Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&w Sigma Trigger Sucks. Help?

mpolans

Hi. I just bought a S&W Sigma 9ve. Couldn't afford the Glock, and it just fits my hand better. Only problem is, the trigger is horrible. It feels like it's about 14lbs!

Anyone have any ideas on how to reduce it? Springs, re-stoning striker or striker release surfaces, etc.???

I think Tom Freeman is the guy you might want to ask...if I have the right person in mind. The Air Force shooter that was/is the Colorado Section Coordinator? I think he used one of those in Production with some success. (he has an add in the classified section right now)

Believe it or not, current production Sigmas have a much better trigger pull than the orginals!

I don't know any names, but I've heard of people who work on the triggers. I'm not sure what can be done about the actual pull weight, but some judicious polishing the way you would on Glock parts would certainly help the feel.

Mark! What were you thinking!?! Have to agree w/ Handgunner about Sigmas sucking (I won't limit my comment to just the trigger). My older brother bought an early .40 Smegma because he liked my Glock - and a Glock it is NOT! BUT, since you own it & I know you can shoot anything out there better than most folks (me included) AND I know you are on a budget, you might start w/:

Stock number 30085 Reduced Power Striker Spring, (1) $3.49 + shipping from W.C. Wolff Co. Toll free (800) 545 0077.

I have looked at my brother's gun enough to know its nothing like a Glock as far as the lower is concerned but once you figure out the mechanism, some cautious polishing w/ Flitz & a FLAT surface ("put DOWN the dremmel and step away from the gun!") should help things out. The reduce power Wolff striker spring in my Glock still sets off everything I feed it including CCI primers (Blazer 9mm).

FLEX: Tom shoots a Steyr M9 in production; & the M9 is a far, far better gun than S&W's cheep glock knock off (anyone get the idea I don't like Sigmas? Love S&W revolvers though). Tom outfitted his steyr w/ Heini slant pros & a trigger job, then he beat up the rest of the Production field w/ a $300 gun that everyone thinks is no longer made (wrong- they are back in business w/ full parts & warranty support). By strange coincidence, the Sigma high-capacity magazines just happen to fit the Steyr M9 & M40 (.40 cal) w/ just an additional mag catch slot & they even hold more than the LEO Steyr mags! (15 v. 12 in .40 and 17 v. 15 in 9mm). Guese Sigmas are not completely useless.

Mark - shouldn't you be in the law library?

By strange coincidence, the Sigma high-capacity magazines just happen to fit the Steyr M9 & M40 (.40 cal) w/ just an additional mag catch slot & they even hold more than the LEO Steyr mags!

Hey! Tell me more . . . I have a bunch of .40 SIGMA mags that no one wants . . .

Err, Rhino - did I say they work? I meant to say that you are right & no one wants them & I'll take them off your hands, no charge & I'll even pick up shipping (haha).

Seriously, I just measured the lenth of the mags v. the gun & realised I had to take several thous. off the top of the basepad (few strokes on sandpaper) to get Sigma mags to sit EXACTLY as high as the factory Steyr mags (measure from top of metal frame insert to top of mag feed lip). The shaved basepads now serve as a mag stop. Then, I removed the mag catch from the Steyr. I cheated and used a machinists awl to mark scribe lines on the Sigma mags outlining the mag catch. I then used a benchtop mill & a Ti coated HSS endmill at high RPM to cut the slot. They work 100% & still function in the Sigma. I did 3 .40s & I also found a 9mm that I will get around to slotting this weekend. Takes some time but its worth it.

Thanks for the info!

I wish I'd known earlier . . . for a while places like CDNN Investments were almost giving those Steyr pistols away! I always thought they looked cool, but the magazine issue kept me from ever considering buying one.

How is the trigger reach? I can't reach the trigger on a Glock very well and a Sigma is just a little too far for me too.

• 2 weeks later...

I had an early Sigma as my first handgun 10 years ago, worst gun I ever owned, almost made me an anti gun liberal!! It was THAT bad.

One neat little habit it had was throwing brass AT my eyes. Really, and canting my head forward a little put that gap between face and glasses right in teh bullseye for the infernal machine. TWICE in one shooting session it threw "warm" brass right into that gap, and sizzled my eyelid.

That was fun.

SIgma has the same problem the XD has LOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG reset.

I hate Glocks too, but somehow, everything else Gaston ignored and tried to reinvent, at least he gave them a short reset.

I shot a Sigma that handgunner did a trigger job on.  Noticeably better, but still not a glock.

YEOWWWW! Talk about damning with feigned praise. That's like saying the new Toyotas are better, but they're no Yugo.

hehe...now, now...I happen to like glocks....

• 5 years later...

note: merged thread - Admin

I have a friend that has just purchased an S&W Sigma 9mm which appears to be a near exact copy of a Glock. Well, one thing with this one is a HORRENDOUS trigger pull and terrible, non-adjustable sights. What can be done to make the trigger pull much, much better and what would you suggest as a nice sight package in a Fiber optic type?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

To be perfectly honest he'd be better off selling it and getting a used Glock. I know the trigger parts can be smoothed up and make a marginal improvement. I won one at a match and sold it to a buddy without firing a single round. I got a chance to shoot a magazine through it a few weeks ago, I'm glad I sold it.

Here is a thread on the S&W forum that may help if he wants to keep it: http://smith-wessonforum.com/eve/forums/a/...04/m/7121027282

there a gunsmith in savanna georgia that can do a trigger job on one.he did my sigma it was 11lbs. to 4 to 5 lbs. no prats needed. Kenny from speed shooter specialties and nemo can vouch for he.

Edited by RickyH