Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ghostring Handgun Sights

Blueridge

I was in the local gunshop when a gentleman walked in with his Glock and had them put on some Tritium Ghost Ring Sights. I had seen ghostring sights for rifles and shotguns, but not for handguns. A search of the web and I found the sights for Glocks, but not for any other handguns. Anyone have any experience with them? Are they allowed in USPSA, IDPA, or Steel Challenge?

I did a search on these boards, and could not find a mention of them used on handguns.

You'll have to go look circa the mid 1990s to find Ghost Rings on USPSA pistols. They were all the rage, briefly. They are legal in USPSA and Steel Challenge at least.

a couple of shooters I respect greatly tried them in the 90's when they were all the rage, and they both told me the same thing, great on close up hoser stuff, hard to use on far accuracy shots.

I was in the local gunshop when a gentleman walked in with his Glock and had them put on some Tritium Ghost Ring Sights. I had seen ghostring sights for rifles and shotguns, but not for handguns. A search of the web and I found the sights for Glocks, but not for any other handguns. Anyone have any experience with them? Are they allowed in USPSA, IDPA, or Steel Challenge?

I did a search on these boards, and could not find a mention of them used on handguns.

I'm pretty sure they aren't legal in IDPA. One of the local guys uses them. He confirmed the earlier post. Good on close stuff, but hard to be accurate on long distance shots.

a couple of shooters I respect greatly tried them in the 90's when they were all the rage, and they both told me the same thing, great on close up hoser stuff, hard to use on far accuracy shots.

I figured that might be the case, but I had to ask. How far out would the "far" accuracy shots be that cause the problems? I cannot find the sights for anything but a Glock, and I don't own one of those. :lol:

I tried them when I started out. I even had my smith drill holes for crosshairs (newbie enthusiasm for the latest gadgets, which, of course, all needed further tweaking :rolleyes: ). Switched to Bomars pretty soon. The ghost rings have been sitting in my spare parts box, rusting, for years.

Saw a guy at a local match with them once..... Lets just say I didn't rush out to get me a set. :mellow:

Who had them?

I don't remember his name. It was at my first match in Slaton last year, and that's the only time I've seen him.

Best "ghost ring" I ever used was a unit that looked like a Lyman Globe front sight for rifles. Had a clear plastic insert with two round circles, one small, one larger. Small one just matched the fiber optic front site. Easy and fast. Only shot it once, borrowed gun, for the first USPSA stage I ever shot. I liked it, but one quick stage isn't really a test but I'd shoot it again if I had the chance. Brownells has a Caspian sight for the BoMar and LPA cuts that's available with the round-aperture blade. 168-202-101 for the BoMar cut.

I played with them quite a bit (maybe a century ago) and found them very fast to acquire but extremely poor for calling shots. Full targets out to ten yards or so, no problem. But throw in a partial or some distance and you start dropping points big-time. I think Todd Jarrett played with them for a while also.

Save your money.

Thanks for the info. I am generally the type of person that would take that as a challenge, but the only sights that I can find are for Glocks. I don't have any inclination to get a Glock in the forseeable future, so i am in no danger to be trying the ghost ring sights on any handguns. I will be getting a Remington 870 with XS front and Ghost Ring rear sight in the next 2-4 months though. :wub:

Edited by Blueridge

I had ghost rings on my revolvers for a little while. We made them from the factory rear sight, made a half moon cut in the blade and then JB welded a cut off from a piece of tubing to the half moon cut. They worked but they were really delicate. Had to be careful not to brake them. Still have them in the safe if anyone wants to reinvent the wheel again.

Tom

...there were also gost ring diamond rears...

I remember those! Some aftermarket Bomar clone (Caspian?) with interchangeable rear sight leaves. Fortunately, I'd already burned out on the concept - that, or I was too cheap since I already had Bomar'd up all my match guns.

there were also gost ring diamond rears...

I won a set of those back when, yep they're Caspian's. Still have them in the packaging. Look interesting but I've never got around to putting them on anything. Maybe someday...

I bought a gun that had the Caspian diamond ghost ring- did not like it at all- you cant call your shots. I cut the top half off hoping the large bottom half the of ghost ring would work like a large notch- did not like that at all either- called Caspian and they sold me just the rear blade that had the standard notch and swithed out the blade- now I am happy.