Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New MacBook + Conference Call + 9mm = Trouble

While terribly embarrassing, I feel the need to share this crazy story.

Huge lesson in making sure that you are focused when doing anything related to guns...

There I was, Wednesday afternoon, just got back from practicing with my Production rig, on a conference call, decided it would be a good time to clean my gun. Whilst driving, I find it comforting to have a loaded weapon in the glove box or under the seat just in case... So, today's lucky gun to have one in the chamber was the 9mm. So, while concentrating 90% on the conference call and 10% on cleaning my gun, it was time to breakdown the gun. I lift the takedown lever and pull the trigger to release the slide and BOOM! I wake everyone up on the conference call and simultaneously empty my bowels and bladder. After a brief pause to determine if I was conscious, I check to see if all my limbs are attached and look for holes. By the grace of God, I had no marks on me. I look at my bench and see my bench vise with a huge mark on it, some JHP shrapnel in the wood top of the bench and then to the right... my new MacBook laptop with a giant bullet hole in the display. I recover from the shock and explain to the guys on the call what just went on and grabbed the camera:

web.jpg

Needless to say, it was a huge wake-up call to make sure that I am 100% focused when dealing with guns and/or ammo. Also, to keep treating it like its loaded at all times. I hear that sometimes they can actually be loaded.

P.S. The guy at the Apple Store Genius Bar didn't think it would be covered under warranty!

norb-yer sounding like merlin now-there's at least $400 in RAM, the airport card and a hard drive in there.

Got me there Butch...and don't forget the SuperDrive. Actually, all I need is the black keyboard. ;) Hold on, my bad...it's not a Pro. All I need is the Super Drive then; if you're parting it out.

Edited by norbs007

Yeah, the Genius Bar had to take pictures and have stories to tell their buddies. Good advice from them was to sell it for parts and buy a new one. The display was $750 to fix!

Keep in mind, you can always plug in an external monitor and use it as a "desktop" You can even do this for a while until that model gets old and you can pick up a replacement or replacement screen cheaper. If it were mine, I'd set it up as a small home server for all my iTunes music and movies to share around the house (I have Mac Mini's attached to my TV's) use it as a backup server, attach some external hard drives to it, etc.

Edited by Chris Martin

Yea. I believe I could get about $800-900 for the parts sold separately. I'm going to try that route first. If not, it would make a great desktop or media center. It's an awesome computer. I wish it were easier to just replace the lcd.