Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Leitner Wise Defense AR bolts

kurtm

Ok I got two of the really upgraded Leitner Wise bolts, I immediately started getting what appeared to be failure to eject malfunctions. I went through everything and this is what I found. The bolt face isn't opened up enough on either bolt. about 50% of rounds tried, once levered in to the extractor, would fit the bolt face so tightly that the ejector couldn't push the round free of the extractor. This was done with the bolt out of the rifle and out of the carrier, by hooking the rim into the extractor and levering it over to sit flat on the bolt face by hand. After firing and experiencing 3-4 failure to eject per 30 round magazine, I once again inspected the bolt face. The sides of the bolt face cut were coated completely in brass filings and then any type of ammo tried would hang up. For what these cost I am on the fence of whether to send them back, or just chuck them up and LIGHTLY clean up the cut. Anyone else notice this? KurtM

Ok I got two of the really upgraded Leitner Wise bolts, I immediately started getting what appeared to be failure to eject malfunctions. I went through everything and this is what I found. The bolt face isn't opened up enough on either bolt. about 50% of rounds tried, once levered in to the extractor, would fit the bolt face so tightly that the ejector couldn't push the round free of the extractor. This was done with the bolt out of the rifle and out of the carrier, by hooking the rim into the extractor and levering it over to sit flat on the bolt face by hand. After firing and experiencing 3-4 failure to eject per 30 round magazine, I once again inspected the bolt face. The sides of the bolt face cut were coated completely in brass filings and then any type of ammo tried would hang up. For what these cost I am on the fence of whether to send them back, or just chuck them up and LIGHTLY clean up the cut. Anyone else notice this? KurtM

For what they cost I would definitely make them make it right. If you chuck it up and it breaks they'll blame you. If the fix it and it breaks its their dime. With that being said I don't have any high dollar bolts :roflol:

I had the same issue. Sent it back and got one with the same problem.........I got rid of it and just stuck with colt MPI bolts until I tried the JP. The JP is a sweet piece and it works. I had these problems almost two years ago. Seems like LWRC would have fixed the problem by now.

Kurt, you may have found some bolts to sell to the Euro's for euro's for dollar prices, its win win. you get your money back and if they use them in the match you win on the scoreboard :roflol:

I probably need to check the one that came with my Firebird!!!

Trapr

Kurt,

I talked with John Paul about this and LW has remedied the problem...I think. The first production run of bolts had bolt faces with very tight tolerances. Because of this....LW has recalibrated tools to solve the problem. Oooops....so now that your part of that crowd I would suggest calling to see about fixing your prob.. Hope this helps.

sw

spelling edit

Edited by Sterling White

I know this was an issue with a batch made a while back///I think it has been fixed

None of the ones I had seemed to have any problems

If anyone got one from me that has an issue...I will make it right !!!!

Jim

Does Leitner Wise make the bolts for JP? I thought Leitner Wise changed to LWRC.....Land Warfare Resource Corp? Are they the ones making the bolts or is it Leitner Wise Defense.......a different company?

Hmmmm...I got them from John, but I knew he didn't make them. I will give LWD a call tomorrow. Thanks guys. KurtM

Kurt,

Same thing for me. Got an upper from John and had the intermittent failure to eject...couldn't figure it out and then read an article in SWAT magazine that mentioned the boltface problem. Gave John a call and he had me send in my bolt and I had a new one within the week. He is aware of the problem so it should be a pretty simple swap.

Take care, Craig

Does Leitner Wise make the bolts for JP? I thought Leitner Wise changed to LWRC.....Land Warfare Resource Corp? Are they the ones making the bolts or is it Leitner Wise Defense.......a different company?

Two separate companies. Leitner Wise was the original company and I believe some people left and started Land Warfare Resource Corp. According to this Leitner Wise press release, there seems to be some very bad blood between the two companies.

Two separate companies. Leitner Wise was the original company and I believe some people left and started Land Warfare Resource Corp. According to this Leitner Wise press release, there seems to be some very bad blood between the two companies.

Correct. LWRC wants to be disassociated from Paul LW for several reasons, one of which took place circa 2006.

As I read My original title it says LEITNER WISE DEFENCE...the DEFENCE is right there in the title. I really don't care about the negatives between corp XYZ and corp ZYX, I just want a bolt that doesn't fail to eject. I don't feel that a "technical" thread requiers any he said they said, I don't like them because... type of stuff. Anyone can hate anyone about anything, but it doesn't relate to BOLTS and or bolt specs. KurtM

Looks like some of us have a case of AADD....

Kurt, a friend of mine had the same thing happen with his LW Bolt from JP. If you seated a case under the extractor and seated it so it would depress the ejector it would NOT budge unless you gave the case a light flick. He sent it back and promptly got a replacement that has been flawless. Seating a case in the bolt like before would promptly send the case flying across the room. Mine has been perfect since day one so I believe it was just the bad batch.

As I read My original title it says LEITNER WISE DEFENCE...the DEFENCE is right there in the title. I really don't care about the negatives between corp XYZ and corp ZYX, I just want a bolt that doesn't fail to eject. I don't feel that a "technical" thread requiers any he said they said, I don't like them because... type of stuff. Anyone can hate anyone about anything, but it doesn't relate to BOLTS and or bolt specs. KurtM
Edited by JoshF