Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon Square Deal B Press

SP2

I use the SDB as well and have for years. Short of the 650 or 1000, it's the only press with auto indexing. Eliminates worries about double charges, squibs, etc. If you don't need an output higher than 400 an hour or so, you can't go wrong.

I am like Spook; great press, great warranty. The only thing I didn't like is the fact that if you are loading 9mm it is a bit hard to feed the empty case if your hands are large, and also hard to place the bullet for the same reason.

same here. Only thing better than a SDB is two! Simple, inexpensive. One STRONG caveat with .40 S&W, though: You cannot buy a replacement sizing die for the SDB that sizes the cases all the way down as you can for all other Dillon presses (I am talking about the EGW-modified Lee sizing die). So...if you are shooting major .40s, you will have to either i) resize all the way down in a separate step using another device, or ii) gauge every single cartridge you make and discard the ones that have become too large near the bottom, or iii) be or know a machinist that can turn the SDB sizing die down for you.

--Detlef

Installed mine this summer in .45ACP. Crank out 400-500 rds a week on the average. Love it. Dillon has a fine reputation for service, I hear, too. For pistol-only loading and reasonably small quantities (a relative term) of ammo, I bought MINE on the recommendation of OTHERS here. Am glad I did. I built a compact but semi-permanent reloading station in a closet in my hallway and it's both convenient and discreet. The auto-indexing is a great safety feature as well. The SDB Works for me! B)

I used one for years... loaded a bazillion rounds of 9mm, 9x21, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP. Be sure to have spare primer slide springs; they break often. Fortunately, nothing else broke more than once.

This is true with any press, but make sure it's stable. Get a Dillon strong mount on a solid bench.

I was a little more apt to load high primer rounds on my SDB. The strong mount helped avoid high primers.

I didn't have a big problem with .40 S&W cases as Detlef mentioned. I bought a lot of prepared (cleaned, deprimed, roll-sized) once-fired brass.

I saw a few protruding primers when I first began to reload, but just make sure the upstroke on the SDB is fully seated and so will be the primers.

I decided against the Strong Mount largely due to economy of space. It takes up considerable space and I didn't have much to begin with. I've got one very sturdy bench arrangement anyway, so nothing moves but the crank and the moving parts doing the work.

Excellent press.

As mentioned above, damn near impossible to double charge do to the auto index.

Turns out great ammo, and fairly quickly once you get the feel for the machine, be very concious of using the full travel of the handle, especially on the up stroke.

The Dillon warranty is , as they say, no BS.

Bought mine used, no problem when I called for parts.

Travis F.

I love my SDB. About 6K rounds since Christmas (ya gotta love a wife that buys you a Dillon for Christmas!) with only a few glitches like broken/weakened primer slide springs which I put off to just wear and tear anyway.

I tend to buy unprepared brass (brassmanbrass, Midway #3, etc). I have an EGW die that everything goes through first on the old single stage. Perfect activity when brain dead (which for me is all too often). Then into the tumbler for a good buffing.

After that I don't have any failures in the case guage (although I only run match ammo through the guage) after just running through the SDB. But then both my .40s have fully supported chambers.

Thanks everyone for replying to my question, you have all convinced me that this is the way to go. Ill make sure I order extra primer slide springs, and Im considering a EGW die on the Lee press. :D:D

Aggie

The SDB has its place. It is just a little bit more to move from the SDB to the 550B to the 650 to the 1050. Pick your poison.

i have had 3 SDB, a 450B, two 550B, and a 1000. all good

Only one I haven't used is the 650 which is a kind of junior 1050.

Square-deal is a great press. Have loaded tens of thousands of .38, .357, .40, .45, .38 Super over the years. When I’m down to one primer slide return spring, I call Dillon and ask them to send me a couple. It is the only thing that breaks or wears out. Other than that, place a case in one, a bullet at three, and pull the handle! I only load for pistol so it is perfect for me. BTW any Dillon press will give you great service for many years. Good luck.