Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bad Batch of Brass?

00bullitt

The brass is 38 Supercomp by Starline. The load is 8.2grains of N350 loaded to 1.235 under a Zero 125 grain 9mm(.355) bullet. Brass is splitting from the base of the bullet forward to the case mouth. It varies on each piece. Some just have small burned split areas that burn through as it is starting to split where the base of the bullet would be. Some would split all the way up. And some pieces had two splits. But 26 pieces out of 100 were split like this. This was fired in a new top end on a Hardy commander shorty. Barrel is a Clark 38 super. At first I believed it to be a chamber issue so I took it to my smith and he blue printed the chamber with negative plugs and checked with go/no go gauges. Chamber was perfectly in spec. Today went out and fired this ammo in a buddies Bedell gun and another friends Colt 38 super 1911. Brass was splitting in both other guns. Other SC ammo ran fine in this gun today without any issues so it was definitely narrowed down to the ammo and more specifically the brass. No other pressure signs are visible in the undamaged brass. What do y'all think? Sorry my pics aren't Cheely quality.....best I could get out of my 5mp Kodak B)

post-8688-1247273952_thumb.jpg

Edited by 00bullitt

In my Bedell shorty I was gettomg 175PF with 8.0gr of N350, WSR primer and a Zero 125JHP at 1.240". What sort of chronograph results are you seeing? 8.2gr could be getting a little toasty and the fact it's doing it in three guns would concern me. Is it the same lot of powder you were using with other brass? For a couple of reasons, new brass will almost always give you higher velocities and pressures than used brass...even once-fired.

I'd also compare the case volume on the new brass with other new (or newer) brass from a different lot. If the new brass has a smaller capacity it could be jacking up the pressure as well.

Failing all of that I'd call SL and see what they have to say. Maybe they'd be willing to send you 100 cases from a different lot so you could compare? R,

I'm not certain on the load because its not mine. The gun belongs to Singlestack. It was having some feed and reliability issues after the new topend was installed that I ironed out for him and this came up in the process. He was not certain if it was 8.2 or not......he was gonna pull a bullet to verify. But would I not see other pressure signs in the undamaged brass if it were hot. The primers are not even flowing.

This load made 1380 out of my old top end. It was a Shumann Hybricomp comander length AET. I shot it for years without ever any problems.

I just pulled a few and the powder weight looked ok but the powder looked strange and it was clumped up. The bottom half of the powder charge was stuck in the case and I had to get a small screw driver to get it out. It has been sitting in a ammo can for about 3 years.

This load made 1380 out of my old top end. It was a Shumann Hybricomp comander length AET. I shot it for years without ever any problems.

I just pulled a few and the powder weight looked ok but the powder looked strange and it was clumped up. The bottom half of the powder charge was stuck in the case and I had to get a small screw driver to get it out. It has been sitting in a ammo can for about 3 years.

I've seen the clumped powder before, but don't know if it means anything.

AET's and Hybricomps tend to run slow. The same load in a more standard barrel could be a fair amount zippier....and that's not a dig on Schuemann as they give me shirts and barrels ;)

Still, I wouldn't expect cases to split before the primers looked bad....strange.

I pulled one of the bullets from the ammo Singlestack gave me to use for test firing and the at least half of the 8.2 grains of powder was stuck inside the case and kinda clumped up. I used my pick to get it out and then noticed the greenish white looking corrosion line around the inside of the brass. From the base of the bullet down. I'm thinking that some sort of chemical reaction took place inside the case in the 2 years you had this ammo stored. The corrosion is in the area where the splits originate. I can actually physically feel the difference in the brass when scratching the inside of the case with a pick tool. The area that contacts the bullet is not as soft feeling as the area lower in the case. Its noticably softer and more maleable in the corroded section of the brass. Somehow the brass has weakened.

I don't believe this to be an issue of too hot of a charge or high pressure as it just didn't feel like it and there are no other visible signs.

Edited by 00bullitt

Sounds like a contamination of some sort. What kind of lube was used? Could it have gotten inside the case and caused some sort of reaction over time? It's not typical for powder to do this on its own. Look at all the commercial ammo that sits on shelves or in warehouses for years. Heck, think about the pull down powder from the 20 year old 30-06 ammo and how reloaders valued that powder.

I've seen those types of cracks using Armscor brass. Its been maybe 1 or 2 per hundred starting with the first load through its 6th or 7th loading. Corrosion isn't an issue in my case because they haven't sat around long enough start corroding before they're used.

I've never had one with starline (or any other brand of brass.)

I used my pick to get it out and then noticed the greenish white looking corrosion line around the inside of the brass. From the base of the bullet down. I'm thinking that some sort of chemical reaction took place inside the case in the 2 years you had this ammo stored. The corrosion is in the area where the splits originate.

That sounds like some pretty damning evidence right there.

I used my pick to get it out and then noticed the greenish white looking corrosion line around the inside of the brass. From the base of the bullet down.

Yep......Greenish white would indicate a reaction with the copper (greenish) and tin (white) in the brass of the case and the base of the jacket bullet. If the base of the bullet has exposed lead, the white could also be lead oxide. I agree with others posting here that this has to be due to some sort of contamination.

I would either dispose of the reloaded cases or pull the bullets to save and throw the rest out. You cannot trust a single case from this batch anymore, unless you pull and inspect the every case.

Edited by matt2ace

My "standard" load is 8.3 grains of N350 behind a Zero 125 grain jhp, .38 super bullet and sr primers. It chronos about 178 pf out of my Bedell shorty, and it was the same out of my old, Para.

I've never has any problems with Starline brass, other than losing them.

I bought one lot of Armscore brass, but, even if somebody gave me more for free, I will never load any more.

I use Dillon case lube.

:surprise:

Powder that is left in bullets that are not sealed can go bad, I dont think N-350 is the type of powder that is

meant to be stored loaded for a long time, some cleaning media has a rouge in it to polish and it will

react with powder and cause it to become cystal in nature, what you discribed seems to me that the

hard powder will cause the brass to get weak, I wouldnt fire those loads break them down use the bullets

if they dont look white or green on the bottom , send a few of the brass pieces to starline and ask them

if its beeen ruined.

Jim/Pa

Sailors ;)

Maybe the brass was tumbled with some sort of polish that contained a solvent that touched things off?

I've been trying to tell John its probably not a good idea to pee on his brass :P

Like that'll do any good......... :ph34r:

Maybe the brass was tumbled with some sort of polish that contained a solvent that touched things off?

I've been trying to tell John its probably not a good idea to pee on his brass :P

You just lucky you was too skeered to show today cuz you woulda had to tote a whoopin. :sight:

You just lucky you was too skeered to show today cuz you woulda had to tote a whoopin. :sight:

Even with only one good eye you woulda been a non-issue... :yawn::yawn::yawn: