Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

10mm?

Zak Smith

Utility for what? For most forms of pistol competition (excepting pins or silhouettes), the Short and Wimpy has got the mighty ten beat.

One possible reason I can think of to go with the 10mm is the large primer. If you primarily load .45 or .308 or some large primer round on your press, the 10mm might be a good option to avoid changing priming systems.

I thought about building a 10mm when I was going to build my first Limited gun. I'm glad I didn't. Fears about the .40 proved unfounded (no case failure to date, knock on wood) and the brass is hella cheaper.

Other than for hunting, the only time I've heard of the 10mm having any advantage is, for some reason, (and I can't elaborate any further), it seems to run better in a single stack, which are notoriously difficult to make reliable in the 40. This gospel is according to the great Arnt Mhyre...

be

The 10mm had a small but avid following in pin shooting due to greater power for pin loads. And no problems feeding. But the .45 could be pumped up enough, and was so much easier to find brass, magazines, etc for that thge advantage of the 10mm was not worth the hassle.

If I had one (I have several, in fact) I would not hesitate to use it in competition. But as a primary choice, no.

I'm not so sure that I'd discount the option of a 10mm Limited Gun. I'm not a big fan of 40...and the 10 has TONS of loads with a variety of bullet weights in your common everyday reloading manual that go nowhere near the peak of the C.U.P. pressure scale.

Maybe on my new blaster......? <_<

Just an amusing observation...

I've seen a number of posts and articles saying "Nah, not many people will ditch .38 Super and 9x23 for 9mm Major just for the cheaper brass. We're shooting $3000 guns, who cares about a few bucks saved on brass?"

Then as soon as someone suggests shooting 10mm in Limited, everyone says "but the brass is more expensive!"

:rolleyes::lol:

The 10mm does run much better in a singlestack than the .40 at any length. A good gunsmith can MAKE the .40 reliable but he has to get a lot of things perfect. It was several years in the early 90's before Para and STI finally worked the bugs out of the .40 long length and sold the guns.

I shot the 10mm a lot and loved it. However, if you want to reload another caliber with the SMALL primer (38super, the 9mm's) then that's a great reason to NOT load 10mm.

I put 20 loadings and more on the 10mm cases, and shooters would give me back 99% of all the cases I shot at matches. "You're the guy who shoots 10mm, right? Here you go." Guys on other squads even. B)

dvc - eric - a28026

Lots of guys load the 40 with great success.

I'd rather pick a load from a manual, DOWNLOAD it to make major with gunpowders that are easy to find at the local shop and shoot. The 10mm and the 45 acp allow me to do just that wherein the 40 is a bit more particular. Cheap brass isn't an issue, my comfortability with the "safety" factor is an issue.

Call me lazy.... :P

Guest Larry Cazes

Chuck, I agree about the comfort factor with .45 and 10mm versus .40sw. I have witnessed friends have 4 ugly casehead failures with .40sw over the last 18 months and those were in fully supported chambers. I have loaded over 15K rounds of .45acp using range brass some of which has been loaded 20+ times and the worst I've experienced is split necks that were not even apparent until I inspected the cases. I load for both myself and my wife and am much more comfortable with the pressure margin of the .45.

10mm works fine in properly set up .40 sti mags, in my guns anyway. I have a STI .40 widebody and a 10mm widebody comp gun for pins. I use the same mags 100%.

Mr. Sweeney is right on the money for Pins, but I can run my 10mm with 180s at 195 PF a helluva lot faster on single fastest table and 10Pin than I can in .45, but then again it might be in my head ;) Doug