Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Area 3 is "NOT": full, come on out!

What part of speed, power and accuracy are low ports? Is it a shooting challenge or a flexibility challenge? How about some high ports and just put a ladder there for the short folks.

How about we start the stage with dips on the dip rack and then shoot the stage? Maybe a 300 pound bench press and then shoot the stage. Those things demonstrate power, not a shooting challenge. Sort of like being able to squat down to a low port and be stable.

Edited by Coach

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good points can be made on both sides of the low port issue. Maybe we should give that one a rest on this thread.

Had to be more going on at the match than port talk? (we probably have a few threads on that, I'd think?)

Yep, like the windmill, err I mean propeller on Stage 4 which was fun but looked WAY to fast at first look. I got 2 Alpha and Alpha/Charlie with just 4 shots :rolleyes:. Also the double wobble bobber thingy on Stage 2 was wierd.....I had a Delta/MIKE on one of them. :blush:

Lee

That was the first time I seen a bobber, I got A C on one side and C M on the other.....and I slipped one by on the far swinger on that stage for another Mike.............Darn me for not watching my sight.

Played dumb on stage 4 and forgot to put a mag in the gun before setting it down an dclosing the door......so I had 32 rounds for a 32 round stage with a wind mill.

Sounds like a fun match. Looks like most of the Kansas City guys did really well.

So, how did everyone shoot the stage with the long distance option?

Chris

Most that I saw took the "Not so long" shot option (my guess it was 60 yds) from the rear. The GM's in our squad took severaaal shots at them, my bud Jerry Nelson, in open, got both with 1 shot. And SUPER RIICH took 3 shots at the first and nailed the 2nd with "1" shot with his trusty 6 shooter.

My performance on that stage was ahhh, really bad, I'm trying to forget it completely. Suffice it to say I had a BAD plan and executed it very badly. The only real issues with my shooting all day. And I lumped them all into 1 course!

The only low port that was really an issue, other than prone and most did it at the end, was a lateral cut one that had steel hardcover at the targets. You could actually shoot without going to a really bad low position but have less target, or go kneeling and have almost a full target, or squat and have pretty much that same full target. Shooting it didn't hurt, but doing very many dry runs almost pulled a muscle!

They had a few traps laid, the worst was the 180's which I hate. Is it so much harder to try to put some barriers up to eliminate the sugar of speed in those traps? At my last count there were 6 DQ's but 2 of them had nothing to do with the 180's so it may have been a non-issue.

The match was a good one and ran WAY ahead of schedule. Manny received a special award from Dairy Queen for his efforts, and took it well.

I was squadded with Lee and Travis of the Army Team, and they worked their buts off and were quite pleasant to be around. They do us all proud.

The RO's and Staff were top notch. In my experience they were even better than I've witnessed at any Nationals yet. And the weather even cooperated.

Most that I saw took the "Not so long" shot option (my guess it was 60 yds) from the rear. The GM's in our squad took severaaal shots at them, my bud Jerry Nelson, in open, got both with 1 shot. And SUPER RIICH took 3 shots at the first and nailed the 2nd with "1" shot with his trusty 6 shooter.

My performance on that stage was ahhh, really bad, I'm trying to forget it completely. Suffice it to say I had a BAD plan and executed it very badly. The only real issues with my shooting all day. And I lumped them all into 1 course!

The only low port that was really an issue, other than prone and most did it at the end, was a lateral cut one that had steel hardcover at the targets. You could actually shoot without going to a really bad low position but have less target, or go kneeling and have almost a full target, or squat and have pretty much that same full target. Shooting it didn't hurt, but doing very many dry runs almost pulled a muscle!

They had a few traps laid, the worst was the 180's which I hate. Is it so much harder to try to put some barriers up to eliminate the sugar of speed in those traps? At my last count there were 6 DQ's but 2 of them had nothing to do with the 180's so it may have been a non-issue.

The Poppers were 39 yards and 35 yards. Stage 7(bay 6) was 34 yards. They were the longest shots of the match.

You can thank me and Tobydog for setting up the Steel hardcover target.

There were 2 dropped guns, an AD, and at least 1 180. I am not sure what the other DQs were for.

The stages were fun, ('kuz I am 5'-8", I loved the low ports :rolleyes: .....) the weather was BEAUTIFUL, the ro's were awesome! Special thanks to everyone involved in making the match happen. You all did a great job and we all appreciated everything you did to make this event happen!

Here is my best count (from what I can remember from competitors telling me when they came to my stage) on what the DQ's were for...

There were a total of 7.

2 for dropped guns (one on stage 5, and one on stage 10)

2 for a 180 (Both on stage 9, as far as I know)

2 for an early withdrawal (Both on stage 4)

1 Accidental Discharge (Stage 1)

Plus...we had a single stacker go open for not fitting in the box, and a production guy go open for grip tape under the trigger guard.

AND... about 10 of us went minor. Thankfully there were no sub-minors.

Frank

Thankfully there were no sub-minors.

Frank

Lol, that brings back memories from last year. Won't do that again...

I almost had that problem with my Girlfriends gun. Same ammo in my M&P9 that was 128 went 122 in my girl's 5in XD9. next three went 128. Very strange.

Embarrassing video time... the reshoot gods collect...

Three reshoots throughout the day (1 range malfunction, 1 calibration, and this one... plus gun problems (which turned out to be a sprung extractor) causing me to jack live rounds throughout the match... I run out of ammo on my last stage...

http://s894.photobucket.com/albums/ac149/d...ent=09Area3.flv

Frank

Edited by Franklin D Wolverton

It was a great match. Didn't look too difficult on paper, but it really tested a wide variety of skills. The weather was the best I've shot in all year and everything ran smoothly, only had to wait on the squad in front of us once because of a reshoot. Shot with a bunch of great shooters who were also even better tapers. :lol:

The stages were fun, ('kuz I am 5'-8", I loved the low ports :rolleyes: .....) the weather was BEAUTIFUL, the ro's were awesome! Special thanks to everyone involved in making the match happen. You all did a great job and we all appreciated everything you did to make this event happen!

If all of you don't know, Steven is the Area 3 Champion in Open, the only guys that beat him were GM's. :cheers:

I am 6'2" and 298.5 pounds and have to say that low ports are not my friend, but it goes with the sport and I love this sport. I enjoyed this match a lot and it has nothing to do with my performance at the match, it has everything to do with the guys and gal that I squadded with.

Everyone involved with putting this match on, I take my hat off to all of you. Thanks :cheers:

Edited by danscrapbags