assembly out of the cylinder.

Edited by Carmoney

The extractor rod, yoke screw and strain screw get Loctited. I have guns on which the extractor rod will stay tight, but most, however, will not stay tight without Loctite. A SMALL amount of blue Loctite on the extractor rod threads keep them from loosening at embarassing moments and still leaves the rod removable. Just like Loctite on the yoke screw keeps you from standing there looking foolish, gun in hand, with your cylinder/yoke assy laying on the ground.

I agree with Mike about leaving them alone and not disassembling unless you have a good reason, but when they're assembled they get a SMALL dab of blue Loctite.

Edited by Tom E

I do not use loctite on the extrator rod and I take mine apart more than the average guy, about once every year or two to get get the cylinder to free up if I have been shooting alot. It has been just over two years on my Randy gun and it is still free wheeling so I can wait a little longer on it. But that is just me. later rdd

...as Mike says "However, there is a pretty fine line between getting them good and tight, and overtightening them. If overtightened, extractors will crack down the side." There was actually a picture of this in one of the old threads I found. That was the primary reason for starting this thread. The gun in question has had about 3k of major PF loads down the pipe since getting it back from the place where hammer spurs go to die (Carmoney). I'm resisting the urge to detail strip and clean until the off season. Mike, I've been following your advice. However, based on the poll so far, it still seems to be 50/50 split.

I appreciate everyone's input. I'm going to sit it out for a few more days, as my next match is Saturday.

Rob

I'm resisting the urge to detail strip and clean until the off season. Mike, I've been following your advice.

Rob, just take out the strain screw, slide off the cylinder and yoke together. Take the cylinder off the yoke and clean the yoke barrel thoroughly. Then spray brake cleaner down inside cylinder through the opening around the extractor rod, leaving the cylinder and extractor fully assembled. Work the rod a few times while you're douching it out. Shake out the dirty brake cleaner, then apply a generous coat of synthetic motor oil to the clean yoke barrel, and reassemble the gun.

That's all you need to do. Seriously. I never take the extractor rods out of my guns. It's really not necessary.

I have had mine to work lose before and I put a small dab of fingernail polish on it. It seems to hold it but it also breaks lose easily for cleaning. I was told this many moons ago when I shot PPC a lot. And I guess this did nothing to help the debate. :-)

One solution, which is alternate to the locktite, is to buy the tool to install/remove the extractor rod. With the knurled surface one can get the extractor rod tight enough and solve 90% of the loose extractor rod issues.

sw-ert-t.jpg

One solution, which is alternate to the locktite, is to buy the tool to install/remove the extractor rod. With the knurled surface one can get the extractor rod tight enough and solve 90% of the loose extractor rod issues.

sw-ert-t.jpg

The Wessinger tool is fine, but the ol' drill chuck method is much faster and easier. You just gotta make sure to get the drill chuck good and tight so it doesn't slip.

UPDATE:

It seems that there are two distinct camps, those that Loctite and those who don't. I decided not to use it, and used a padded vise (supporting most of the rod). I figure if it happens again, I can put some blue on it at that time. From what I can tell, the Wessinger tool is out of production. I couldn't find anything comparable on Brownells. There is another company out there selling a knockoff (no offense) of it, and it can be found here:

http://www.gunsmithing-tools.com/store/scr...sp?idproduct=54

I think it would be cheap insurance to keep in the range bag for matches. I found you really can't get enough torque on it by hand. It could really save the day. Like most things we carry in our bags, simply having it will prevent the problem from ever happening again. In that case, it will be money well spent.

I shot with a well known Revosmith that doesnt post here, that left his rod loose for cleaning at the American Handgunner match ( we shot a bunch everyday....)

He made it a part of his routine. He loaded the cylinder, checked the rod to make sure it was tight, and shot the gun. No big deal since he checked it every cylinder full. I dont recommend this, but it can be done if you know to check if it is loose.

I am happy with my routine, and wont be putting any loctite on my rods, but to each their own. It is one more thing that I DON'T want to worry about when I have to tear it down for annual maintenance.

Regards,

DougC

I shot with a well known Revosmith that doesnt post here, that left his rod loose for cleaning at the American Handgunner match ( we shot a bunch everyday....)

He made it a part of his routine. He loaded the cylinder, checked the rod to make sure it was tight, and shot the gun. No big deal since he checked it every cylinder full.

No offense to anyone intended here, Doug (particularly since it's probably somebody I would know), but that sounds like an unbelievably silly and completely unnecessary ritual. There is no reason the extractor assembly would need removed for cleaning during a match, not even the Handgunner. With that routine, he's asking for trouble.

As I said before, in the (very unlikely) event the gun needs cleaned down in there during the course of a multi-day match event, a completely adequate job can be done with a spray solvent without taking the extractor out.

Yep, I wholeheartedly agree. This guy is old school, and cleaned it up everyday. Just what he did, just another way to do things.....When everything goes to hell on a stage the last thing I want to worry about is making sure the rod is tight....lol.

DougC