Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550 tech question re primer slide

I've got a technical question re my 550. I've had it for 6 months now, have loaded thousands of problem free rounds. It's all been good.

Today I've switched over to load .45ACP. All has gone fine except - the primer slide will just not align with the primer magazine. It gets into the housing but always stops about 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch short. Frustrating. I need to give it that extra little bit of help by tugging it by hand to make it align and pick up the primer. Obviously not very handy for progressive loading large batches.

I've gone through the manual. On page 9, figure 12 there's a reference to adjusting the set screw (part 13961). I've adjusted this screw in and out - seems to make no difference whatsoever. I still don't have the primer cup picking up the primer from the tube.

I've also measured the height of the cup and it's correct.

So my problem just seems to be getting the slide to make that extra tiny bit of travel that it seems not to want to do without me helping it by hand.

Any suggestions/solutions???

Thanks.

I've had that issue. For me it has always been related to garbage build up. I am guessing since you just switched everything the area is clean. You could tweak the rod that pushes the slide back so it pushes it a little more.

I agree. If you're talking about the screw on the back side (outside) of the assembly, that appears to be for setting where the primer pickup assembly / slide stops at the other end.

I'd take the primer assembly off and make sure everything is cleaned and lubed (where necessary). If that doesn't fix the problem, start bending the bar that indexes the primer slide until it does the job.

I agree. If you're talking about the screw on the back side (outside) of the assembly, that appears to be for setting where the primer pickup assembly / slide stops at the other end.

I'd take the primer assembly off and make sure everything is cleaned and lubed (where necessary). If that doesn't fix the problem, start bending the bar that indexes the primer slide until it does the job.

This is precisely why I like this forum so much. Ask a question and get a practical solution. And quickly at that.

I tweaked the bar a bit and *presto*, the slide made it all the way to the primer pick-up point. I just loaded 200 problem free rounds.

Thanks fellas. Problem solved. I am obliged to you. :cheers:

Single-

Thanks for the tip on graphite. My 550 slide hangs a bit from time to time.

Will take it apart and clean, then apply some graphite. Any details on where or where not to apply?

Many thanks-

Edited by internetguy

Silicone spray applied and then wiped off to remove any moisture also works well. Isn't as messy as graphite nor as corrosive to aluminum parts.

According to Wikipedia:

"...It is also corrosive to aluminium in presence of moisture. For this reason, the US Air Force banned its use as a lubricant in aluminium aircraft [8], and discouraged its use in aluminium-containing automatic weapons [9]. Even graphite pencil marks on aluminium parts may facilitate corrosion [10]. "

fwiw

dj

Lossen the entire assembly from below with the two bolts. Recenter the entire assmebly over to the right (or left if that doesn't work) again. The 550 primer assembly is simple. BUT, you can make it bind by having it tightened down in just the wrong spot. The primer punch ends up in the same spot. Also, don't over tighten any of these things.

And for future reference:

550 Priming Assembly Adjustment Notes:

Thoroughly polish frame, wherever priming slide touches it, with green Scotch Brite. (Approx. every 3000 rounds)

Wipe off Primer Slide with solvent or alcohol. Leave it all dry.

At rest primer slide adjustment: Set so that one primer, dropped down the tube, goes all the way into the Primer Seating Cup, 10 times in a row.

Angle of Primer Slide Operating Rod (13869) - Release rod from rollers and swivel it 180∫ so it's pointing straight up - it should be parallel with the Primer Housing Shield, or maybe outward "a little"; it should not be "inward" at all.

Be sure both screws (14530) that tighten Roller Bracket Shell Platform (14280) from bottom (to the Shellplate Platform) are tight!

Make sure Priming Seating Punch Assembly is fully bottomed out before tightening screw (13996): Measured from bottom of Primer Slide (13920) to top of seated Primer Seating Cup (13284/5), dimension should be between 2.125 - 2.220 inches.

Be sure Priming Operating Rod Bracket (13887) is adjusted so it's within a few thousands of an inch from the top of frame/Toplhead.