Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading

Jon Merricks

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's one other consideration here in the U.S.  Generally speaking if the stage is low round count it is a hoser stage, meaning you must shoot quickly in order to place well.  So trust your shooting and run the gun dry unless there's a tough steel array at the end.

Agree with everyone in needing to know more about the stage scenario and layout; how much paper, how much steel if any, distances between shooting boxes or positions of engagement.  To me the stage design dictates what needs to, or can be done.  In production division, I've shot 11 round stages where I finished at slide lock and also shot 11 round stages where I reloaded somewhere during the course of fire.  I don't let the presence of steel mandate the need for a reload nor do I shoot more conservatively than normal to prevent having to do a reload if I can't do one without losing time.  And yes, every once in a while, that approach comes back to bite me.

Vince,

My reload philosophy is this (10 rd mags):  if I have to take more than three or four steps to engage another array, I reload.  I don't care about round count or anything else, I reflexively top off the gun.  And yes, I make 4 reloads on stages where everyone else makes 3.

[Tactical Mode ON]

The reason I do this, is because that's what I'd do if it was the "real deal." I carried an eight round .45 for years, and I've got a pet peeve about running around with a half-empty gun.  It's a habit.  It's not "gamey," and I get criticized for doing it in matches, but that's how I play the game.  Plus, I get to practice my reloads, which are in sorry, sorry shape.

[Tactical Mode OFF]

If I was a TRUE comptetitor, I'd play the odds and run my gun dry provided there was no substantial movement.

E

If I"ve got the chance to make a reload on the move and it not cost me any additional time, then I do it.   Not because of a buffer for droped shots but as a buffer for malfunctions.  I Figure if you have a dud round and you clear it and continue you are then going to have to make a slide lock  reload on top of it to finish the COF , Double Ouch. Most times I'll go with B and roll the dice if there is a question of time on the reload.

Guys,

Bear in mind that to a guy llike me who has been shooting a 13+1 for many years, reloading is second nature, despite the odd fumble.

In fact, I sorta feel unfulfilled with a 9 round speed shoot :)

Over the years I've learned to toss in the reload whenever there is doubt. (Meaning I'm not totally certain of the decision to not load.) The good thing about this doubt is that it (should) arises from your own personal skill level, and how your skill level is related to the stage you're questioning.

be

Thanks for all the input guys, especially from Jedi Master Enos :)

Yes, I agree that the plan of attack somewhat varies according to the course design, type of targets, the amount of movement and so on.

All things considered though, I think I prefer to include a planned reload. Old habits, which have served me well, die hard.

Detlef,

I've been shooting a G21 in Standard for a long time but at my first Production match, I changed to my G17 because I didn't need to make Major plus I had an extra 4 rounds. I shot like Stevie Wonder on LSD.

I don't know whether it's the larger frame of the G21 or less felt recoil (to me) or what, but I definitely shoot it better than my G17.

I shot my next Production match with the G21 and did very well, eventhough I chronographed at 194, which helped the poppers get down quickly.

Quote: from Pat Harrison on 6:10 pm on July 30, 2002

Not doing the reload might (MIGHT) win you the stage. Doing the reload will avoid any problems and thats what wins matches.

GRRRRRRR! Just when I think my year's experience has allowed me to figure something out, you come along and remind me how little I really know.  I'm changing my strategy to do the reload from now on, before I get bit.  Thanks for one more learning experience....

Steve,

Yes, we use Standard Capacity magazines. It's only in North America that you are forced to use Low Capacity or Sub-Standard magazines.

The term "hi-capacity" is a term used by anti-gun groups to mislead legislators and the public into thinking we are nut cases who want magazines larger than those normally supplied by the manufacturer.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Dear new reloader, I didnt read any of the answers that you have about this topic. But... first of all, buy yourself a reloading manual. You even have reloading manuals for just one calliber. Ask Dillon Precision.

Second, and no less important, write every thing you do, record it, keep all the proofs you do.

Third, why dont you go to the basics? They are still the best and no one could beat them yet.

Which are they? well, im going to tell it to you because its not a family secret.

Feed your gun with Starline brass (.45 acp in your case, obviusly) Federal primers. Winchester 231 powder, and of course Nosler 200 or 230 grains bullets.

That is hard to beat.

Want to continue seeking for best results?

Change or compare with CCI primers and after it with Hornady XTP bullets.

If you dont want to mess your self, well, then buy loaded ammo, Federal Premium is the best.

Sincerelly, Swagerman

honoriomc@hotmail.com