Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pricing on the new 627 38 supers

Rogan

Well, I went through the whole minor phase, first in Revo division (where there is no capacity advantage, just a milder recoil impluse)--and then again in Single Stack division (which gave me 2 more rounds per mag).

Been there, done that. Bottom line--for USPSA shooting in any division including Single Stack, if you don't suffer from any serious infirmity that makes it painful to shoot full loads, major is always the way to go.

When you fully explore the nuances of the USPSA scoring system, you can't avoid the fact that the (theoretically) slightly faster times you might shoot because of the milder minor loads are just not enough to offset the points penalty created by being scored minor.

I occasionally shoot my 646 with minor loads just for a change of pace, or to deliberately place a slight handicap on myself for whatever reason. But I don't kid myself into thinking minor is a serious option for serious matches.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

let it be known to the auto guys that trying to use the same brass in your revolver and autos will make for some tough reloads. once brass has been fired in an auto it will not easily fit into a 38 super revolver cylinder. just want to forewarn people that think its going to drop right in. also you can only fire 6 shots before reloads in USPSA rules for revolver, fire 7 and you are in the open division. i learned all this stuff after the fact with the super

Scott

Found the solution to the sizing problem. EGW sizing dies in 38 super. They are .001 undersize. When the brass springs back it is right at specs. No problem including the webbing.

I've read all the posts, but I'm a bit confused. It sounds like these 627's in 38 super will also shoot 9mm with the same moon clips? Can someone please confirm this?????

If they really will shoot 9mm without any modification then I want one!

-Cuz.

I have the 4" 38 super. The TKW moon clips work just fine with 9mm. The S&W are too tight.

I use the S&W moonclips on the 38 super Starline brass that has a slightly deeper extraction groove. On most 38 super brass the TKW's fit better. FYI, I have a 9x23 cylinder for it and the TKW clips are used on those.

For those of you who asked about pricing for the 627s, here is one option. A local store here in AZ is offering the revos at

$1290.00, not including Arizona sales tax of 7.8%(only for in-state sales). If your out of state, you pay shipping from AZ.

Guns etc

Ron Sega

480-963-4311

Ron is asking for a $100.00 deposit and he pre-ordered a dozen guns.

Picked mine up today in Mississippi for 1299.00 plus tax. Be advised that the guns are shipping without the plain nosepiece to substitute for the comp nosepiece - so you better want to shot open if you buy one...... I don't and have been unsuccesful at getting a plain nosepiece for the revolver... I have been told the PC boys and girls are saying they are not an available part.... Any suggestions?

I have one of these coming from Carmoney with his competion package and Cliff's secret gun lube :closedeyes:

I emailed S&W about the non comp end cap.

I received a responce saying "248670000, PC EA muzzle cap, 38 Super. It should come with it."

Mike assures me it didn't come with it.

I guess I will need to call S&W. Anyone have a good POC at S&W?

Dave

Cliff's secret gun lube :closedeyes:

Eeeeeeww!! (There's never a moderator around when you need one.)

Sorry, I had the dry heaves :sick:

-ld

I suspect Mike uses this so no one (and I mean no one!) will ever pull the sideplate and learn his tuning secrets! :roflol:

Dave

Re: end cap

Call S&W customer service. Ask for Jeff if he doesn't answer. He's on from mid or late afternoon to evening. Good guy and he's also a competitive pistol shooter. He shoots revos too.

Alan

-ld

I suspect Mike uses this so no one (and I mean no one!) will ever pull the sideplate and learn his tuning secrets! :roflol:

Dave

I called and left him a message today. I received his contact info from a few different directions.

Thanks,

Dave

Re: end cap

Call S&W customer service. Ask for Jeff if he doesn't answer. He's on from mid or late afternoon to evening. Good guy and he's also a competitive pistol shooter. He shoots revos too.

Alan

-ld

Dave