Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DQ

Attila

I went to shoot single stack today at my local Club. Severe weather had come through on friday and tore up the area, but the range was OK. I did not get word that the match was cancelled along with a group of shooters that had come over from the next state. They had already decided to hold an un-official practice match with the approval of a local club officer and using the available equipment. They kindly let me join them.

On our second stage, I had loaded the pistol using the barney mag and in the process of switching mags trying to top off before starting, I knocked my own gun out of my hand. My pistol, with a round in the chamber and safty on, landed on the gravel pointing back at the gallery of other shooters. Thank God it did not go off.

I instantly understood what I had done and it's seriousness. I stepped back and let the RO pick up and clear the pistol. I fully expected to be asked to leave. I guess because it was not an OFFICIAL match, they let me continue. I tried to get my head back on straight after that, but it bothered me mentally. Now evan more so. I cant imagine what I would have done if had gone off and hurt someone due to my negligence.

Lesson learned: Always be sure of what you are doing when handling firearms. I know, it's basic. I had alway prided myself on never having dropped a weapon, going back 24 years to when I joined the Army. I dont recall having a mental lapse, in fact every time I top off, I always think how awkward I am doing so and try to pay attention. From now on I will be even more sure about what I am doing and only handle I mag at a time.

You are right to be upset... nobody got hurt, so you need to learn from it and put it behind you.

Just because "they" let you continue doesn't mean you have to or should. You don't want to get back in there with your head screwed on wrong. I think I would have just pasted the rest of the match.

WE just had a guy drop one today too, but it was not loaded... he went to pick it up and I stopped him from retrieving it. We both stood over it until the shooter was scored and then called the RO over. He cleared it and put it in the guy's holster.

You obviously have not taken the event lightly which lets me know you will learn from it.

I'll shoot with you anytime...

Jim

Edited by JThompson

Yep, scary situation. BTW, the RO told me that when he picked up your gun, the safety was OFF. Based on what you said above, I guess it got knocked off when it hit the ground. ....This really maxed out my scary-meter, especially, since I was one of the guys on the receiving end of that muzzle.

Yep, scary situation. BTW, the RO told me that when he picked up your gun, the safety was OFF. Based on what you said above, I guess it got knocked off when it hit the ground. ....This really maxed out my scary-meter, especially, since I was one of the guys on the receiving end of that muzzle.

:surprise:

You're not alone.

My first year, I did a seated start and the loaded gun snagged on the chair as I got up, spilled out of the holster before I could get my hand on it. It fell muzzle uprange and the safety snapped off.

Scary, though at the time I was so green, while I knew it was bad, I didn't appreciate just how bad it really was. The DQ I got was entirely in order.

• 5 weeks later...

Learn from it.

That is all that can be asked.

If one doesn't learn from the experience then they have no business experiencing it.

Learn from it. Promise yourself it will never happen again.

And thanks for sharing. Blatant honesty is proof you won't post the same experience again.

Jack

Edited by j1b

• 1 month later...

yeah I had a gun pop out of my holster from a chair start and I was the RO of my squad. Thank god it didn't go off (it was a Glock) not that it matters. I did have somebody say in the squad that if that HAD to happen, they were glad it was a Glock!!!

really messes with your hear pretty bad though.

that's one reason it is NOT a good idea to disable the Grip safety

You're not alone.

My first year, I did a seated start and the loaded gun snagged on the chair as I got up, spilled out of the holster before I could get my hand on it. It fell muzzle uprange and the safety snapped off.

Scary, though at the time I was so green, while I knew it was bad, I didn't appreciate just how bad it really was. The DQ I got was entirely in order.

I try to stay away from COF that have the shooter seated with the handgun loaded and holstered because of what happened to you. Some of those race holsters are a little scary when the shooter is seated.