Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P Striker Springs

Tokarev

I've been getting intermittent light primer strikes with my Pro and my first guess is that I've got a problem with the striker spring.

In looking at the Brownell's website, they show a complete striker assembly and also list the Striker Spring Guide. Are these all the same between the various models? The plastic spring guide in my Pro is kind of a whitish color. Does that signify something unique to the Pro or are all these all white? Can I replace the striker without worrying about the spring guide?

Another route would be to get an aftermarket striker spring. Anybody know a source?

TIA!

Edited by Tokarev

I've been getting intermittent light primer strikes with my Pro and my first guess is that I've got a problem with the striker spring.

In looking at the Brownell's website, they show a complete striker assembly and also list the Striker Spring Guide. Are these all the same between the various models? The plastic spring guide in my Pro is kind of a whitish color. Does that signify something unique to the Pro or are all these all white? Can I replace the striker without worrying about the spring guide?

Another route would be to get an aftermarket striker spring. Anybody know a source?

TIA!

A factory Glock striker spring works in a 9 or 40 M&P very nicely.

A factory Glock striker spring works in a 9 or 40 M&P very nicely.

Man! This is good to know and I could have certainly used this info on Saturday.

On another note, I pulled the spring out of my .45 and installed it in my Pro. It about doubled the trigger pull but it seems to work okay. I didn't fire it, per se, but I did set off a primed case with the different spring installed.

The .45 spring is the same diameter but it's longer than the 9mm spring so I don't know if it would work properly in the run.

Don't know the answer to your question but do know there is some issue with M&P pro Striker springs. Mine gives at least one FTF in most matches, with any sort of ammo. Have changed the factory striker assembly several times no change in function.

Being new these pistols are still sort of a puzzle, what makes them tick & fail. The striker design is real dependent on spring action. Older designs Revolvers 1911's BHP's make good use of heavy hammer fall to ignite. The Glock style striker like on a M&P, it's mostly spring that ignites. Have seen Glocks FTF but mostly when the striker is dirty. They seem to have the spring rates worked out.

Boats

Being new these pistols are still sort of a puzzle, what makes them tick & fail. The striker design is real dependent on spring action. Older designs Revolvers 1911's BHP's make good use of heavy hammer fall to ignite. The Glock style striker like on a M&P, it's mostly spring that ignites. Have seen Glocks FTF but mostly when the striker is dirty. They seem to have the spring rates worked out.

The old Hi Powers were set up with a pretty stiff hammer spring to ensure positive ignition with even the hardest of primers.

You'd have thunk Smith would have put a pretty stout striker spring in the M&P series, or at least in the 9mm guns, to handle surplus and/or machinegun ammo. When I'm getting misfires with Winchester primers, something is definitely out of whack!

Tokarev

Agree, the old designs were built to work and nothing better than a heavy hammer to make a primer pop with little effect on the trigger. Strikers are different, the relationship between springs makes the trigger pull as well as ignition. Sort of like a double action revolver I guess they are double action. I expect going to a heavy spring is going to increase pull. I have said before the striker designs are intended for police work and to compete on lowest price bids not heavy possably dirty service under all conditons. I still like the gun and think it's going to be cured. Meanwhile Have worked on clearing it fast, takes about 2 seconds.

Boats

This might be just one mans opinion; but factory ammo downright sucks these days.

I even know of a squib that happened last weekend in a G34 shooting blazer aluminum cased 9mm., it was poking out the muzzle halfway..

I used to ask "are you shooting reloads" when theres a problem, now I should ask, "is it wally world ammo?" :o

• 4 weeks later...

I agree about the ammo.

We had one shooter shooting Federal American Eagle 9mm 147's and the case was torn and had rolled back tiny as hell but, the gun sure knew it. Cost him the stage.

Then we had a Remington Green box 9mm 115's go way low on the chrono. That about cost him the ability to score for the match.

Used to be with factory ammo all you had to do was fight the extra snap.

Sorry got off track.

All the housings are white.

The 9mm/357sig/40S&W are the same striker assy and the spring weight too. I went and bout two extra whole assy for spares for a quick change out.

The 45 acp is another animal from the recoil rod to the spring.

I think that the back straps and sights are about the only thing that is the same.

I had about 3 light primer hits in my Pro at the last match. All the primers were completely seated in the pocket (I checked everyone of them after case gauging). I bought a couple Extra Power striker springs from Speedshooters to see if it makes a difference.

• 1 year later...

Don't know the answer to your question but do know there is some issue with M&P pro Striker springs. Mine gives at least one FTF in most matches, with any sort of ammo. Have changed the factory striker assembly several times no change in function.

Boats

I have one of the first year runs from the M&P line up and it has over ten thousand rounds without a hickup one so I don't know why they would make a pro model that simply does not perform. I shoot .40 so the pro won't be on my buying list for a while. All the M&Ps I own I have had no problems at all.

• 2 years later...

With Apex sears, I don't notice the extra power striker springs. Since the stock sear does push the striker back more I can see where the trigger pull would be heavier with an extra power striker spring. I consider the extra power striker spring, Apex sear, and Apex USB to be standard for all of my M&Ps.