Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

where to buy texas star?

colbyjack

Mike gibson manufacturing makes a texas star. I have one It is hell for stout. They are great people to work with. The current price is $664.16 . They calll it the whirly gig.

Mike gibson manufacturing makes a texas star. I have one It is hell for stout. They are great people to work with. The current price is $664.16 . They calll it the whirly gig.

+1 to that :cheers:

This has been discussed ad nauseum in another thread, but the plate mounting system on the MGM star is far inferior to the original design on the ones made by Terry Ashton. The design and springs on the MGM allow plates to fall that have NOT been hit. That simply never happens with the original from Terry Ashton. If your MGM doesn't do this, I'm happy for you. You got lucky.

I guess that means the 2 clubs I shoot at both got lucky because they both have MGM stars (whirly gigs) and the Area 1 match used one and I have never seen a reshoot for range equipment failure.

It is one thing to support a product made by someone you know but not if it means bashing anothers product.

It's Montana shootout time.

I guess that means the 2 clubs I shoot at both got lucky because they both have MGM stars (whirly gigs) and the Area 1 match used one and I have never seen a reshoot for range equipment failure.

It is one thing to support a product made by someone you know but not if it means bashing anothers product.

I love MGM's poppers, but not their star. I shoot at clubs that have both and the MGM is inferior. I'm supporting the better product, not an individual. Thank you very much.

ETA. and not bashing anyone, just stating the facts as I see them.

Edited by Steve J

Secure Firearms Products makes stars that we have used in the International Revolver Championships for a few years now. The ball detent attachment for the plate is better than the ones designed with a spring that holds them in. The detents can be adjusted so that they work for .22 or centerfire. I hate the spring held plates; one just cost me a few seconds yesterday when it held the plate in and I had to shoot it twice.

Wow !! I guess we have lucky ones up here too ??

I've seen them have a hard time coming off (edge hits) but "never" seen the plates fall off prematurely, sometimes I wish they would !! Thats Utah, northern Nevada, Idaho, ?? All lucky ones I guess ?? <_<

Another vote for the Secure Firearms texas star unit. They are a sponsor here and also sponsor the Bianchi Cup, the IRC, The PRO-AM, and countless other matches. They are a family run business and are great folks to deal with. I have shot on most if not all of the designs for the Texas star and prefer the Secure design. My .02 centavos..... :cheers:

DougC

A point to ponder...the Texas Star designer was Terry Ashton, and that is a fact. Several years after Terry started marketing his design, Mike decided that he wanted to build Stars too...he called Terry and asked for permission (!).

Everyone else just ripped off the idea.

Something to think about ;)

Mike's Star is rifle-grade...shooting one with a AR at 100 yards at MGM was great fun :D

Alex

I would get the latest prices from Terry, but a few months ago he quoted me $575 for the star plus $200 for crating and shipping. It seems like the MGM is about the same price (shipping is free, but the price is higher.)