Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FN SLP Mk1

33shooter

There is not much in the way of information on these guns out there. I have the chance to buy one right now that is new for $950. I think the price is slightly high, but since I cant find another, and FN says it will be June or July till we see more of them I may jump.

Couple of questions before I go throw out more than I have to.

Anyone have one of these, and what do you think? I have read that they can be finicky on ammo, is this true? I want the mk1 for the barrel length and capacity. Are there any issues they have that I need to know about?

This will be my primary 3 gun shotgun and be a back up for HD (I know they are different roles, and will have it set up accordingly)

Any answers will be appreciated.

Anyone know of one for cheaper right now?

33shooter - Check some of the more recent posts for some more comments on this weapon.

I have the FN SLP. I really like the weapon but I did have some unusual malfunctions that I think have been tracked down and fixed. I also have the Winchester Practical (basically the same weapon built by the same company, rebranded) that has been perfect thus far.

The FN/Winchester is a great alternative for 3-gun because it is basically set to go right out of the box. The flip up rear sight comes in very handy for the long range slug targets. If you can look at the gun in person, flip it over and look at the loading area. Does the lift gate sit square? or is it off kilter? Mine was a little off kilter and that caused some minor problems because it tended to bind or drag. Polished the area where the lifter was dragging and things are good now. I have not personally seen this problem with any other FN/Winchester.

Just for reference. I have had the Remington 1100, the Benelli M1 and M2, and I have kept the FN/Winchester weapons. They just fit me the best.

As far as price, they have gone up a lot. Equal to the Benelli. If you can find one, it will bring top dollar.

I paid $999 about 6 months ago. I love this shotgun. I've shot it in four 3 gun competitions with #8 birdshot, low recoil slugs, and 00 buck and it has never malfunctioned. It's built like a tank, fits me perfectly, and has very soft recoil.

I only wish there was windage adjustment on the flip up sight for slugs. I tried beating it with hammer to slide it in the dovetail but it wouldn't move. My slugs hit about 6" to the left at 100 yards.

I am having a Saiga 12 built for "Open" class but this is simply a fabulous shotgun for "tactical" and personal defense. Since I shoot it so well, I plan to take it out for a round of 5 stand and sporting clays just to try out it and see how I do. Don't let my Beretta O/U find out about this.

+1 on what Brian said. I also have both, but run the Winchester as my primary. 1200fps 1-1/8oz loads run the best for me (Winchester Super Target), lighter/slower isn't 100%.

Couple extra chokes and you are set. Improved cylinder and light mod.

My slugs hit about 3" high and 3" left at 50 yds (Fiocchi low recoil)

I have been looking for a SLP or an SX2 for about a month and a half. The only new Mark 1 gun i could find for sale was $1050, other than that they were rifled barrel models. I think $950 is a good price right now especially with how hard they are to find. I just picked up an SX2 for the same price.

I just found out that LE and active military can purchase from the factory direct from FN. FN stated none will be available till June or July! The savings would be around $250 but I'm not sure I should wait in todays climate. Thoughts?

You can't go wrong at the great deal you are getting. Even if you don't like it, you could turn around and sell without a loss or perhaps even a small profit. My guess is that you will be very happy with it. I haven't had the problem with the loading gate like others have posted. I'll be shooting mine at the Blue Ridge Mountain 3 Gun next week.