Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New CMMG Mag review

Alaskapopo

I shot it today. It functioned flawless in both AR's I tried it in. I think its a real value compared to the Nordic P Mag coupler or the Lancer 47 round mag. It holds 42 and cost 30 bucks. I just got one for testing but I am going to order 4 more.

Pat

http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/index.php?cat=38&

http://ar15chatterbox.21.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=114

CMMG42roundmag.jpg

Some other mags I have tried and like. 48 round lancer, 47 round Nordic PMag, 35 round Bulgarian mags. highcapmags.jpg

pat

I picked some up also but came up with different feelings and results. Maybe the one I tested is a bad one and I still plan to check the others I bought. Here's my review.

Review on AR15.com

Not a bad review but not once do you mention how they worked. Just criticism on how they look and felt. I tested them and they worked great. I have ordered 4 more since.

Pat

I picked some up also but came up with different feelings and results. Maybe the one I tested is a bad one and I still plan to check the others I bought. Here's my review.

Review on AR15.com

Not a bad review but not once do you mention how they worked. Just criticism on how they look and felt. I tested them and they worked great. I have ordered 4 more since.

Pat

I guess you're like me and don't like reading an entire thread. Further down, I updated it with a test and has some issues. Did the finish rub off on yours? Was it hard to load the entire 42? I'm wondering if I have a bad one.

Edited by ERIC

Review on AR15.com

Pat

I guess you're like me and don't like reading an entire thread. Further down, I updated it with a test and has some issues. Did the finish rub off on yours? Was it hard to load the entire 42? I'm wondering if I have a bad one.

I use a lulu to load so it was not hard. Although if you put to many in it will crush the last round like it did yours. I had not noticed the finish issue. I will have to check again.

Pat

• 2 weeks later...

I used my new CMMG 42rd. mag at Ky. 3gun match yesterday, and it ran like a champ. The body is steel, and the finish is rubbing off. It appears to be a low grade phospate. As the finish wears inside the tube, the follower works smoother, and reliability goes up. For $29, I definitely recommend them. You'll just want to keep an eye on rust. No big deal, I've had FAL and M1A mags, and treat them the same.

Different opinion to follow: <_<

Watched one of the new CMMG 42 rounders fail miserably yesterday on two different stages at local 3-gun. I'll stick with Pmags, thank you.

I like P Mags as well and I have the Nordic P mag extension as well. However these are a lot more affordable and I have had no issues with them. What issue did you see at the match. Fail to feed? Wha twas the ammo? How can you be sure it was a magazine malfunction? More information is needed.

Pat

Watched one of the new CMMG 42 rounders fail miserably yesterday on two different stages at local 3-gun. I'll stick with Pmags, thank you.

I like P Mags as well and I have the Nordic P mag extension as well. However these are a lot more affordable and I have had no issues with them. What issue did you see at the match. Fail to feed? Wha twas the ammo? How can you be sure it was a magazine malfunction? More information is needed.

Pat

Fail to feed, using LC '07, same gun worked with Pmags and the same ammo. Any other questions? <_<

I'm having the exact same issue with a Pmag/Nordic combo. Crapped on me at Benning on the rifle stage with the grenade launcher. We each have to find gear that works for us, no alibis on the clock.

Pat

Fail to feed, using LC '07, same gun worked with Pmags and the same ammo. Any other questions? <_<

Yes actually just one more question. Multiple failures to feed or one? So far I have ordered 4 and have not had a problem nor have my firends. Perhaps the mag you saw was bad. I have seen failed P Mags as well. 2 that cracked in -40 below weather. But I still use P mags. I am not saying these mags are better than P Mags. But they do represent a good value in the over 30 round capacity mags. Again anything can fail. If I would have dumped all my Pmags because those two failed it would have been a poor decision.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

Multiple failures, same mag. Started the same shooter over 3 times. First two with the CMMG mag, once topped off, once down loaded a few rounds. Last time with a Pmag and it ran fine.

That sucks. Its funny just hosted a three gun shoot today and a dark earth Pmag split right under the right feed lip. Although my 47 round Nordic Pmag ran great and saved me having to reload. My buddy ran a 48 round lancer and was also pleased. I got 3rd place overall out of 17 shooters. I was happy. A good time was had by all.

pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

• 2 weeks later...

I tried one out this week too, first thing I noticed was the ammo length at 2.250 was difficult to load normally

the bullet tips kept hanging up on the front of the mag, but would just barely fit.

It was very tight getting the 42rd in the mag and would not strip out the first round when in the rifle

and once I down loaded to 41 the mag ran with zero problems.

and I did check to see if the finish was coming off, but I could not find any problems .

I think for me it would be great at using for a mono pod .

Seems like a well built product for a reasonable price.

Craig

I was really interested in this mag for the extra height to mono pod off. I ordered two and both turn my rifle into a single shot until I'm in the low 30 round count. The height is just what I wanted but the reliability has a lot to desire. I'll try to polish one up and see if that helps.

I was really interested in this mag for the extra height to mono pod off. I ordered two and both turn my rifle into a single shot until I'm in the low 30 round count. The height is just what I wanted but the reliability has a lot to desire. I'll try to polish one up and see if that helps.

Well the CMMG follower and spring turned my 40 round USA mags into 100% reliable mags, so I think the precedent is there...

I say 2 of those clamped togeather mags break on different stages at the FNH 3 gun, so I will pass on those. Both failures were due to abuse, but isn't that what we do in this sport? So, I think 1 piece mags are the hot ticket for me...

I will be buying some of these..

Edited by barrysuperhawk

I don't doubt your account at all. AND, things are supposed to just "work" right out of the box. Further, not having been there, I dunno what caused your shooter's malfs. PMag apparently "curred" the issue.

BUT - if anyone out there buys one of these CMMG mags, you might consider the following to make these work for you:

-OP mentioned

1) the follower moved roughly in the tube at first & later smoothed out with use.

2) the parkerizing on these rubs off and doesn't appear to be high quality

I have parkerized many of my guns & parts at home. Parkerizing produces a rough initial finish (also depends on the metal prep - which can be blasting with glassbeads, sand or other media).

You might consider giving the insides of these mags a very thorough brushing with solvent, followed by oil, and then manually depressing the follower a few dozen times with a paint stirring stick & then thorough de-grease. Thereafter, I like to treat my 3gun mags with silicon spray. YMMV.

Multiple failures, same mag. Started the same shooter over 3 times. First two with the CMMG mag, once topped off, once down loaded a few rounds. Last time with a Pmag and it ran fine.

• 7 months later...