Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder preference?

Hi all, I am almost out of W-231 and need to get some more powder. I like the way the 231 meters in my Dillon 550B. I am using 148 gr DEWC lead bullets and have 500 bullets left to use up. I will be trying 158 gr round nose lead bullets for my 357 revolvers next. We have the dies to start 9mm as soon as my dad gets his pistol, and a friend is going to be buying dies for 45acp for us to load for his Glock. Which powder should I try next? The guy I get the bullets from recommended 700x, I have heard that WST doesn't smoke as much as other powders with lead. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

If you like WW231, keep using it. I use Clays now for .45acp and 38 and it works just fine, but so did 231 when I used it. I shoot shotgun also, and Clays works for that, so I kill two birds with one type of powder. 700X would be just fine also.

I like Solo 1000. Very clean and very consistent.

38 Spl 160gr cast RN, WSP primer, 3.2gr Solo 1000

45 acp 230gr cast RN WLP primer, 4.8gr Solo 1000

But it's way too fast for 357 mag. I had some military surplus powder (WC 820) that I used for 357 and 44 magnum. It loaded like Hodgen H 110. Backdoor politics stopped that. 2400 is clean and consistent. All meter well through powder measures.

W-231, like all the ball powders, meters very consistently. I still use W-231 for several calibers but for jacketed bullets in 9mm I prefer a slower burning powder like WSF. I do use WST and American Select for light loads in 40 S&W and 45 ACP - both are clean burning.

Hi all, I am almost out of W-231 and need to get some more powder. I like the way the 231 meters in my Dillon 550B. I am using 148 gr DEWC lead bullets and have 500 bullets left to use up. I will be trying 158 gr round nose lead bullets for my 357 revolvers next. We have the dies to start 9mm as soon as my dad gets his pistol, and a friend is going to be buying dies for 45acp for us to load for his Glock. Which powder should I try next? The guy I get the bullets from recommended 700x, I have heard that WST doesn't smoke as much as other powders with lead. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

For lead bullets, not full loads, WST is hard to beat. You can find it and it is fairly economical. Lower smoke and lighter recoil are two of WST's advantages. You can use it to load 357 but only medium light loads. Solo 1000 is another very good powder. Do a search on Glocks and lead bullets, you might want to rethink that.

It's made by Accurate, I think it's an old Scot powder.

You won't find pistol data for it other than 45. I have carefully worked loads up in 9/40/45. There is a lot of info over in the 40 reloading section about using it.

A side benefit is that it seems not a lot of people use it, so it is usually available.

It's made by Accurate, I think it's an old Scot powder.

You won't find pistol data for it other than 45. I have carefully worked loads up in 9/40/45. There is a lot of info over in the 40 reloading section about using it.

A side benefit is that it seems not a lot of people use it, so it is usually available.

Ha, great side benefit these days with all of the shortages! Thank you very much. Do you mind sharing your load info for 9/40/45? Thanks

9mm 3.3gr under a 147gr Black Bullets International Bullet 1.135 OAL

40 minor 3.6gr under a Lee 175gr TC 1.135 OAL

40 major 4.5gr under the same bullet

45 4.4gr under a Lee 230gr TC 1.205 OAL (I use a magnum primer for these)

I dont remember the OAL's exactly but I think these are close. Remember to work loads up slowly and with caution.

round nose bullets in a .357 case may hang out the front - check the first one!

231 is good, I also use red dot, clays. Bullseye is the best I've used for wadcutters, but it gets a bunch of soot all over the gun which wipes off easily.

i'm using ramshot silhouette 7.75gr 124gr JHP 9mm montonna gold bullets and shooting about 1350-1370 fps. No probs making major. Sure is loud as all !@#! and the breeze it puts back at you will blow the hat off the RO standing behind ya! :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Any of you using WST for moly bullets in 9mm? Looking for a load for production - to shoot in an XD-9 Tactical.

Thanks!

Mitch

9mm w/125gr JHP ZERO's @ 1.15"OAL using 4.2gr WST yields about 1020fps from my STI.

MJ :cheers: