Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Svi Grips

D.Hayden

Matt uses a Scotts grip and will have it high gripped, 20 lines per inch 'gashes' under the trigger guard and then has is blended to the beaver tail. Works really really well for a good, consistent high grip on the gun.

Here's a picture:

DSC00022.jpg

BradC

Bear in mind that if you undercut the trigger guard - and change nothing else - the gun will point lower. I discovered this by accident.

If you then highcut the grip safety, this will bring the point of the gun back up a little bit. Same with an arched or riser mainspring housing.

If you've never owned a particular brand/model of gun before, I would buy it and shoot it BEFORE you hog material away from the trigger guard (where you bird finger grips it.)

Goes double for an Open gun. For me, every Open gun points low, requiring me to bend my right elbow a lot more than l'd like.

From the factory, the STI/SV frame points a tiny bit higher than a steel frame 1911, probably because the trigger guard is thicker.

My hand and wrist make everything point low - except Glock. :)

dvc - eric - a28026

Its basicly used for the pinch and roll technique Matt teaches on his DVDs. The weak hand index finger is positioned under the trigger guard for consistant grips...

Hope that made sense...

Thanks Mo. Put grip tape under there in my steel gun and after 2 hours of dry fire last night, my weak index finger is sore in that area. But I have to admit my grip felt strangely better with that thing. <_<

MC,

No problem. I have started using it as well and well like I said it does get consistant grips for me. Only problem is that my index finger now has hard skin due to the skateboard tape that I use.... :rolleyes:

Dont think my wife is too happy with that

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...

Damn it,i didnt know you could cut the accessory rail on a stock short dust cover ,as in the picture above.SVI cut my 40cal long dust cover for me,but i would of preferred that done on my STI 45cal short dust cover,and didnt know it could be done.

I used Polyester resin and some silicon carbide abrasive to create my grip. I am told that you can get a wider assortment of colors and textures at craft stores. Some prefer a thin epoxy, instead of the polyester resin, but they both seem to achieve the desired result. Just make sure you mask off all areas that you do not want abrasive to adhere to and apply a thin coat of the adhesive. If the adhesive is too thick it will run or sag and hurt the cosmetics.

I recommend that you practice on a screwdriver first and perfect your technique before attacking a grip.

Good luck,

Leo

After seeing Leos I stopped by Michaels on my way home from the match and purchased 1 bag ea. of red, white, and blue silica sand used for kids sand art and some 5 min epoxy. When I got home I stripped down my Blaster, took all the checkering off of the grip, got out the masking tape and went to work. Now the right side is red, left side is blue with a white front strap. I love it! I no longer use pro-grip and, no matter how sweaty my hands get, there's zero slipage.