Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Worth bringing my gun to San Fransisco?

There's a Monday night shoot in Santa Clara - PPC style:

http://www.ashcavai.com/mnsl/index.html

And there's the Open Match the first weekend at Richmond already mentioned above, but that'd be late for you, unless you stayed over.

Bring 10 rounders. The locals won't know/care, but you don't want to have to deal with it if the law looks in.

I'm not a local to that part of California so I should keep my opinion to myself, but personally, unless you have some overriding reason that I cannot fathom to bring it into that town, I'd leave it out of state. If it's just to shoot a local match to pass some time... go to the movies instead. Just my $.02.

I'm not a local to that part of California so I should keep my opinion to myself, but personally, unless you have some overriding reason that I cannot fathom to bring it into that town, I'd leave it out of state. If it's just to shoot a local match to pass some time... go to the movies instead. Just my $.02.

Well. Thanks for that uninformed opinion. There are some excellent local clubs and matches here in the bay area. As to nights during the week, the Monday Night Shooting League mentioned by Kevin, which includes PPC and TYRO in Santa Clara is the only one I know of. If your plans change and you end up staying over the weekend, I am sure we can hook you up with a USPSA match.

Well. Thanks for that uninformed opinion. There are some excellent local clubs and matches here in the bay area. As to nights during the week, the Monday Night Shooting League mentioned by Kevin, which includes PPC and TYRO in Santa Clara is the only one I know of. If your plans change and you end up staying over the weekend, I am sure we can hook you up with a USPSA match.

I'm not going to get into a flaming war here so this will be my last post on this subject (again, this is my opinion and folks can take it or leave it), but if I were an out of stater, I wouldn't risk my firearm bringing it into what is probably the most anti-gun city in America, ESPECIALLY if the only mags he owns are 15+. Santa Clara is not San Francisco. If he's actually staying in, say, San Jose and wants to drive to Santa Clara for the match, then I wouldn't sweat it too much. But that's not the question he asked. If that gun and magazines have to cross any of the bridges into San Francisco proper (which is what the original question stated) then you're going into unfriendly territory, and an explanation of "I'm sorry officer, but I didn't know" may not cut it the way it would elsewhere in the state. Yes, there are folks such as Larry Crazes who are putting up the good fight, but that is the duty/burden of us Californians, and we don't need to be dragging folks from the "free states" into our fight. Yes, chances are virtually nill that High Lord Gomer would get searched (assuming he doesn't come through any airports, and he doesn't do something stupid) but if it does happen, that's not the town he'll want to be in if it occurs.

OK. As Kevin and others have already mentioned, understand and comply with ALL local laws. Contact the CA DOJ and local law enforcement if you dont already know them. If you are willing to do that, which you should do in ANY state you enter with a firearm, PM me and I can direct you to the local clubs.

IF you follow the laws AND take reasonable care AND are driving into the state, then I firmly believe you will have no troubles. Thousands of us live here AND compete in our chosen sport week in and week out with no problems whatsoever.

1. Drive safe and sane and you will not have any hassles.

2. Keep your gear in a legal manner while in car (pistol and ammo locked in separate sections of the car, or in separate locked boxes) and keep mags un-loaded

3. Keep your gear out of sight and locked down when not at a range.

The folks at the Richmond Hotshots and in Santa Clara at the Monday Night Shooting League will welcome you and take good care of ya'. PM Kevin, Larry or myself for any additional help and remember to always "ignore alien orders" LOL

Regards,