Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

When to load mags?

Bigpops

• 3 weeks later...

I keep many of my mags loaded, but inspect and reload them if I am using them for competition or carry. However, these are stored in waterproof containers in a safe just to be sure.

check your state laws, in Iowa if you have loaded magazines you better have a concealed carry permit.

Even if they are seperated from the gun?

Thanks for the info.

In Ohio I am pretty sure a loaded magazine that fits a gun in the same car constitues a loaded gun if it is the same compartment of the vehicle. We were preached at to keep the magazine out of reach if its loaded. That is if I remember my CCW class correctly.

Nope - In Ohio you cannot transport loaded magazines for your match gun in any compartment of the vehicle (unless you have a CHL, which I assume you do not in this posting).

You must transport all firearms unloaded (Ohio Revised Code 2923.16). The "other compartment" option still requires the firearm to be unloaded.

"Unloaded" is defined in Ohio Revised Code 2923.16(K)(5). A firearm is unloaded:

1) If there is no ammunition in the firearm being transported, and

2) If there is no ammunition in a magazine or speed-loader for the firearm being transported.

Thanks to Ken Hanson, a firearms attorney who shoots USPSA, tgeaches Ohio CCW classes, and who wrote the book, "The Ohio Guide to Firearm Laws".

• 2 weeks later...

I load all my mags with 10 rounds the day before and then top them off when I get to the range. RO's like to rag on us if we are not ready...jokingly of course!

Richard

PS: If I see a special start I download or whatever is needed.

I like to load mine with 10 rounds after each stage, then top them

off when I get a chance to look the next stage over. Some times

you may not need a full mag, to start, then reload with a full one

and go from there. But that is just the way I do it, right or wrong....

Edited by slip knot