Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Picking up Brass with the Nut Wizard

R A Miller

A while back there was this post about using the Nut Wizard for picking up brass. I was wondering if anyone has been using one of these and what size works best.

I've found three on-line stores that sell the Nut Wizard.

Holt's Nut Wizard seems to be the main distributor of the product. They describe the extra small model as the "Ammo Wizard".

This seller also calls the extra small model the "Ammo Wizard". One more seller here. This seller has the best deal on shipping, $12 for up to three. The other two sellers charge $12 shipping per item.

It appears that they all are selling the same product, but it's hard to tell from the photos.

I'll be using it for picking up 9mm and .40 S&W and I'm thinking of purchasing the extra small "Ammo Wizard". Any advice on the appropriate size Nut Wizard would be appreciated.

Rick

What is your range's surface like? grass, gravel, bare concrete, dirt, sand?

The surfaces vary. Hard packed dirt with medium to sparse grass coverage and caliche (severely weathered limestone). On concrete I use a broom and a long handled, heavy duty dust pan.

Rick

our range purchased one of the blue plastic things (a lot more money than the above, I think it was around $700 US). works really well on cement and grass. Obviously not gravel, and it doesn't grab .22 cases either.

the 11" version seems right, It works ok on hard pack, or packed crush and run, doesnt work at all on grass, Go to a farm supply store like tractor supply , or Agri Supply. I bought mine for $22 at Agri supply. Gotta love the store that doesnt bat an eye when you walk in and throw a bunch of pistol brass on the floor then grab the different sizes and see which one works best.

the 11" version seems right, It works ok on hard pack, or packed crush and run, doesnt work at all on grass, Go to a farm supply store like tractor supply , or Agri Supply. I bought mine for $22 at Agri supply. Gotta love the store that doesnt bat an eye when you walk in and throw a bunch of pistol brass on the floor then grab the different sizes and see which one works best.

$22 sounds a lot better than $45 + shipping. Joe4d, was it called a "Nut Wizard" where you bought it? I'm going to call around and see if I can find one locally.

Thanks,

Rick

I have been using one for a few weeks now. Unfortunately I paid $45.00 for mine, wasn't resourceful enough to think about the farm supply store. The small one works great on dirt and blacktop, not too good on soft sand, and not at all in grass.

It is super great for the fat man that can't bend over for more than 1 min at a time without passing out from lack of oxygen.

Butch

That's the Ammo Wizard. Did you buy one? How's it working?

Rick

Well, I did have three and still have one that hasn't been "borrowed". I did modify a leftover telescoping paint roller handle so mine will collapse down and fit in my jeep but still be able to extend out for better reach at the range.

There are a few with the bag a nut machines but at our range it picks up a lot more of what you don’t want and if the ground has a low spot or a clump of grass it misses a lot of cases. The convex surface and small size of the nut wizard corrects the problems and as an added bonus you can drive around aluminum and steel cases.

If you don’t have any at your range once you get one there will be many unless you wait to scavenge brass once everyone else is gone.

It is super great for the fat man that can't bend over for more than 1 min at a time without passing out from lack of oxygen.

Hey, I resemble that remark. Unfortunately, our range is grass... so I wont be able to use this :angry2:

I'm wondering how something like a leaf rake would work to at least compile it...

Frank

Hey, I resemble that remark. Unfortunately, our range is grass... so I wont be able to use this :angry2:

I'm wondering how something like a leaf rake would work to at least compile it...

Frank

+1 :P

Frank

+1 :P

I use a combination of things, I have an extra small, small, and medium nut wizard. The extra small works the best for pistol caliber and .223. The medium works well for shotgun hulls and loaded shotshells. I also use a small rake and a large dust pro handled upright dustpan for heavy grassy areas.

Unfortunately, our range is grass... so I wont be able to use this angry.gif

Frank

I use mine in grass as long as it’s not too tall.

Before the nut wizard I had been working on a system that used an Echo leaf blower/vacuum that pulled through two 5 gallon buckets (so brass didn’t go through the impeller). I set it up so heavy objects would drop into the bucket and lighter objects (dirt and grass) would pass through. It picks up pecans in my yard with grass tall enough you couldn’t see that they were there but I never did get it to “finished” status.

Edited by jmorris

...I did modify a leftover telescoping paint roller handle so mine will collapse down...

Thanks for the info jmorris. I really like the idea of using the telescoping paint roller handle. I have a couple in the garage somewhere.

Now I need to try and find a Nut Wizard locally. I think that this might be a seasonal item for picking up pecans in the fall.

A regular leaf rake doesn't work well in grass. I found a rake with a small head and stiff, plastic tines. I use the rake with a handled dustpan that rotates up from the weight of the brass when you lift it up off the ground. The stiff tines kind of flick the brass into the dustpan. It works okay and it's much easier on the back than repeatedly bending down. :D

Rick

post-1767-1244837560_thumb.jpg post-1767-1244837585_thumb.jpg

Here is a photo of the vacuum rig without the gasket. The idea is that the leaf vacuum draws down the buckets and heavy objects fall into the buckets while other stuff just runs on through. The original idea was to mount it on one of the small four wheeled carts.

On the right side of the 1st photo is the much smaller lighter and quieter nut wizard, shown with the modified paint roller handle its 35” collapsed and 57” extended. Cutting the tubes is easy but I did have to machine and thread the aluminum end that the basket screws onto.

post-6631-1244846841_thumb.jpg

post-6631-1244846907_thumb.jpg