Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Drills for testing open guns

Fireant

OK, I have 3 open guns with different comps on them that I want to test side by side by side. I am going to run 115's/121's and 125's through them all at about the same power factor. I am going to video shooting from the side as well as make notes after shooting each gun. What I need are some good drills that I can put the timer to and compare what is faster and slower. I know that the gun that shoots flatter may not always be the fastest gun on the clock. I do need a couple 3 or 4 easy to set up drills that I can do, that takes non shooting things out of the equation.

Thanks.

I like to set up 4-5 targets starting say at 5m and set next target say 1m to the right and 2-3m back, and so on so they are spread evenly/progressively and what I like to do is moniter my progress how quickly I can shoot this small course and pay attention to dot rise, reset, and if with different guns, transition from target to target. I like to do this when I try new loads, like you say flatter isn't always better where I have had loads that the gun returns more consistently thus better recovery time and faster follow up shots. Even a plate rack has shown me which gun or load I can shoot faster/better. Likely the gun you are more "consistent" with will be the one to stick with. Good luck!

I've always found he load as important as the gun maybe more so. Copmaringthe guns side by side will perhaps give you a preferance but even after you find the right gun a different load could change your mind. Open guns are great once they are set up correctly. Enjoy the process of finding the right set up otherwise you'll just be frustrated.

I've always found he load as important as the gun maybe more so. Copmaringthe guns side by side will perhaps give you a preferance but even after you find the right gun a different load could change your mind. Open guns are great once they are set up correctly. Enjoy the process of finding the right set up otherwise you'll just be frustrated.

agree

just pick one and shoot it, compare em all and see which one handles the best and shoot that one, but don't spend too much time on it. we have all heard it, its the indian not the bow

I suggested plate rack drills (or paper plates for me) because in my case I know my standard times for comparison and it's critical to see the dot to go fast. It's also helped me a lot returning to my Limited gun after 18 months. Seems a good way to push each gun.

I don't recall now where I copied the info from, but Matt Burkett has a set of "timing drills" that are very good for helping you compare different things. Just Google "burkett timing drill" and you should find them.

Edited by Graham Smith

I don't recall now where I copied the info from, but Matt Burkett has a set of "timing drills" that are very good for helping you compare different things. Just Google "burkett timing drill" and you should find them.

Timing drills are good for a lot of things - like finding the timing on a new gun, etc. I wouldn't use a timing drill to compare guns - especially not in an A/B type of fashion.

Also, because you're changing back and forth between things, tracking on the guns is probably not going to be "right" - in large part, this is also a "timing" thing. In fact, it may get worse on all three, because your body doesn't quite know what to do with each one...

I would suggest:

- Triple Six

- Vice Pres (basically, El Pres started facing down range) at 7, 15, 25 yards. You can even leave out the reload, and just shoot the first part of the string. Search Eric Stanley's posts (dirtypool40) for "The Partials". Use that array, if you really want to get a good feel for how the gun tracks, etc.

- a Steel Challenge like stage (I like Roundabout or 5 To Go), or something similar

- an awkward angle stage, like Off Balance Blast

- a medium length field course with shoot on the move opportunity ranging from 7 to 20 yards (and try to take as much as possible on the move)

That covers most of the game in terms of things the gun's performance will affect. Shoot each drill a couple times with each gun - you're going to be "getting used to" each gun every time you switch, so... Shoot the first one relatively safe, and then try to drive the gun hard on the 2nd one. If you have the ammo, running a timing drill every time you change could be useful.

Realize that if one of these guns is your current primary gun, its going to feel best (probably). Ignore feel when you're doing stuff like this :) Just track scores...

Edited by XRe

I believe people in your line of work had nothing to do over summer. ;)

Ouch, that hurt :roflol: I have to finish the kitchen remodel before I can get to the range. I'm almost finished now.

Same here, I went yesterday to start some testing and the skies opened up on me. I did test 2 different powders in one gun and found that just by changing to a different powder, I cut 1.5 seconds off of my tripple six times. My load with Silh. I averaged 11.2 seconds over 10 runs, my HS-6 load I averaged 9.7 seconds. Both loads chrono'd at 172 PF. I'm starting to see and think that a load that feels good, may not be the better load. The Silh. load feels good and I thought I loved this load. The HS-6 load hit my hand harder, but the dot track was amazing. My raw times on the 7 yard targets was identical, but the HS-6 load was always A hits. The Silh. load was about 50/50 A/C. More next week when I can do more testing in without the rain.

Someone in the classifieds has Vectan SP2 for sale. Only powder I've ever used that tracked better - and flatter - than HS6.

If you want to see another tracking difference, shoot 4 rounds of brass brass, then 4 rounds of nickel, 4 brass, 4 nickel. That will get your attention.