Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P Limited Gun vs. S_I (etc)

JeffWard

I get 20 reloadable in the mags but they do not lock the slide back when dry. The gun shoots great groups and I like the feel of it and it runs like a top.

Have you determined why this is? Are the mag springs not strong enough?

Dave Sevigny is cleaning up now in Limited with a G35... in addition to his Production titles.

Indian, not bow or arrow. What Flex said "Pick one and practice". I personally like my STI for Limited and my M&P for production but that doesn't make one better than the other for Limited application.

Edited by Bigbadaboom

I get 20 reloadable in the mags but they do not lock the slide back when dry. The gun shoots great groups and I like the feel of it and it runs like a top.

Have you determined why this is? Are the mag springs not strong enough?

The mags were setup when I got them, so I am not sure of exact configuration. Let me be clear sometime s it does lock the slide back it just depends on the guns mood.

My guess is stock springs just are not strong enough to lock the slide back all the time.

I do plan to get some of the 10% springs and try them. I just hear that you can only get 19 reloadable with those. Not that one round is going to make or break me.

My sons shot M&P40s in limited for a short while. Francisco had ZERO problems with the setup. I got him another STI just because the M&P is a little too light for his grip/hold and major PF ammo. But he always tells me that he liked shooting the MP40 limited. My oldest son, on the other hand, is a lefty and his grip didn't get along with the M&P; he engaged the slide stop all the time.

M&P40 is very usable for limited, just as a G22 would be. Unlike the Glock, you can load up to 1.150" OAL for the M&P. If there was a 5" M&P40 would be sweeter but IMHO the difference is almost none. I'd say, get the gun, set it up and try it. The worst than can happen is that later you end with a inexpensive backup to the S_I.

YMMV

My sons shot M&P40s in limited for a short while. Francisco had ZERO problems with the setup. I got him another STI just because the M&P is a little too light for his grip/hold and major PF ammo. But he always tells me that he liked shooting the MP40 limited. My oldest son, on the other hand, is a lefty and his grip didn't get along with the M&P; he engaged the slide stop all the time.

M&P40 is very usable for limited, just as a G22 would be. Unlike the Glock, you can load up to 1.150" OAL for the M&P. If there was a 5" M&P40 would be sweeter but IMHO the difference is almost none. I'd say, get the gun, set it up and try it. The worst than can happen is that later you end with a inexpensive backup to the S_I.

YMMV

Good stuff, Nemo.

Ive found that about 1.135" oal is the limit with 40 round nose ammo before you start getting too long for the mags. ymmv.

Jeff - Since you're used to a long trigger pull anyways (i.e. from your CZ/EAA and the M&P) there's no reason other than mag capacity (I don't know what a M&P mag in 40 with extensions hold) that you couldn't do well.

As for the 5" vs. 6" vs. sight radius of a M&P well...all I'll say is this. I'm pretty sure that Travis kid on the AMU uses a 5" gun and he's won a couple of big matches recently.

Rich

• 2 weeks later...
My oldest son, on the other hand, is a lefty and his grip didn't get along with the M&P; he engaged the slide stop all the time.

Did you try swapping the stop to the other side (it is interchangable, as I recall?) ... or, were you trying to keep it at the same setup?

YMMV

Why 1.150 OAL ? Was that to keep a common load between all the various guns you guys have?

My standard 40 load for the Glock (Zero 180JHP) was always 1.135 OAL. I could get them to 1.150 OAL, but beyond that...you start getting into the profile of the bullet and what will feed through the mags.

My oldest son, on the other hand, is a lefty and his grip didn't get along with the M&P; he engaged the slide stop all the time.

Did you try swapping the stop to the other side (it is interchangable, as I recall?) ... or, were you trying to keep it at the same setup?

The M&P has an ambi slide stop, it is the mag release that can be swapped.

If he was engaging the slide stop the thing to do was switch to a larger grip insert to move his thumb back away from the release. I do this quite frequently when test firing guns with small or medium back straps. I like the feel of the medium in my hands but they don't agree with me when I am shooting them, so I stick with the large just for that reason.

:cheers:

Why 1.150 OAL ? Was that to keep a common load between all the various guns you guys have?

For practice ammo that was the longest I could get to work in the M&P and the STI.