Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"Slam Charging" your M&P 9mm

Tokarev

I have a new M&P Pro that I've been playing with. So far I'm really liking it but I've found it does have one annoying feature (or design flaw depending on your point of view).

Now, by "slam charge" I mean getting the slide to drop by forcefully inserting a loaded mag. The gun actually does this without a whole lot of force and I can get the slide to drop with a firm push of the mag into the gun.

Normally this wouldn't be a big deal but I notice that I'll get a nose dive jam when the magazines are loaded with only ten rounds. If I load them up to 17, the slide will drop and chamber a round without problems.

Does anybody else's Pro do this? Is there a way to cure it other than to gingerly seat the mag?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello: You can open up the feedlips on the mags or radius the slide at the bottom of the breach face where it makes a 90 degree angle. I did this to my CZ shadow and it will feed with only 10 rounds. I would try the feedlips first. Thanks, Eric

I've seen a Pro go to battery when a mag was seated, but without stripping a round. The shooter got 'click'.
I'll second that. My PRO will strip sometimes and not strip other times. If mine goes forward when I don't want it too I ALWAYS check to see if it loaded. But I have found I don't usually reload with the slide to the rear in competition anyway. I reload before I get to that point.

P.S There are threads around already on the subject.

I've seen a Pro go to battery when a mag was seated, but without stripping a round. The shooter got 'click'.
I'll second that. My PRO will strip sometimes and not strip other times. If mine goes forward when I don't want it too I ALWAYS check to see if it loaded. But I have found I don't usually reload with the slide to the rear in competition anyway. I reload before I get to that point.

P.S There are threads around already on the subject.

I always try to reload before it gets to an emergency but sometimes "shizznit" happens.

Also, got a link or two to the previous threads? I did a search but didn't find anything about this issue.

Andrew,

I have 2 pro's and a few regular full size M&P's. None of mine will do this. Now truth be told, I don't slam closing on Glocks or any other guns that others can get to do them to. I must not seat the mags with enough force? I have always had the habit of using my left hand thumb to hit the slide lock and it has never let me down.

I have 2 Pro's and they both will close from slide lock when seating a mag with 10 rounds and have never failed to chamber a round, but I do seat magazines kinda firm :ph34r: .

To give you an idea how firm I sometimes seat mags, with a 13lb recoil spring I was having the slide coming out of battery during a slide closed type reload due to the inertia of seating the mag and pushing the gun back out. I fixed it by going to a reduced power striker spring. While testing the fix I found that when the mags get down to 5 rounds or less it is possible to seat them firm enough to dislodge the floor plate and have the base pad come off :roflol: .

All of my M&Ps (not Pros, though) will close when I slam the mag hard enough. They've always grabbed a round and properly chambered, even when only having 10.

My PRO will do it occasionally, but always takes a round with it. Always.

PS... My old GLOCK 23C did this all the time. The habit is not limited to M&Ps...

JW

All of my M&Ps (not Pros, though) will close when I slam the mag hard enough. They've always grabbed a round and properly chambered, even when only having 10.

PS... My old GLOCK 23C did this all the time. The habit is not limited to M&Ps...

JW

Agreed. My STI GP6 does it without fail. As we are limited to 10 rounds, I regularly wind up running to slide lock and count on this feature to speed my reload time.

JW

Agreed. The 92/96 Beretta and the HK USP and P2000 will also slam charge. But, when I do it with these guns, they'll feed and chamber properly.

Sounds like kind of a 50/50 deal with the M&P...

My Pro used to do this. In my case I think it had to do with too much lube keeping the slide from getting all the way back. Alot less lube and nearly 1000 rounds later it works perfectly. By that I mean it will "slam charge" if I slam in a magazine. It always chambers the first round.

"It's not a bug, it's a feature."

Roy

I just got off the phone with Smith and Wesson. Of course the guy I talked to says he hasn't heard of this problem before today.

Anyway, Smith is sending me a call tag and they'll get it in and get it looked at. I assume that if enough people call and report this, they will take corrective action. Maybe all it would take is a "+P" spring on the slide catch.

Edited by Tokarev

Right...it's a feature. A BAD one.....

Why? I like that mine chambers a round for me every time I slam a mag in. It won't if I do it gently, but if I seat it like I mean it, it works consistently.

If it wasn't properly chambering a round, then it would be a problem, but if it's consistent and safe (not too easy), then why is it bad?

I don't think I would send my gun back because of this!

I think the only thing I see BAD about this "feature" is relying on it in a match or emergency. I think if you like to run your gun to slidelock and can reload faster EVERY TIME then I would most definitely use it. Good luck and make sure to come back and let us know the first time the "feature" lets you down. <_<

I don't think I would send my gun back because of this!

I think the only thing I see BAD about this "feature" is relying on it in a match or emergency. I think if you like to run your gun to slidelock and can reload faster EVERY TIME then I would most definitely use it. Good luck and make sure to come back and let us know the first time the "feature" lets you down. <_<

That's the problem. It would be a good feature if it would chamber a round consistently. I'll get one of four things when I insert a new mag with the slide locked back.

1: A round chambers and all is fine

2: The slide will run forward on an empty chamber

3: The top round in the magazine will nosedive and fail to feed

4: The slide stays locked to the rear and I have to manually release it (my preferred method)

I haven't been able to predict which of the four I'm going to get. Also, I'm not a "brute force" kind of guy and don't seat my mags as hard as I can. I'm not deliberately trying to force the slide stop to release.

Right...it's a feature. A BAD one.....

Why? I like that mine chambers a round for me every time I slam a mag in. It won't if I do it gently, but if I seat it like I mean it, it works consistently.

If it wasn't properly chambering a round, then it would be a problem, but if it's consistent and safe (not too easy), then why is it bad?

Because it isn't consistent. Again today I shot an IDPA match and seated the mag pretty hard but the slide didn't release.

The gun must work the same way every single time.

Hello: Another thing that Stuart helped me with on the CZ was that the slide stop was just touching the rounds and causing the slide to close without picking up the round. I shortened the slide stop 0.020" and it works pefectly now with the slide mod as I stated above. I know yours is not a CZ but the same things may apply to it. Half the fun is solving the problem :cheers: Thanks, Eric

My fs M&P had the opposite problem. Even after shooting a few thousand rounds through it, I couldn't release the slide with the slide release (with a reasonable amount of force). To fix this, I stoned the surface of the slide where the slide catch hits. I imagine if you "rough up" the portion of the slide where the slide release catches then it will reduce "slam charges."

Here is a dumb question.

I just got done ROing at the PSA Shootout and saw a ton of shooters, with varying degrees of experience, From GMs to newbies. I was glad to see them all..... :cheers:

Most if not all that shot production guns seemed to try and slam the mags in on reloads as hard as they could, almost violently at times.

I saw Sigs, Berettas, MPs, Glocks, CZs, and HKs all slam charged and I have to wonder why the shooters are slamming the mags in that hard in the first place.

I guess my question is: Is this just a technique thing, ie. shooters slamming mags in hard under stress thinking that it is faster versus just inserting the mag and slapping down the slide release. I know the gun is set up to be easy to use under stress with gross motor movements. I have a 4in MP and a MP9L, and have not done a reload in which the slide slammed forward. I also dont jam mags into the gun that hard on reloads.

Again, I am not trying to ruffle any feathers here, but learn something as I teach and instruct with these guns....

Thanks much,

DougC

Edited by DougCarden