Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Visited My First Match Today

doc540

IDPA local, Beaumont, TX

Mixed genders, ages, backgrounds, skill levels.

REALLY enjoyed just being a fly on the wall and totally observing.

Of course, there was only one competitive wheel gun amidst about 20 shooters, (and he was competitive), so I'd have to invest in another gun in order to join the fun. None of my half dozen SD snubs would've been appropriate or competitive.

I do have a question, though:

When an exercise requires 11 consecutive shots before a reload, how could a 6 shot, wheelgun be competitive? It seemed like the some of the exercises favored semi's by the nature of their design.

Props to the good friend who invited me and gave me a ride to the range.

I may not be infected with the fever, but I was dangerously exposed to it today. ;)

IDPA local, Beaumont, TX

Mixed genders, ages, backgrounds, skill levels.

REALLY enjoyed just being a fly on the wall and totally observing.

Of course, there was only one competitive wheel gun amidst about 20 shooters, (and he was competitive), so I'd have to invest in another gun in order to join the fun. None of my half dozen SD snubs would've been appropriate or competitive.

I do have a question, though:

When an exercise requires 11 consecutive shots before a reload, how could a 6 shot, wheelgun be competitive? It seemed like the some of the exercises favored semi's by the nature of their design.

Props to the good friend who invited me and gave me a ride to the range.

I may not be infected with the fever, but I was dangerously exposed to it today. ;)

Revolvers are regularly ignored by the guys setting up the courses, because none of them shoot revolvers.

I'm frequently guilty of this, because we only have one wheelgunner. He shows up about twice a month, and only shoots revolver 1/3 of the time. So we'll set up four stages, and BAM! He shows up, and things get... Interesting.

No IDPA stage REQUIRES 11 shots before the reload. They're just designed, er, in favor of it. A quick read of the rulebook will show you what's expected. In his case, we learned really quickly to stop doing things like setting up 4 targets shot on the move to the next point of cover. Simply moving a target out of that position, and putting it elsewhere, fixed things for the wheelgunner.

Just show up to have a good time, once you've gotten the required number of speedloader holders, and ask the stage designer (almost always the guy doing the walkthrough) "how do you want me to shoot this with a six round gun?". He'll learn after an evening's worth of pestering, that he's got to take you into consideration, or else risked getting bugged to death. :D

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Revolvers are in a different division from the bottom feeders, so you are only competing against other equivalent firearms. Just go out and enjoy shooting 6 shots at a time, and comparing yourself to other revolver shooters.

I don't shoot IDPA, but I do shoot USPSA in Limited 10 division.We run into the same situations when setting up stages. Sometimes we look at them and say "well, this isn't revolver friendly" or "this isn't L10/production friendly". Most of us that shoot reduced capacity guns (in the club that I belong too, anyway) don't worry about stages being "friendly" to our specific type of gun. If you only shoot stages where your reloads are made at the optimum place, you will be at a severe disadvantage at the Major matches. By learning to overcome these obstacles (either through strategy, round counting, breaking up arrays, not spaying and praying, etc.), you will become a better shooter. Don't get me wrong, it would be fun to shoot some stages with something that is belt-fed :roflol: . Most of the time though, I enjoy the extra thought required to compete with reduced capacity guns.

Bring out your gun and shoot with those guys, I'll bet that IDPA is every bit as addictive as USPSA is :cheers:

Hurley

Since I only own handguns for home/personal defense and my short-term budget is focused on that area of shooting, I don't really have what appears to me to be the "right" equipment to join in the local IDPA fun I watched last weekend.

Is it the Walter Mitty in me that keeps playing a mental tape of me engaging the stages with the trusty little snub with which I actually trust my life on a daily basis?

Or are these matches really designed for something other than practical self defense shooting?

I'm kinda conflicted here.

Anyone understand?

Part of me is saying, "Pluck'em if they can't take a joke. Go run what'cha brung and have some fun!"

Then from the other shoulder a voice is whispering, "You don't dare show up at an autocross with a Buick wagon". B)

Run the snub! As long as you have a safe holster and can reload in a reasonable period of time with speedloaders and/or speed-strips shoot and have fun. Will you win, probably not. So what? Enjoy the day with like minded folks. If the bug bites, upgrade to a 'competition gun' if that is what you want to do.

Eric

Regarding whether pistol matches represent anything in the real world, I don't believe any discipline has any direct value towards defense. It's a race. Be the fastest, powerfullest (made-up word), and accuratest (again, made-up) and you win the game.

I've gained tremendous awareness of how firearms function by shooting competition as well as confidence in gun handling skills, but for me those are indirectly related to defense. Shooting sports are a game, don't let any rulebook prefaces fool you.

Pete, a smith for Clark Custom regularly shoots our IDPA matches with a 5 shot snubby.

He also uses FULL power loads. I respect him for not conforming.\

Great practice also.

Doc, I'm pretty sure I've seen you post some pictures of a neat 6 shot Detective Special. :cheers:

That's your IDPA revolver. ;) Get at least 4 Safariland speedloaders and have fun. Many IDPA stages are very 6 shot friendly.

I have some really neat trophies I've won with the 3 inch M-10 in my avatar. B)

Shooting sports are great for improving gun handling skills. Also IDPA gets you in the mindset of using cover to your benefit. The way that these things help with self defense are that they build your confidence in those areas, thus leaving you to be able to concentrate on other issues.

In a situation that requires you to use your firearm in self defense, you will automatically fall back on the skills that you have honed in practice, training, and the shooting sports that you participate in. This will leave your conscious mind free to handle the issues that occur in self defense that cannot easily/really be practiced.

Shooting sports DO help with self defense, because thay give you the opportunity to shoot under the pressure of time. Thus we find out how we react when it is not just sending rounds downrange at our leisure. You can never be prepared for every possible self-defense situation that could arise, but you can hone the skills you have as best you can.

I shoot a Ruger Alaskan (.454/.45) loaded with .45 Colt in both IDPA and USPSA competitions. It is not the "best" revolver that I could use, but it is the primary revolver that I have around me the most. I say bring what you have and if you later want to get another revolver go for it. I have used my Alaskan solely since I decided to shoot revolver in IDPA and USPSA about 3 years ago. I own a S&W 625 in .45 ACP (which I have seen as a very popular revolver for both shooting sports), but I prefer the Ruger Alaskan.

I have to disagree in part with "pickles"...Competition is what you make of it! If you carry a 5 shot snub all/most of the time attack a stage as if it is real life. Go thru as if your life depended on it. I have seen many shooters do this. They didn't win but they had a better idea of what to expect (under time pressure, in part) in real life. Better this than nothing. Another suggestion would be to, get involved, put on a "BUG" stage. Watch the shooters go thru it and you will be suprised that most of the good shooters are also good at "BUG" stages.

JMHO

Richard