Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I have a 3 car garage with 2 garage doors. I am looking for a temporary wall, divider, or any other way to seperate the 1-car area from the larger area. I would like to find something that can be removed and set aside if necessary. I am using the smaller area as my reloading area. I do have a portable a/c unit in the 1-car area and I'd like to help keep it cooler by minimizing the area it needs to work in. My garage is insulated.

Anybody have any ideas as to a good way to seperate the areas without building a permanent wall?

Have you considered office dividers? (like those used to build a cubicle)

Not sure if this is what you desire BUT an other alternative would be the clear plastic rubber strips that hang vertically, like those found in a butcher shop.

Edited by Bigpops

If you want real temporary, I would look at the telescoping wall poles and visqueen or sheet plastic.

http://dustdoor1.com/wall-poles/default.asp

You will still get light transmitted through clear plastic, and it would come down and store really compact.

Randy

After thinking about this a little more, you could do the same thing with the plastic and some 2x4's use the 2x4 to hold the plastic to the ceiling via screws.

Randy

If you want real temporary, I would look at the telescoping wall poles and visqueen or sheet plastic.

http://dustdoor1.com/wall-poles/default.asp

You will still get light transmitted through clear plastic, and it would come down and store really compact.

Randy

Thanks Randy. That's definitely something I'd be interested in. I'm going to check on it now as a matter of fact.

Bigpops, I looked at the office dividers but they take up a little more space than what I'm looking for. I like the rubber strips idea.

Or, literally curtain rods and solid fabric curtain panels. Our living room is an add-on to the original house, and is always considerably colder in winter than the main house. By putting up a curtain in the doorway and running a space heater when we're in there, we can actually make it warmer than the house --- and conversely save on heating bills by turning down the thermostat for the rest of the house....

Same thing could work in a garage, and allow you to open the curtains between reloading sessions....

If I were in your shoes I would build a wall using the cheapest 2x4 studs that I could find, have a stud every 2 ft. Use construction screws instead of nails that way dissassebly will be a snap, then use what ever inexpensive material you could find to cover the wall. This I think would be a very cheap way to go. And if you deside that you want to make it permanent then all you have to do is anchor it to the floor and throw up some drywall.

If I were in your shoes I would build a wall using the cheapest 2x4 studs that I could find, have a stud every 2 ft. Use construction screws instead of nails that way dissassebly will be a snap, then use what ever inexpensive material you could find to cover the wall. This I think would be a very cheap way to go. And if you deside that you want to make it permanent then all you have to do is anchor it to the floor and throw up some drywall.

We use the garage a lot for different things so I can't do that at the moment. Ideally I would like to do this but at the moment I just can't.

Buddy used to have his model building work bench in his unheated 2 car garage. He build a nifty set of walls on an overhead track that pushed up against the work bench. The side walls folded in on the main wall and the whole thing pushed to the bench. He used the hardware they make for those big sliding barn doors for the ceiling mechanism.

Walls were 2x2 verticals to 2x4 horizontals. Foam bead board insulation and light paneling for a skin. He finished and insulated the ceiling over the area the walls could enclose and each wall had a garage door weather stop on the bottom. One side wall acted as the door to the interior.

Worked well enough that a small space heater would keep his work space nice and livable for his long hours of building his WWII armor models (from scratch, not kits).

His wife's car could stay inside so domestic tranquility was preserved. They later built on to the house so the model building went inside but I always thought this was one of the more cleaver things I had ever seen. Wish I had taken pictures.

Something to consider: if your area is anything like mine, business are going bankrupt left and right. You might be able to find some cubicle or display walls in a firesale for next to nothing.

Edited by jkrispies

• 9 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Years ago when I was welding for a living we used temporary screens so we would not flash anyone. Its like a shower curtain but on a stand. Simply arrange as you like. The bonus is when you kick all the cars out you could use them to set up a practice stage! Double duty is the name of the game. Here's a link.