Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glocked Brass question

Ray_Z

I've read all that I could find about the way the unsupported chamber on a Glock screws up the base of the brass on a 9mm and a 40 s&w. You can buy a piece of equipment that costs over $600 to roll the base back to specs. Or using a u die or a small base Lee die to iron out the base. All seem to work to an extent. I read that sometimes the roll method causes the case metal to thin out at the top of the base of the case causing a case head separation on firing. And sometimes the u die and small base die doesn't work as well as you want it to. Besides, you have to special order it.

My thoughts run a little more simple. I was thinking that since both 9mm and 40 s&w are rimless cases why couldn't you just make a mandrel that is a bit smaller in diameter than the case size and the bottom similar to the one on a shell holder. After putting it in your rockchucker as you would a shell holder and then push your oversized brass through your resize die, after removing the decapping section.

OK, assuming that is possible, would it be smart to run the brass through the size die base first? I'm thinking that the brass would thin out less. at the top of the base, and there would be less chance of closing up the extractor groove.

Am I all wet?

I just use the Lee "U" die for 40. And other than Major Matches, I NEVER case gauge my ammo. Never had a jam. It just works that good.

However in the press, you're right - it does require a little more finesse to keep from crunching brass. I have to be more careful when pulling the handle, and yet I still get 1-2 pieces per hundred crunched.

You live and learn I guess. :)

RCBS already makes a die like you mentioned for the Rockchucker (in .40 only for now). It's reviewed in the latest Front Sight. What it's called escapes me at the moment. It allows you to push a case entirely through the die, resizing it the whole length.

I took a Dillon 9mm die and removed all the material that was beyond the carbide part of the sizing die. Once I got it so it would bottom out on the shell plate part of my 550 works like a charm. I barrel gauge all my ammo. In the last couple of months probably have 5K thru 2 different G34. I use once fired and range pick ups. I think Ive had 2 that truly would drop in.

I just got the Redding GR-X die. I saved the ammo that didn't fit my guage, and ran them through the Redding (they say don't size loaded ammo......I can't read :P ) The stuff that was badly bulged then fit the guage, and was used at the West Point match.

It's far less expensive than a roll sizer, you don't have to do every case, and it works.

Ray,

I purchased a Redding press and GR-X die mentioned above for eliminating the "Glock Bulge" and it works just as you described by pushing the bulge out as the brass goes all the way through the sizing die.

Strongly recommend the GR-X! Now if I can just find a die that I can fit into to remove my bulge.

:D

I'm not sure it would work for 9mm since it's a tapered case. R,

I don't see why it wouldn't, it's only resizing the base of the case, disregarding the rest.

So you rely on a normal sizing die afterwards to get the rest of the case??? R,

I don't see why it wouldn't, it's only resizing the base of the case, disregarding the rest.

This is from the Redding website:

"Redding Reloading Equipment responded by designing a unique push through die, which fully

resizes the bulged area of the fired case back to within the accepted SAAMI specifications for case diameter.

The case may then be resized in a standard sizing die for the remaining reloading process."

I would think that you could use this die after normal sizing as well.

Very few shooters at our club are shooting the Glock in 40. I have a couple of hundred 40 cases that need the base sized. But I have about 3000 9mm cases that need work. Does anyone know if and when Redding is going to make these dies in 9mm? Hey!, wait a minute. Redding stole my idea before I had it.

This is from the Redding website:

"Redding Reloading Equipment responded by designing a unique push through die, which fully

resizes the bulged area of the fired case back to within the accepted SAAMI specifications for case diameter.

The case may then be resized in a standard sizing die for the remaining reloading process."

I would think that you could use this die after normal sizing as well.

Got it...makes sense. R,

Bart, as of now, Redding is not making anything other than the .40 GR-X die. For a 9 MM, I'd almost look for a pistol cartridge that's close to the base size of the 9. Then modify a standard sizing die to become a push through set up. Then, only use the push through for ammo that fails.

I hope this helps :D

Ray,

I run Lee's 4 die set (which includes the FCD for the last station). I use them in 40 and in 9.

Most of the ammo that I produce passes the case gauge. What little that doesn't gets put into the practice ammo pile.

Take the LEE Factory crimp die and cut it off with a saw where the thread stops inside add an old icream bucket and you have the redding grs or whatever they call it die cost 14.00 thats what I did--mine looks like they stole my IDEA--saw ir on BE forum just improved on it,,works but not easy :roflol:

I do my 40 cal reloading with 100% Glocked cases that come straight from a local police range, and I never had to consider any additional step in the process other than using the Lee dies set with the Lee Factory Crimp die at the end of the reloading (Dillon 650). I am using these cases for about 2 years now and I never had a single hiccup with my STI Limited or CZ TS.

If you want DIY solution, check this out:

I do my 40 cal reloading with 100% Glocked cases that come straight from a local police range, and I never had to consider any additional step in the process other than using the Lee dies set with the Lee Factory Crimp die at the end of the reloading (Dillon 650). I am using these cases for about 2 years now and I never had a single hiccup with my STI Limited or CZ TS.

Here is the way I see it.

1) A std resizing die sometimes will not resize the case properly as the "buldge" may be low on the case.

2) The U-Die does a better job and makes the brass tighter except at the bottom of the case.

3) Factory crimp die does size all the way down either

This die sizes the entire case!!

Here is the way I see it.

1) A std resizing die sometimes will not resize the case properly as the "buldge" may be low on the case.

2) The U-Die does a better job and makes the brass tighter except at the bottom of the case.

3) Factory crimp die does size all the way down either

This die sizes the entire case!!

In my experience (which does not cover everything about Glocked cases), the Lee standard resizing is enough.

I do not use the U-die, and I do have restrictions in doing so. In my opinion the U-size (40 cal) is more a solution for a tight chamber than for Glocked cases, and the samples I have seem constricted the case too much, then it is stretched by the bullet diameter creating almost a step near the case base. With continuous reloading with the same case there is a possibility of metal failure at this point (case separation). My gun has a KKM barrel, and it does not need U-resizing die - your mileage my vary.

I use the Lee FCD more to resize the top of the case, and give a gentle crimp. It does not seem to resize the base of the case any further.

I have read reports that Glock, without much advertisement, has been, or had changed the amount of the unsupported barrel in all model, which would contributed to current Glocked cases not having a huge bulge like some years ago. Can someone confirm this?