Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillion 550 Primers sideways!

Help, I keep getting primers that go in sideways. I have taken it all apart cleaned and reinstalled, now what? I do notice that the little metal thing under the primer bar is wearing weird towards the front of press and that the primer bar doesn't sit 100% flat.

See attached picture.

Thanks,

Scott

edited to add picture

post-7803-1244079005_thumb.jpg

post-7803-1244079192_thumb.jpg

Edited by spetrola

could be a few things

i had a machine would do that, and the little plastic tip (part number 14003 in your manual/parts breakdown) on the inner primer tube was broken on the end, it allowed the primer to twist and turn and it wouldnt load onto the auto press part correctly.

could also be the plunger on the primer feed system isnt adjusted to the correct height. I see in the book it calls for 1.215-1.220. It could probably be shorter than the 1.215 by a bit and be ok, but I would check that as well

Im gonna put my money on the plastic tip. It gets crushed on the steel tube if you overtighten the top nut/collar that the warning system clamps to (dont ask how I know this :unsure:

Also check to see that you have the right size tube in there. I forgot and left the large tube in once when I changed to small primers and it spit them every way but right!

Alan~^~

Help, I keep getting primers that go in sideways. I have taken it all apart cleaned and reinstalled, now what? I do notice that the little metal thing under the primer bar is wearing weird towards the front of press and that the primer bar doesn't sit 100% flat.

I find this is a common problem with mine after loading a certain number of rounds (10-12K), even if the primer feed mechanism is kept carefully aligned and cleaned. The wear makes the primer slide hang up instead of moving smoothly, making it more likely to bounce the primer sideways.

The only solution I've found is polishing the primer slide to smooth the gouge and replacing the prime slide plate it rests on as soon as the teflon finish begins to wear away. When the slide gets too gouged up, I replace it as well.

I consider those parts wear items, because I hate losing Federal small pistol primers :angry2:

Curtis

Just call Dillon and they will send you the parts you need. I would replace the bar under the priming arm and the priming arm if it's worn as well. Don't fight a worn out press trying to make it work like new. Just replace the parts.

Make sure you have enough tension on the powder measure.. reset bar.. It not only resets the powder measure, it holds the shell plate UP.. If you don't have enought tension the plate can sit low causing the primer to be just a hair high. When you push a piece of brass into the plate, it can drag and flip it sideways. I had the same problem when I first got the press and a buddy showed me to put more tension. You could watch the shell plate lift with each little turn. No more problems.

After that I agree with checking the primer tube nipple(?), slide (for smooth operation and clean/debur if necessary), primer post, cup...

Thanks to all,

I will have to call and get a new primer slide plate, since the teflon has worn off on the back half. The press has about 30,000 rounds of 9mm through it and until now no problems, so I really can't complain....

I will post back when I get it fixed.

Scott

And I like to throw this in these threads:

550 Priming Assembly Adjustment Notes

Thoroughly polish frame, wherever priming slide touches it, with green Scotch Brite. (Approx. every 3000 rounds)

Wipe off Primer Slide with solvent or alcohol. Leave it all dry.

At rest primer slide adjustment: Set so that one primer, dropped down the tube, goes all the way into the Primer Seating Cup, 10 times in a row.

Angle of Primer Slide Operating Rod (13869) - Release rod from rollers and swivel it 180º so it's pointing straight up - it should be parallel with the Primer Housing Shield, or maybe outward "a little"; it should not be "inward" at all.

Be sure both screws (14530) that tighten Roller Bracket Shell Platform (14280) from bottom (to the Shellplate Platform) are tight!

Make sure Priming Seating Punch Assembly is fully bottomed out before tightening screw (13996): Measured from bottom of Primer Slide (13920) to top of seated Primer Seating Cup (13284/5), dimension should be between 2.125 - 2.220 inches.

Be sure Priming Operating Rod Bracket (13887) is adjusted so it's within a few thousands of an inch from the top of frame/Toplhead.

Also check to see that you have the right size tube in there. I forgot and left the large tube in once when I changed to small primers and it spit them every way but right!

Alan~^~

Made the same mistake once. The real problem was the length of time it took me to diagniose the mistake.