Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Land mines

KGentry

The last time I shot a stage with "land mines" I broke one with my dropped mag. I got a procedural and it pissed me off. I remember it well because it was this summer. I usually don't get PO'd about procedurals. If I did it, then so be it. However, breaking a land mine with a dropped mag when the whole place is covered with them just ain't right.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then, don't drop the mag? Retain it if you need to...or whatever.

As I said back on page 2 when this first went around...it's a situational awareness test...and a distraction from the shooting.

It's no more right or wrong that "Can You Count" (to 5 ? why 5???)

I've had the chance to shoot a good number of land mine stages, and run other shooters through them. I see them as a chance to make people think while shooting (a very good thing), but I have to admit that I don't find the penalty for breaking one with a dropped mag exactly fair and equitable since some divisions require more mag changes than others.

If I'm shooting Limited I might have to manage only one mag change and make sure that the dropped mag doesn't break a clay. Someone shooting Single Stack division might have to make four or five mag changes. The revolver shooters -- maybe more. It becomes statistically more likely that the divisions with lower round capacity might break a clay with a dropped mag (or speedloader) and that doesn't seem right to me.

I'm sure I'll see more stages like this, but I hope stage designers will at least remove the penalties imposed for a dropped mag breaking one of the obstacles.

Did somebody say "Cooper Tunnel"?

CIMG9414.sized.jpg

Somewhere I have a full video of this stick bouncing way up in the air from the muzzle blast and yet returning to stay in place. Wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it.

Same thing with land mines-- if the muzzle blast knocks an acorn off a nearby tree and breaks a clay does that count? I don't see any place to draw the line that doesn't involve chance unless you limit to competitors feet (and/or body) and leave the rest out.

I've had the chance to shoot a good number of land mine stages, and run other shooters through them. I see them as a chance to make people think while shooting (a very good thing), but I have to admit that I don't find the penalty for breaking one with a dropped mag exactly fair and equitable since some divisions require more mag changes than others.

If I'm shooting Limited I might have to manage only one mag change and make sure that the dropped mag doesn't break a clay. Someone shooting Single Stack division might have to make four or five mag changes. The revolver shooters -- maybe more. It becomes statistically more likely that the divisions with lower round capacity might break a clay with a dropped mag (or speedloader) and that doesn't seem right to me.

I'm sure I'll see more stages like this, but I hope stage designers will at least remove the penalties imposed for a dropped mag breaking one of the obstacles.

Huh ?

We score by divisions. So, it doesn't matter what Limited does vs. Single-stack, right?

Maybe I don't know how real land minds work. In my mind, they don't know if a foot tripped them or a piece of gear did.

And, really...how ya gonna steal the "noc list" if you aren't careful about where you drop stuff? :roflol:

post-690-1251315735_thumb.jpg

Huh ?

We score by divisions. So, it doesn't matter what Limited does vs. Single-stack, right?

There you go trying to ruin my philosophical solution to this situation by using facts and logic.

Shame on you.

And, really...how ya gonna steal the "noc list" if you aren't careful about where you drop stuff? :roflol:

I don't think that harness is rated for me.