Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm .38 bullets are the same?

ATMester

Can I use 9mm bullets in a .38 SC comp gun as long as they are both .355 diameter.

Are those interchangeable?

Looking at Montana Gold's website, they list a bunch of 9mm under .355 diameter but only one in .38 what is actually .357

I am talking about bullets here not loaded ammo.

Mainly a 9mm .355 bullet in a .38 SC case.

I need some education I guess haha

Thanks Guys,

Can I use 9mm bullets in a .38 SC comp gun as long as they are both .355 diameter.

Looking at Montana Gold's website, they list a bunch of 9mm under .355 diameter but only one in .38 what is actually .357

Thanks Guys,

H,

Yes, shooters use 9mm (0.355) bullets in a .38SC guns.

.38 Super boolits normally measure 0.356

.38 Special and .357 Mag usually use 0.357

Each gun/barrel is different. Try the 9mm (0.355) and the .38 Supers (0.356) to see what your gun likes.

I would stay away from the 0.357.

Hope this helps and I'm sure there will be more comments coming shortly.

B)

Edited by HI5-O

Thanks Guys,

I use .355 and .356. Do not use .357! They are for wheel guns.

MIke

Thanks Guys, I was told to use .355 bullets.

It will be my first open gun (.38 Super comp) I don't know much about open and the related things.

I've been shooting SS.

Sorry for the noob questions.

Edited by TheHun

Yep, .355 will likely work just fine in your gun. Depending on the exact bore measurements you might get better accuracy with .356, but all my .355 barrels seem to shoot .355 Montana Gold and Zero bullets very well.

What's interesting is that Mike at Schuemann told me they've been doing some testing and got the best accuracy out of their barrels (.355) using bullets that were .357. No increase in wear and some indications that wear is actually less because the extra .001 seals the bore better so you get less gas blowby and less flame cutting. He was going to send me some .357 bullets to try (special run without a cannelure) but hasn't gotten around to it yet. R,

Yep, .355 will likely work just fine in your gun. Depending on the exact bore measurements you might get better accuracy with .356, but all my .355 barrels seem to shoot .355 Montana Gold and Zero bullets very well.

What's interesting is that Mike at Schuemann told me they've been doing some testing and got the best accuracy out of their barrels (.355) using bullets that were .357. No increase in wear and some indications that wear is actually less because the extra .001 seals the bore better so you get less gas blowby and less flame cutting. He was going to send me some .357 bullets to try (special run without a cannelure) but hasn't gotten around to it yet. R,

That's interesting, please let us know the results...

I use the Nosler 135 gr. .357 dia. bullet for my 9x23, I had one barrel .355(Nowlin) go to 125K before showing a lose of accuracy. The only problem running .356 or .357 dia bullets in a .355 barrel may be an increased wear, with the powders and barrels available today 100k+ shouldn't be a problem.

Rich

yes, the .355" will work fine, I thought I sent an answer to that one already :unsure:

Yes Dan I got that message.

I just never reloaded 38 SC before neither I know anything about it.

MG's website stated 9mm .355 diameter while I thought I need .38 SC .355 bullets LOL here is the noob.

I've been shooting SS for a couple of years, I never spent time learning about other platforms.

Thanks for the help all of you Guys, I ordered some bullets already.

I have a 1000 145 TMJ bullets(.356) I don't know what to do with. They are to heavy for my 38 super opengun. So your saying I can use them in my Beretta 92? If so is there a speed limit or good over all length? Thanks

I have a 1000 145 TMJ bullets(.356) I don't know what to do with. They are to heavy for my 38 super opengun. So your saying I can use them in my Beretta 92? If so is there a speed limit or good over all length? Thanks

They should work fine. .001" oversized isn't going to hurt anything and you might get excellent accuracy out of them...tight bore fit and lots of bearing surface. I wouldn't try max loads with them, but if you push them around 1,000fps they'd be pretty much like typical 147gr JHP defense loads. A little slower (say 900fps) and they're a perfect Minor load. R,

They should work fine. .001" oversized isn't going to hurt anything and you might get excellent accuracy out of them...tight bore fit and lots of bearing surface. I wouldn't try max loads with them, but if you push them around 1,000fps they'd be pretty much like typical 147gr JHP defense loads. A little slower (say 900fps) and they're a perfect Minor load. R,

Thanks

I have an autographed edition of the Nosler Reloading Guide, Fifth Edition printed in 2002 and the 2 bullets they list for the 38 Super are both .357", the 115 gr and a 135 gr. Naturally, both are Nosler bullets. So the .357 should be ok in that gun.

Alan~^~

I have an autographed edition of the Nosler Reloading Guide, Fifth Edition printed in 2002 and the 2 bullets they list for the 38 Super are both .357", the 115 gr and a 135 gr. Naturally, both are Nosler bullets. So the .357 should be ok in that gun.

Alan~^~

I am a little new to open guns. I use a 135TMJRN with 12.8 LILGUN posted vel 1357. Would a .357 make the comp work better?

I am a little new to open guns. I use a 135TMJRN with 12.8 LILGUN posted vel 1357. Would a .357 make the comp work better?

Probably not. If you want something flatter you'll likely have to go to a lighter bullet. I don't think anybody knows which powders produce more gas volume per grain, but it would be hard to imagine another powder that would put out more than what you're getting with that large of a powder charge. You're probably getting as much out of the comp as you're going to get at this point. R,

• 2 weeks later...

What about in a Glock 34 with factory barrel? Or, do I need a after market barrel like storm lake

Good info guys! I'm a noob want-a-be Open Class shooter and will be doing some experimenting with loads.

P.S. - Dan, I don't plan to blow up my new gun you built for me!